Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Clearing cookies/history etc resets skyplayer?

This is a discussion on Clearing cookies/history etc resets skyplayer? within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi all, I often user a program called ccleaner in order to clear cookies, temp internet files, history etc for ...

gilva18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Clearing cookies/history etc resets skyplayer?

Hi all,
      I often user a program called ccleaner in order to clear cookies, temp internet files, history etc for reasons such from using cashback websites who require this actions, to preventing ID fraud and banking etc.
      Whenever I do this, and then want to use Skyplayer, it shows me my laptop isnt registered and I have to go thru the registration process. Thats fine for the first 4 times, then I have to wait until the next month.
      Does anybody know if my user of ccleaner or sim program would wipe the files required for skyplayer to work?
      I spoke to Sky who said it shoudn't affect it but it certainly does. I even carried out a trial where I used sky player, then deleted cookies etc then tried again and it didnt recognise my PC.
      Can anyone tell me what files NOT to delete when cleaning my computer in otder that skyplayer is not disrupted?
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Sheepish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Clearing cookies/history etc resets skyplayer?

There's a setting somewhre in the newer versions of ccleaner for clearing 'Microsoft Silverlight'. You need to deselect that option if you want Sky Player to recognise your computer after running a clean.

gilva18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
      There's a setting somewhre in the newer versions of ccleaner for clearing 'Microsoft Silverlight'. You need to deselect that option if you want Sky Player to recognise your computer after running a clean.
      Thank you for your reply.

When I use ccleaner it doesny wipe away microsoft silverlight, that remains. It just doesnt recognise my laptop and I have to go thru the process of the computer being recognised like it was the first time etc?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would think the information is stored in a Cookie. Untick 'Clear cookies' in the list of things CCleaner should remove. If you use a browser other than IE, click the Applications tab on CC and you will find the Cookie entry for Firefox, Chrome etc.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Sheepish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

No ccleaner doesn't remove Silverlight entirely but it does clear the Silverlight storage, which SkyPlayer needs for identifying your computer. There was a post about it on the official forum but I've not been able to find it again for you.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There is an entry for Silverlight in the latest version, v3.2, It can be found on the Applications tab, under Multimedia.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Awest3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've turned off CCleaner apps which cleans up silverlight, I've ensured the cookie remains and I stll get 'silverlight not installed' when it is and the latest version. Does anyone know the files which must not be altered to ensure this problem goes away..?