Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Player download, waste of space?

This is a discussion on Sky Player download, waste of space? within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have been trying to watch the ashes on Sky Player but its constantly buffering and making it impossible to ...

hotnuts21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberystwyth
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Sky Player download, waste of space?

I have been trying to watch the ashes on Sky Player but its constantly buffering and making it impossible to watch, so I took a look at the downloadable sky player which boats the ability to watch and save programmes. I presumed this would be like Iplayer and allow me to pause programmes etc

However its now up and running, and essentially its just a web browser which points to the sky player website. I cant see how to download programmes, pause programmes or download and watch.

I have a very fast internet connection so im amazed its needing constant buffering. I want to be able to watch the ashes, if I could download and watch it 5 - 10 minutes behind time, so it can download in the background and play back to me that would be good. But like I said above it just seems to be a glorified web browser.

Its very unintuitive how to use it, how to bookmark programmes, how to even find programmes. Does it all have to be done through the woefull library page.

The official help covers a lot on what you can do, but not actually how to do it!

Anyone else got any suggestions on how to use this software to watch the ashes slight behind? Where is the pause feature, even most online players allow you to pause and load in the background??

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Azasmith is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Harrowden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Player download, waste of space?

The navigation buttons are accessed when the player loads, basically on mouseover the pause button becomes visible ON the video.

As for constant buffering, try uninstalling and reinstalling Silverlight.

hotnuts21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberystwyth
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Reinstalling silverlight has definitely helped thanks for that.

Regards the pause button, when watching the Live cricket if I hover over the 'vid' I get a tv like tv guide pop up with channels, programme showing, full screen, volume etc and the only control button is a square stop button. I guess you only get pause on recorded and not live ?

-db10: is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

no idea why but sky player keeps downloading movies onto my library without me even visiting the page to view the information to that movie. there are some movies that i do download but sometimes when i look in my library a completely random one is there which i have no interest in and must have downloaded in the background.

not sure how this happened either because unless i am using it i always exit sky player.
      any ideas?? maybe i'll just stop using the downloaded sky player app and use the web browser...