Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot Download From Sky Player

This is a discussion on Cannot Download From Sky Player within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I'm having a bit of trouble downloading from Sky Player. It was working just fine a few days ago, but ...

mikeb81 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cannot Download From Sky Player

I'm having a bit of trouble downloading from Sky Player. It was working just fine a few days ago, but now it just sits at 0% indefinitely. I recently uninstalled BBC Iplayer and I thought that may have messed things up because I know it uses the same download manager as Sky, but KHost.exe and KService.exe are still there and running.

Things I've already done trying to troubleshoot...

• Checked the sky_prod directory, it doesn't have the download in there. At first I thought that maybe the player was downloading to a temporary directory and only moving the files across when it was done, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
      • Checked my firewall. It isn't blocking KHost.exe or KService.exe, and it doesn't appear to have blocked any traffic in the relevant timeframe. It also confirms that Sky Player is definitely not downloading anything, traffic to and from my PC is minimal.
      • Re-installed IPlayer, which had no effect. It re-installed KHost.exe and KService.exe because my firewall noticed they had changed and asked me if I still wanted to allow it access to the network, which I of course said yes to.
      • Tried to stream rather than downloading: this worked. Doesn't really help me though because I want to use my XBox 360 as a media extender, which is much easier if I download the file.

I'm almost tempted to install Wireshark so I can see whether Kontiki is even trying to download the show. There are no visible errors in the Sky Player GUI so I guess it isn't going to be an obvious error.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Cannot Download From Sky Player

Ok, now I've tried uninstalling Sky Player, running KClean.exe to remove the download manager, and then re-installing Sky Player. Still the same symptoms though...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Now it's even more confusing. Some things will download and others won't.

There are 3 programs it claims to be downloading. 2 of them have not started at all and are at 0%. Another one it claims to be at 33%, but it has completed downloading.

Anyone have any ideas?

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Is the sky player not block in anyway, if you are using a firewall worth a look at least.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply...

It's definitely not blocked. The firewall isn't reporting any blocking, I've looked in the logs. Plus some of the things are downloading some of the time which also implies it's not blocking. It's all very hit and miss. I hope the Xbox 360 version is better implemented than this.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

I have no more ideas, but I am sure someone will post who has more no - how on this subject. hope you sort it.

RobinCornelius is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01872
      Broadband ISP: Demon
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I'm seeing similar things and can't find a reason either. I downloaded today 3 episodes of stargate universe, the 4th will not start and is stuck at 0%. Its a shame as i was hoping to get these on my laptop for a trip.

Wireshark is showing communications in and out of my system to the sky servers, so its not firewall, although there are TCP and UDP packets so maybe there is some UDP packet loss or something causing an issue, but it looks more like the server side is not streaming the data.

amac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01224
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

I have been having similar problems for weeks with different episodes of different programmes. There doesn't appear to be any local PC issue and eventually I can download an episode if I retry enough times (restarting PC or removing from Library then "Downloading" again)

If anyone knows a better way then I would be really grateful to find out.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yeah, that's exactly the same as me. Most of the things I try and get will download...eventually. But it's far from consistent and sometimes it does nothing at all.

I think (but can't be sure) that the problem is worse on an evening so I imagine that my ISP is doing a lot of p2p throttling at peak time. I don't see why that would cause the download manager to do nothing at all though, it should just go slowly.

I was hoping the sky player on xbox360 would sort the issues out but as of yet I can't even download it, let alone use it!

BigJake173 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Just joined tonight as I'm having the same problem. I can watch streeming content but I can't get the download to work? I don't have any suggestions but 'you are not alone'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast