Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change

This is a discussion on Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I *think* the opt out doesn't refer to electronically delivered services that you have to actually *use* - in order ...

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change

I *think* the opt out doesn't refer to electronically delivered services that you have to actually *use* - in order to use Sky Player, you actually have to trigger it - go to the website and run it, or run the app on your XBOX.

The opt in thing relates to service that encompass all - like phorm, which used your normal browsing 'anywhere on the web' to send you adverts; this is JUST going to happen on SkyPlayer, so I think they can wing it on that one.

I'm not worried about having tailored ads from my Sky account used to deliver stuff within Player, but I'd be worried about getting it during my normal browsing.
      ---reech---

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm not worried about having tailored ads from my Sky account used to deliver stuff within Player, but I'd be worried about getting it during my normal browsing.
      Are you not worried, that its your path across the internet, and your Sky account that is *potentially* being tracked and then giving you adverts?

To me reading that email and their privacy page, Sky are using the services of audiencescience.

The Audience Science cookie enables behavioural advertising. Audience Science uses the cookie to place your device in certain advertising segments (e.g. sports segment) based on the content you view on Sky online services and websites and selected third party websites. This cookie is then recognised when you visit Sky online services and websites and/or selected third party sites, and enables advertising to be served according to the segments your device is in.

If you do not wish to receive such behavioural advertising then please refer to the privacy policy of Audience Science:
      Online Advertising Network, Audience Targeting Advertising, Advertising Online Services, Online Ad Revenue : AudienceScience

You can opt-out of their cookie by following these instructions:
      http://www.audiencescience.com/docs/nai.pdf. Audience Science will send an “opt-out cookie” to your device: please note that if you subsequently delete all of your cookies, you will also delete the Audience Science opt-out cookie.
      Although as previously stated, during the recent APComms Inquiry it was indicated, that: (paragraph 116)

We do not believe that it is at all appropriate to consider the deployment of any type of
      behavioural advertising system without explicit, informed, “opt-in” by everyone whose
      data is to be processed, and whose behaviour is to be monitored and whose interests are
      to be deduced. We do not believe that “opt-out”, however commercially convenient, is the way that these systems should be run. To that extent, the Good Practice Principles
      promoted by the Internet Advertising Bureau are insufficient to protect people.
      Although this is not a Phorm product as in it uses DPI - It is similar in respect that unless you specifically OPT OUT then it could mean, that you are potentially getting a profile built up of you or your families browsing habits, to then be shown adverts on Sky Player, remembering of course that it is your kids, that are potentially going to be using this service as well as yourself.

By making people OPT OUT then it leaves the business model and profit intact. If you then change it to OPT IN the companies using this type of technology could potentially lose approx 70% of any likely income, therefore no where near as attractive.

If my way of thinking and understanding is incorrect then I would welcome Sky to correct me, in this thread.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Also just to confirm to OPT OUT you need to:

• Login to: My Sky
      • Choose: Edit My Sky Profile
      • Tick the box in this paragraph. Sky online services and websites use tailored advertising. By using Sky online services and websites you are indicating your agreement to receiving tailored advertising unless you tick the box to opt out (notice the wording, unless you tick the box to opt out)
      • Click save at the bottom of that page

I have also ticked the box in the paragraph, Sky and our business partners may use the details you give us to contact you about our products and services. You are indicating your agreement to this unless you tick the box to opt out and fired off an email ages ago to complain about my right to not have Sky pass my details, between departments or any third party companies, but still to this day, I get spam (imo) emails from Sky about Sky Movies and other Sky services.

If they don't act on your right to stop this by jumping through all the hoops and then you still receive the spam emails etc then it is possible that it would just be ignored no matter what you tick or agree / disagree to.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

How weird is this?

Yesterday I was looking for some silicone tubing for an air pump for my fishtank and doing a simple Google search produced a link for Halfords, which I clicked on out of curiosity to see how much it would cost.

Today on Sky News website, I get..... I'll let you guess.

An advert from Halfords with the same tubing on it. Now the cynic in me would say that this cannot be coincidence, as I would have thought Halfords would be better off showing adverts for Bikes or SatNav etc, rather than an insignificant piece of blue tubing.

The even more puzzling thing, I definitely opted out of targetted ads.

It could be just coincidence, but if it is, its highly spooky, considering, that I get that same advert on all of the pages that I visit on Sky News's website. Although I now accept it could be entirely the network that Halfords uses that has caused this.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change-halfords261109.jpg   Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change-halfords2611092.jpg   Sky Player Terms and Conditions Change-halfordsad2611093.jpg  
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 26-11-09 at 09:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12