Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Any way to limit unauthorise downloads?

This is a discussion on Any way to limit unauthorise downloads? within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Now, I understand about the small print and that's why movies are being downloaded that I haven't requested, never would ...

rileyc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01793
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Any way to limit unauthorise downloads?

Now, I understand about the small print and that's why movies are being downloaded that I haven't requested, never would request, and will delete without ever watching them, but is there any way to limit the number of simultaneous downloads? More often than not, when I start up Skyplayer to watch a movie, it instantly starts simultaneously downloading 3 or 4 movies, which monopolises my CPU and completely locks up SkyPlayer, so it's not possible for me to watch a movie, nor to so much as pause any downloads, let alone cancel them. I used to use Skyplayer quite a lot to watch movies, but I rarely use it now as it's increasingly difficult to watch a movie on it, because of this issue with multiple unrequested downloads.

Is there any way of reducing this burden? Because if there isn't Skyplayer really is of very little use now for watching Sky content, only for downloading content that I don't want to watch, which is a pity because it used to be quite a nice viewer before it started doing this.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Any way to limit unauthorise downloads?

It will possibly be eating into your upload bandwidth as well, as you will be 'feeding' other users. There is no way to control how much you download/upload. You don't have to have the SkyPlayer software installed to use it. The only advantage is that the program is stored on your PC so you can watch offline.

If you have Win 7 it works very well through Windows Media Centre. That is how I use it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Afraid I'm still on XP on my PC. I'm kind of stuck in a hole there. I stayed with XP because I was determined to avoid Vista like the plague, and now there's no direct upgrade from XP to 7, which strikes me as very bad in both programming and marketing, but hey that's Microsoft.

Actually, I finally discovered a way to thwart it last night. I pulled the plug on my modem so there was no connection, then restarted SkyPlayer in offline mode. Then I could go to Planner and delete all of the midstream downloads - and yes, it was 4 simultaneous downloads again. Then I plugged my modem in and restarted SkyPlayer in online mode, and it didn't attempt to restart them. I restarted it again today and it still didn't attempt it, so I guess I've fooled it.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

The lack of upgrade to win7 on launch was down to the EU playing silly sods with MS and that is why MS did full retail copies for 45 on preorder to make the EU look bad.

Now there are OEM copies, as well as upgrade copies avaliable on Amazon, although the full retail copy is only a few pounds more, so this is most likely why it is still the big seller out there, especially as you can upgrade from XP on any of the discs.

But as said before Windows media center handles everything a whole lot better than the Sky player.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Sorry, no, I didn't mean that you couldn't buy the upgrade version. I meant that when you convert from XP to 7 you have to completely reinstall everything on your pc because you lose all files, programs and settings. And whenever you have to do that you never get everything back, you always lose stuff. I think the only way to avoid all that grief is to upgrade from XP to Vista, and then to 7, but that would probably be even more grief.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you have XP the best way to upgrade is to buy another disk and install Win 7 on it. That way you have your original copy of XP and all your programs and data are available, with a dual boot should you want it. There is no chance of loosing anything. I would never advise upgrading on top of an existing OS anyway, all you are doing is storing up problems. A clean install wins very time.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Yup I dual booted win7 with XP 64bit until I was happy with win7, the best bit as well that you can use win 7 backup to ghost all the drives, even the XP ones.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!