Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What constitutes a change?

This is a discussion on What constitutes a change? within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; When my kids get muddy, I tell them to get changed. I expect that to mean that they pop upstairs, ...

toppam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marlow
      Broadband ISP: BT Total Broadband Option 3
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

What constitutes a change?

When my kids get muddy, I tell them to get changed. I expect that to mean that they pop upstairs, take off the dirty clothes, and put on clean ones. If they come down wearing the same dirty clothes, but tell me they have changed by taking off the old clothes and putting them back on again, that is not count as getting changed. I suspect the children of Sky people, however, find this a perfectly acceptable way of 'changing'.

So what was that all about? The following is my story, and I publish it here as a warning to others:

The reason I rated your customer service as poor was because of the inability or unwillingness of your people to agree a reasonable course of action and resolve my problem.

I have recently been using an X-Box and laptop as my 2 devices on Sky Go.

My main PC would not work because I had Safari, which is not compatible with Silverlight (and therefore would not allow me to run Sky Go).

Yesterday, I switched back to using Internet Explorer so that I could use Sky Go. However, I needed to delete the Laptop (within Sky’s Rules) so that I might register my main PC. For some technical reason, my main PC still couldn’t be registered, so I had no choice but to de-register the X-Box, whereupon the Main PC was accepted and worked fine. Later, my son tried to use Sky Go through the X-Box, but when he tried to re-register it, your system saw this as a second change in contravention of your terms and conditions.

Your customer service people acknowledged that this may well have been the same X-Box (it was), but were adamant that the act of disconnecting and re-connecting the machine constituted one of the limited number of changes permitted.

Your Web Page ‘Manage My Devices’ states quite clearly:

If you'd like to change your registered devices you can do so once a month.

Whilst I acknowledge that I changed one device yesterday, the X-Box was NOT changed for a different device, it was simply de-registered and then re-registered. NOT CHANGED!

I do not believe I have contravened your Ts and Cs, and am livid that I am being penalised because of your draconian implementation of the limitations being applied to my use of Sky Go.

May I respectfully suggest that the statement above on your website be changed to reflect the fact that your interpretation of ‘change’ includes disconnection and re-registering of the same device?

If my particular case could be re-considered, I would be obliged.

Regards etc

I don't suppose anyone out there has had a positive outcome from this type of exchange with Sky?

toppam

toppam

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Re: What constitutes a change?

Annoyingly Sky Go is only available to be played on 2 devices per Sky account.

Even more annoying is the fact that one device can be a PC/Laptop, and the other can be a Smart Phone (i.e. iPhone or Android).

It is enough to upset a lot of other members too.

There are many issue with the Sky Go Player, for example if you reset the Silverlight settings with a program such as CCleaner, your PC becomes unregistered & you have to redo everything.

I appreciate Sky's issues with piracy and trying to ensure that people don't take the mickey and let their kids watch Sky at University with their parent's account, whilst Daddy watches Sky on the commute to work as well. Personally I think that they have gone a little OTT.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

toppam is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Marlow
      Broadband ISP: BT Total Broadband Option 3
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Pretty sure you can't get SkyGo on any old smartphone, isn't it only available on iPhone?

They called me back tonight. Agreed it was illogical and that the problem was that the way their software is set-up it's not capable of distinguishing between the same device re-registering (ie no change) and a brand new device registering (ie a change). She agreed that this was a problem and meant that some people are being unfairly prevented from getting Sky Go. However, she was adamant that 'Computer Says No' is a perfectly good response from the Customer (Dis)service Centre, and they won't budge ... oh, and apparently I'm one of many people with the same problem ... so that's OK then.

I wonder when Sky will get some competition in the UK?

toppam

toppam

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

No problem.

To be fair I hardly ever use Sky Go.

I have enough video content downloaded on to a drive (either NAS or External) to watch when I like.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms