Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky player only showing me half of 24 episode?!

This is a discussion on Sky player only showing me half of 24 episode?! within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hello I am new to the forum and also to sky player and I have a very annoying problem. I ...

Urchin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky player only showing me half of 24 episode?!

Hello

I am new to the forum and also to sky player and I have a very annoying problem.

I missed 24 ep 3 and started watching it on the Sky player.
      It got to about 15 mins into the episode then got stuck/stopped.

I started it again, it froze again in the same spot.

I noticed that the icon thing at the bottom is showing as if I have come to the end of the episode - the circle is at the end of the time line, but the time says 14.45/41.00 so I should have a long time left in the episode.

Have I missed something here?
      What do I do? Help!

2. Advertisement
      lotr43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01922
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Re: Sky player only showing me half of 24 episode?!

i am having the same problem with both 24 and Lost with an annoying Alfa Romeo advert keep popping up

Sheepish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Most stuff has an advert at about this time, it should show this and then continue with the program afterwards. Does this happen with any other episodes?

june is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yip same problem here, tried to watch latest eposide of 24 the other night but could not get passed the break , screen goes black and the sky player does not respond. I eventually gave up but tried to watch Lost which worked fine. Today tried 24 again and guess what? yip you got it stopped at the break. Only saving grace is I can sky plus the rest of the series. sky players far to frustrating for me. Unless anyone has the solution!!!!!!

MAFIATEAM1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I missed episode 14 of 24, so tried to watch it on sky player, it started to play then stopped... i then used sky player to down load the episode to the "players library" and tried to watch it again.. but still wouldn't play properly, so i searched for recent files using "Search" and when i found it opened it with windows media player.. it said that it needed updating ... which it did .. and then i was able to watch the whole episode if full screen mode,

Hope this helps to solve the problems you had too

critch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

hmm - well I have just joined these forums in the hope to get a fix for this very problem. I have some useful extra info for this - but I already have all the latest updates for windows vista so it isnt that problem. Also I am sort of happy that others have this problem as it is not just me with the error

What I have discovered is that it is a problem only affecting some of the library available. Certain programs such as "24" and "lost" have an extra set of adverts half way through the program and that seems to be where the problem lies. If you DOWNLOAD the episode to watch later you get the effect where the player shows the starting adverts and then a small amount of the first period of the program (between 5 and 15 mins) and then it switches to the halftime advert and then after that continues through the second half (after a small pause) without any error.

This problem didnt affect "Fringe" as an example as this program didnt have these extra half time adverts in.

I have found a work around for anyone who can stream directly instead of downloading. If you delete the downloaded file from your personal library and then try to watch the programme again, but this time DO NOT DOWNLOAD just watch straight away. you should find that this will let you watch the programme in full.

It seems that watching programmes streaming uses an application called SILVERLIGHT which basically is an application that controls how the playback works (it gets around the buffering problems and things like that) - and this works fine. Once you download a program silverlight isn't needed so sky player simply uses media player and it seems that for some reason media player can not cope with the adverts on its own - lol - and things go pear shaped. You can tell 2 different applications are used for playback as the control bars are different for streaming and downloaded playback, as is the applications right click menu.

This still leaves me with the problem that If I want to download a program to watch back when the internet is not available I can not expect this to work every time. Also I do not feel I can download any "paid for" content in case it has the same problem and will not play fully.

Can anyone spread any light on how I can get a propper fix for this?