Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change

This is a discussion on Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Just been sent this email from Sky, regarding Sky Player. Dear Sky Player customer, We are writing to let you ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change

Just been sent this email from Sky, regarding Sky Player.

Dear Sky Player customer,

We are writing to let you know about some changes we are making to the Sky Player terms and conditions, including the way we provide advertising on Sky Player.

In future, the advertising you see on Sky Player may be better tailored to your interests. The new system, which is called Sky AdSmart, uses customer information to replace some general adverts with ones which we believe to be more relevant to viewers' potential preferences and interests. This will not result in you seeing additional adverts. To explain both how we will use your information with Sky AdSmart and how you can opt out of receiving tailored advertising, we have updated Sky's Privacy Policy. The question and answer section below also provides further details.

We have also made some other changes to the Sky Player Terms and Conditions, as follows:

We are expanding the number and types of devices through which you may receive the Sky Player service. Full details about these new platforms and devices, including information on compatibility, are set out on the Sky Player website, which is updated regularly. (See Ways to watch in the About Sky Player section of skyplayer.com).

We have included more detailed information about the use of cookies (see section 4.7 and Sky's Privacy Notice) and

We have clarified your rights in relation to ending your subscription (see section 8).
      The updated terms are available here. Please take time to read them carefully.

If you are a Sky Player TV subscriber, your continued use of the Sky Player TV service from 10 December 2009 onwards will constitute your agreement to these new terms, including the use of your information for tailored advertising on Sky Player.

If you use any of the other services on Sky Player, these updated terms will apply to your continued use of the service(s) immediately following receipt of this notice. Please note that you can opt out of tailored advertising on Sky Player at any time by logging into My Sky on sky.com and going to Manage my profile.

For more information on how to enjoy Sky Player, please visit: skyplayer.com

Kind regards,

The Sky Player Team
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. Advertisement
      Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Re: Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change

Hmmmm! Targetted advertising? Shades of BT?

Already altered my Prefs.
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Matari is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Yes indeed it is shades of BT and Phorm - have also altered my prefs to 'opt out'. Alex Hanff who fought the good fight on the Phorm issue is on the case: https://nodpi.org/

When will companies realise that WE HATE BEING TRACKED and will eventually ditch them? Tut.

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

Also opted out. Thanks for the heads up on this NR

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Contact Form email sent expressly forbidding Sky to record my browsing habits for the purpose of targetted advertising.
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I don't agree with the fact that you have to opt out, and I also don't agree with the fact that you are deemed to have accepted the new terms and conditions as from 10 December 2009 onwards.

Please note that you can opt out of tailored advertising on Sky Player at any time by logging into My Sky on sky.com and going to Manage my profile.

If you are a Sky Player TV subscriber, your continued use of the Sky Player TV service from 10 December 2009 onwards will constitute your agreement to these new terms, including the use of your information for tailored advertising on Sky Player.

And what does this mean?

If you use any of the other services on Sky Player, these updated terms will apply to your continued use of the service(s) immediately following receipt of this notice.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 200
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post

And what does this mean?

If you use any of the other services on Sky Player, these updated terms will apply to your continued use of the service(s) immediately following receipt of this notice.
      To cover VOD?
      "To help would be a great adventure"

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SatDish View Post
      To cover VOD?
      But I could accidentally agree to those conditions by not knowing what constitutes If you use any of the other services on Sky Player, these updated terms will apply to your continued use of the service(s) immediately following receipt of this notice. It is that is part of that service, before having the chance to opt out. (as in now after having received that email)

canonman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newington
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Excuse my ignorance here folks, Currently I do not have any computers registered with Sky Player. Does this mean Sky cannot track my surfing habits and target me with junk?

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by canonman View Post
      Excuse my ignorance here folks, Currently I do not have any computers registered with Sky Player. Does this mean Sky cannot track my surfing habits and target me with junk?
      At this time it seems to be limited to people using Sky Player - rather than bombard you with random ads Sky will bombard you with ads chosen from your browsing habits.

Unlike Phorm, who got into hot water over doing this without telling anyone, Sky appear to be acting ethically and informing people this will happen.

However you have to opt out, which is against the EU directive of only allowing opting in.

So Sky may be in trouble at some point - but as it's not to be used directly on your Internet browsing it's not quite Phorming (in the way BT planned to use the service).

It does however leave a nasty taste in the mouth. Broadband charges up, unwelcome use of browsing habits. Next Murdoch is to try charging for access to 'his' news stories. All feels rather tacky.

It's another nail in the coffin of my relationship with Sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast