Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sky Player on the Xbox 360

This is a discussion on Sky Player on the Xbox 360 within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I have a feeling you are still going to need a multi room subscription to use it, so all it ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Player on the Xbox 360 [Was "True ??"]

I have a feeling you are still going to need a multi room subscription to use it, so all it is doing really is replacing a Sky box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      ccsnet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I posted this in the Sky Player section..... to save any one looking over there here it is....

First look: Sky Player on the Xbox 360 | News | TechRadar UK from Sky Vod! - Page 2 - Sky+ HD - Digital Spy Forums

&

Digital TV Europe.net - BSkyB strikes Xbox partnership with Microsoft

BSkyB strikes Xbox partnership with Microsoft29 May 09 -
      UK pay-TV provider BSkyB is to make its Sky Player online TV service available to Xbox game console users in the UK and Ireland from the autumn.

The deal with Microsoft means that Xbox owners will be able to access pay-TV content via their entertainment consoles for the first time. Customers who join Sky through the Xbox will be able to sign up to a number of subscription packages as well as access programming on a pay-per-view basis.

Existing Sky subscribers with an Xbox will also be able to view on-demand programming through the Xbox, while multiroom and top-tier broadband subscribers will be able to view live TV via the device.
      Terran

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have a feeling you are still going to need a multi room subscription to use it, so all it is doing really is replacing a Sky box.
      And considering that the Xbox 360 isn't exactly well known for it's build quality then I'd stick with a Sky box.

It could be useful for flats or listed buildings where there may be an issue with dishes, but I geuss that you will need a Sky BB subscription and that you will need a fairly good speed to get the live streaming.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Moved to the "Sky Player" forum (meant to do it last night but forgot).

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Some screenshots here Sky dishes up iPlayer-style service for Xbox 360 ? Register Hardware

Do Sky see this as a route to new subscribers or a way to get existing subscribers to take additional services? I don't have an X-Box, so it isn't obvious to me if this is a significant improvement in availability.
      I like the screenshots.

This is an interesting idea, but seeing as my Sky box & my Xbox 360 are both hooked up to the same TV, I think I'd stick with using the Sky box... Will be interesting to try out though, so long as I don't have to pay extra.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Re: Sky Player on the Xbox 360

As said in the other post, looks like Sky and MS have tried to Scoop the CANVAS system which is announced next week (according to C4 news).

For me that sounds like a better deal with BBC, ITV and BT offering an open source freeview box which offers VOD.

Of course like most things the devil is in the detail and both systems could fall on their face.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

no1Joeno1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Shouldn't it but free if you are an existing customer? As Sky player is on the PC.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

This is a bit different from iPlayer which has limited viewing options. This system gives access to the full live TV experience which is what multi room gives, at a cost.

while multiroom and top-tier broadband subscribers will be able to view live TV via the device.
      It is not too clear whether this means you need multi room or the top broadband package, or whether you need both to benefit. Time will tell I suppose

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right - heres a question..... I know that the PS3 Iplayer interface is just a simple web page ala this BBC iPlayer - Bigscreen :: Home - Soooooo is the interface in the 360 simular eg can be run from a PC like you could on MCE or is it a custom 360 app thingy..... ( I ask as I dont own a 360 but use the above through a PC a lot )

It could do with a HTML sniffer on the network when its out.....

Terran

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ccsnet View Post
      Right - heres a question..... I know that the PS3 Iplayer interface is just a simple web page ala this BBC iPlayer - Bigscreen :: Home - Soooooo is the interface in the 360 simular eg can be run from a PC like you could on MCE or is it a custom 360 app thingy..... ( I ask as I dont own a 360 but use the above through a PC a lot )

It could do with a HTML sniffer on the network when its out.....

Terran

The Sky Player interface for the 360 is a custom thing, part of the 360's "Dashboard". There are screenshots here: Sky dishes up iPlayer-style service for Xbox 360 ? Register Hardware

As for the iPlayer, the 360 has no web browser, so cannot use it like the PS3 can.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You live and learn.....

Terran

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast