Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kontiki

This is a discussion on Kontiki within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hiya All, Does any1 know if I've not got Kontiki installed on my PC, that it would affect sky player ...

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Kontiki

Hiya All,
      Does any1 know if I've not got Kontiki installed on my PC, that it would affect sky player not working in windows 7 media center?
      cheers

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Kontiki

If the media center addon installed kontiki (cant remember if it does) and you removed it then yes it will stop sky player working.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Windows 7 media player uses an add on from MS which adds sky player functionality.

There is a 2nd one for MSN internet TV

I had a load of problems with the Sky player on win7 it just refused to work for weeks then suddenly it started working.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Aye that's my problem Win7 Media Center now refuses to run sky player, I will have to look at the add-ons, as I can't find Kontiki installed on my PC

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Under programs and features it is called "Sky player for windows media center"

It may be worthwile uninstalling it and letting WMC redownload it.

I don't think it is Kontiki based but something MS has adapted from the MSN internet TV add on.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

EssexUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Latchingdon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1360 View Post
      Aye that's my problem Win7 Media Center now refuses to run sky player, I will have to look at the add-ons, as I can't find Kontiki installed on my PC
      I just re installed the new Sky Player after the usual mishaps well over a year ago.

duel boot Vista ultimate - Win 7 Pro
      8gb
      2 x 4870 in crossfire

it runs for 10 minutes..then disconnects saying I have no internet connection yet my internet is till up and fully functional.

I wonder why we pay for all this when we get nothing but headaches. Anyone got any ideas or experience of this issue. Is there a workaround, is there a problem between win Media Player and its updated code and Kontiki that is causing this problem.

I have the BBC Iplayer on the Vista OS and that works fine.

both ops are on different installation disks so no confusion there if anyone asks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

it runs for 10 minutes..then disconnects saying I have no internet connection yet my internet is till up and fully functional.
      Are you using wireless? If so try changing the channel.

If you are not using wireless, check in the Power Options of your PC that it is not set to disconnect the network.

If you have downloaded the Sky Player software to allow you to watch off line, you will be using P2P. The Kontiki system uses Kserve and Khost to provide the service, check in your Start up programs for these. Be aware that they run all the time, whether you are using Sky Player or not. If you are watching live, all you need is Win 7 Media Centre which does not use P2P.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I am Fibre/Wifi conenction.

Thank you for a reply.

One interesting point there. Is that Kontiki is working all the time if not watching live. I was watching ( trying) the Sat Sky Sports 1 service. Which is live ?

I did miss out a vital bit of information i noticed later. That is, it kept crashing when I invoked the always on top window mode.The icon bottom right of the player. That means WMP has to work in window mode. I wonder if that is the root cause. Anyone else experienced that, or is it a known issue?

Going back to your comments on Kontiki always on. I was concerned after i switched out of Sky Player later in the evening. That the computers rescources were in heavy use. Memory / disk and some internet data. I checked ports using Cports. Finding that as you said Kontiki seemed to be very active with 5 programs open. with 1 path open to a remote address. It was 'scanning' my drives and sending / receiving data.

I saved the data to Cports log to verify later and yes Kontiki was sending data to an IP address associated with Kontiki.com

What data is being 'sent' why was Kontiki 'scanning' my hard drives. Are other Sky Player users 'aware' that Kontiki does this, or has done it.

If other forums members were aware of this, is there an innocent explanation or is it nefarious marketing data trawling. ?

If the latter, then this is open to some debate. Sounds at the moment a bit like the Phorm nonsense we had with BT. Are Kontiki doing the same?

I have now removed SkyPlayer and all known entries to Kontiki including locked and hidden files as well as the registry. Until hopefuly the forum peeps and internet searches give peace of mind that Kontiki is totaly above board as a marketing tool and operating within the UK / EU laws with the full 'consent' of the user.

A lot of points, concerns and questions. Sorry if i have gone off the track a bit.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

What data is being 'sent' why was Kontiki 'scanning' my hard drives. Are other Sky Player users 'aware' that Kontiki does this, or has does it.
      It is not a marketing tool, it is a P2P client, just like Limewire and other P2P programs. It is 'sharing' files from the movies or other programs you have downloaded, with others who have Sky Player installed. It is not so bad when you have an unlimited allowance, but if you don't, it is eating into your allowance. Watching Live TV with WMC does not use P2P, so you don't need it installed.

PS - I see you have a good example of how bad speedtest.net is.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for heads up. Just a note I had not downloaded any movies or ' other programs' that I would want to share with Sky Player I presume you mean any 'SKY' programmes?

I had only just installed on Saturday to watch Sky Sports 1 as I worked. No downloads from sky nothing. Hence my concern.

But thanks for info on WMP i will try it out later for 'live' forecasts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast