Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Like Tree4Likes

Sky Go Outrage!

This is a discussion on Sky Go Outrage! within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Scubbie, No way am I going to fall for that 1 no no no iechyd da...

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Go Outrage!

Scubbie,
      No way am I going to fall for that 1 no no no
      iechyd da

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Don't you think that I would look good after a little peroxide in my hair?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Scubbie,
      Sorry I'm claiming the 5th
      iechyd da

highdef is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01444
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well Scubbie the sods have just updated the Sky Go app to version2 and has made the file you issued defunct. It wont let you open up your original file app without updating and when you do its gives out that infuriating incompaterbility message. Sky are burks.
      Scubbie likes this.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

How are Sky burks? All they want to do is protect their product. Why is that so bad? They're releasing an official app for ICS this month so you're issue is resolved. Now you can move on in your life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      How are Sky burks? All they want to do is protect their product. Why is that so bad? They're releasing an official app for ICS this month so you're issue is resolved. Now you can move on in your life.
      Well what about all the sky customers that Sky have kicked into touch by blocking this apk from working on OS and other phone makes then??? They pay their money like everybody else but are now no longer able to watch sky go as sky will not permit/allow their handset onto their list and these phones are some of the most popular one's in the UK top 10. OK I understand it's up to sky what they do but why keep upsetting their customers all the time, this is why I think this taken from Sky's Mission Statement is a joke:---
      "Because we never forget that Sky is a choice, we put customers first and work hard to earn their trust."
      iechyd da

Thanks

HighDef,
      Yep sky has spent a lot of time locking this new update up, in fact they have added so many locks et al that sometime down the line we think there are going to be a lot of bugs appear.
      iechyd da

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

The Sky Go service is free for Sky TV subscribers. As in you DO NOT PAY FOR IT! The only people that pay for it are non-TV subscribers. It's available on multiple platforms, so saying that someone does not have access to it is not an excuse. Sure, having it on you're phone is nice but that is just one outlet.

And as for the comment about blocking the APK, you do realise that the code and the content for Sky Go is Skys intellectual property. Those people who put the APK up for download and modified the code so that it would work are doing something illegal. Even if they didn't alter the app they still hosted it on an unlicensed website. Companies spend millions each year protecting their property. Games, Movies, Music. All with DRM so that the companies who actually make the product do not lose out. Therefore Sky have every right to want to monitor it and place restrictions on it as they see fit. I'm surprised to see that some of the mods here were so casual about handing out the information as to where you can download it.

With regards to the phones in the top 10, most of the ones that don't already have Sky Go are those with ICS on them as standard. I can tell you for a fact that the main ones (HTC One X, Nexus) are going to be included in the update by the end of this month. The S3 is new but is likely being tested now so that may be included. ICS is different from Gingerbread or Froyo, and until recently it was not the most popular version of the OS. It's only just passed 10% install over all devices in the world. There was not that big of a rush for Sky as they would only have been providing for a niche area. So yeah, it would have been nicer to have it out a couple of months ago, but it's coming now so be happy.

Thanks

I think we have to agree to differ, Sky Go is not Free end of, even Sky have said this. As for the apk you do realise that the coding has only been re-written so other sky customers could use sky go as Sky don't seem interested in looking after their customers who by the way pay a lot of money to sky and yes anybody could have downloaded the hacked apk but not everybody could use it, you still need a subscription from sky to watch. Nobody lost out by using this apk as DRM was still there as you could only watch what you paid for. I'll be a lot happier when it's back up and running. What a way for sky to go with blocking people with ICS this weekend, Their Flagship channel F1 with the British GP coming up and 1000's can no longer watch it on their phones. Great PR stunt Sky.
      iechyd da

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Personally I agree, Sky Go is an extra that is free to Sky subscribers. I fully appreciate that Sky has to protect the streams. They have been doing this for years with the Viewing Card system.

As for the figures, 10% of the world wide androids using ICS, what I would be more interested in specifically knowing is what is the figures for the UK and as 10% is a significant figure, why someone hasn't been working faster to fix things.

What I do find 'silly' is that Sky seem to be intent on locking down the application so that you can't connect the phone to a USB lead that allows you to then connect a HDMI lead so that you can view the content on your TV. Does Sky seriously think that people out there would only specifically purchase a mobile phone so that they can watch Sky Go on their TV?

Again, even a tablet would struggle to do this on a long-term basis. They may save you on additional monthly subscriptions, but the initial outlay isn't worth it IMHO.

Besides, you get a far better range of channels by subscribing to the Multi-room package.

Finally, it someone truly wanted to do this, they can do it better already by purchasing a computer with a descent 5.1 sound card and HDMI output. The HDMI can be connected to the TV & the sound card to your surround system. You can stream the same channels using Sky Go live from Sky's web site, download additional Anytime+ content to watch later and use a 2nd monitor to allow you to do this whilst watching stuff on your TV.

In addition you can view BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4oD, Demand Five, live streams via sites such as TV Catchup, YouTube, Netflix, and so on.

I appreciate that much of this is very likely to be determined by the licensing agreements which Sky will have signed up to in order to air the various content, hence why The Simpsons still cannot be viewed using Sky Go. I suspect that there may be conflicts within the UK with other broadcasters who have these rights. If this is the case then perhaps Sky should consider resolving these issues as they are unable to full fill the full potential of Sky Go as a product.
      Last edited by Scubbie; 06-07-12 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Typo
      Restorer likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast