Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Player

This is a discussion on Sky Player within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hey guys, could someone help me please? I tried to download the Sky player software so I could watch something ...

zpfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01684
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Player

Hey guys, could someone help me please?
      I tried to download the Sky player software so I could watch something I'd missed.
      The installer then told me I had to download and install Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework for the player to be installed. It downloaded the installation exe and ran it. It gets halfway through and I get this error :

Error 25015. Failed to install assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\msc orlib.dll' because of system error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

It then uninstalls everything it just did and quits. The sky player won't install without this. I then tried downloading the .NET 2.0 software directly from Microsoft and installing it, and get the same message. I tried to rename the file it mentions so that it wouldn't be used but this didn't work either.
      I then downloaded and tried to install the windows installer 3.0 from the website (apparently this would help install .NET). This then told me that the installer that I was trying to install was an earlier version than the one I already had and wouldn't install!
      How do I sort this out?

2. Advertisement
      jimlad60 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky Player

Hi zpfield

Try download from here Download details: .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)

You will need to use Internet Exploreer to download from here so if your default browser is Firefox copy and paste the url into Internet Explorer

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Do you have Sp2 installed, you need this before .Net will install properly. You may have it, but check you have the latest Windows Installer available from -
      HERE

Also clean out your Temporary files, both Internet and System.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

zpfield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01684
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. I have tried downloading from that link, but still get the same problem. I am running sp3 on my xp. tried cleaning both folders, still nothing, this is really frustrating! any more ideas?