Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Player renting etc

This is a discussion on Sky Player renting etc within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I havent used Sky Player for a while due to the problems of ringing sky to activate it on the ...

Spinal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky Player renting etc

I havent used Sky Player for a while due to the problems of ringing sky to activate it on the PC you using - the new option of setting this up the online settings ive started using it again.

But.

What is it with the renting/price thing.

For example 24 Series 7 - i have all recorded on the sky+ box downstairs, but thought ohh, i can watch them on the PC up stairs.

No i have to pay 1.47 for each episode.

Sky aint happy with the money they get from me with us having the TV pack (everything apart from the sprorts), Sky Max BB, sky phone and line rental.

24 has 24 episodes so for S7 it would be 35.28, id would only get to watch them within a certain time etc.

I found out i can buy the DVD Box set for 71p less.

I get the nice box set, DVDS, extras etc, and i can watch when ever i want.

If i were to by each episode off sky player it would cost 1.97 per episode thats 47.28 - 12.29 MORE than it is to order the box setc for play.

WTF

Its not just 24, there is quite a lot of other stuff this seams to apply to.

House S5 is currently on Sky 1, watch it on Sky Player you get charged.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Player renting etc

Same as buying Lost on iTunes, its the studios or the TV Station that would be setting the prices.

Unfair I know, but a DVD has a wider audience, more sales, so they can drop the price.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Player renting etc

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Unfair I know, but a DVD has a wider audience, more sales, so they can drop the price.
      Economies of scale would certainly apply to a physical medium such as a DVD as this has to be manufactured, distributed, stocked and then sold, with associated costs at each stage. However, it's hard to see how that would apply to electronically distributed media, especially as in this case I wouldn't have thought the media owner is having to pay for the distribution (or are they?).