Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Virgin Media scared of sky player

This is a discussion on Virgin Media scared of sky player within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I've been with VM for years and was very upset when they refused to buy sky atlantic. To top things ...

gravy1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: d.gray370@ntlworld.com
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Virgin Media scared of sky player

I've been with VM for years and was very upset when they refused to buy sky atlantic. To top things off instead of partnering something like google tv, apple tv or incorporating a media centre into their STB they've joined TiVo that old box from the late 90's.... okay it's had a bit of a facelift and uses linux instead of HTML but it's lost some good features from early Tivos (I wasn't a fan) and features from current Tivos (bluetooth etc...) and lost good features from the current VM set top box. It is presently being beta tested by staff and around 1500 customers and teething problems (that should eventually get fixed) are plentiful enough to get them their own VM tivo forum to save a few red faces. Anyway being anti TiVo I did point out one possible plus point.... rather than streaming sky player from pc to tv.... TiVo is connected to the internet and could access it direct.... The mods said SKY would be uninterested in having access to VMs 3.8 million customers by writing an app allowing them to pay for sky player and viewing it via Tivo but if VM customers can AND do pay for sky player now and watch either on pc or streamed to tv then what's the difference. So does anyone know if Sky would refuse to allow their sky player via Tivo or are VM going to block the competition and try blaming Sky ? I'm stuck with VM xl TV till june but then its sky player and freeview HD for me and I'll still be 15 a month better off... Hmm maybe I'll spend that extra cash on a X box and stream sky player through that.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Virgin Media scared of sky player

The Sky STBs that allow Anytime+ to be connected don't currently allow BBC iPlayer or ITV Player or 4oD or Channel 5 Player. So your issue isn't just limited to your Virgin STB.

I bought a Samsung TV the other week. It does have a BBC iPlayer application & I am able to use this on the Sky BB. It doesn't have apps for the ITV, Ch4, Ch5 or Sky Players.

Whether it was Virgin who decided not to pay Sky's asking price for Sky Atlantic or Sky's Executive Board deciding not to make it available is neither here nor there. It would have been a commercial decision that you & I don't get a vote in (unless you're really Rupert Murdoch). BSkyB has a desire to be big.

Virgin has a desire to make profits too. All too often they don't lay cable in areas where they should. Like any other company out there, they will find ways to not fulfil there obligations.

Sky can be as bad. If they chose to, they could have launched an FTTC & FTTP product range by now. They could also invest more money in the Sky Connect package.

However, with the right computer & TV combination, it is possible for you to connect the two together and watch all your Sky Player content on the TV.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

I_Hate_Sky_Awnsers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin
      Thanks

Re: Virgin Media scared of sky player

Possibly but when a device is connecting to a website it sends a character String to identify itself so they could block free access and require a paid version

An example would be Hulu in the US. it used to be free to everyone but when the ipad came out and didn't have flash, they created a paid app version and were able to identify the ipad via the character string. Therefore they were able to block you from being able to use a VPN and flash to HTML5 conversion on the fly as a work around

The reason i no this was because i spend a great deal of time trying to find a way around it to get back to having it free without having to use my PC

NOTE since the paid service required a credit card you could not pay for it if you lived outside of the US. Its not i was unwilling to pay and more that international copyright decided i couldn't.
      Links Router Stats Useful Tutorials Speed Test Check For Test Socket Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise

Results from http://www.speed.io (Copied on 2011-04-08 16:36:58)
      Download: 50000 Kbit/s Upload : 4361 kbit/s Connects : 2446 conn/min Ping: 21 ms