Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Downloading by itself.

This is a discussion on Downloading by itself. within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Hi All, My Sky player is downloading films all by itself. It has several favourites like 'Lost Season 4, EP ...

Jonr2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horbury Brdge
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Downloading by itself.

Hi All,

My Sky player is downloading films all by itself. It has several favourites like 'Lost Season 4, EP Town' which is a pay to own episode, as well as The Number 23 and The Illusionist.

I currently have 7 films downloading, none of which I have asked for and my CPU is so maxed out I can't delete any of them. If I try Sky Player just freezes.

This has been going on for weeks and seems to be getting steadily worse.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks,

John.

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Downloading by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonr2007 View Post
      Ideas anyone?
      I'll say it before anyone else does - uninstall it

I loaded it onto my son's PC for use while he's away at Uni and it really is the most awful, pernicious piece of software I've seen in a long time. As you've found, unlike the BBC version, there's no way to turn it off (believe me I've tried everything, stopping the service, registry mods etc) and it eats up bandwidth, disc space and CPU cycles without a care in the world.

If you really want to keep it then my recommendation would be to install a personal firewall and block it having access to the internet except when you want to allow it.

_lecro_ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sharrow
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Are we talking about Sky Anytime here ???
      Because ive had it installed for months and it only ever connects when i let it

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky Anytime is now called Sky Player.

I think you're under a misapprehension. The way this software works is that it loads as soon as you start your PC and then works in background, downloading content (whether you want it or not) and sharing that content with others via P2P. Whilst it is possible to dive deep into the operating system to stop it running it is impossible to do this so that it won't run again the next time you start your PC. The BBC version which uses the same system, has been changed, after complaints, to allow the software to be turned off and on as required. Sky have ignored the complaints.

Yes, you "start" the Sky Player when you want to use it but that just brings up the player. The downloading and uploading takes place all the time.

Thanks

Sry bud but i not under any misapprehension..

"dive deep into the operating system to stop it running it is impossible to do this so that it won't run again the next time you start your PC."

It's certainly not necessary to be diving deep into the operating system and to say its impossible to stop it running on restart is just incorrect !!

Ive had sky anytime / sky player for over six months and i only use it as and when required and it most certainly is NOT always running !!

If you go to Start > Run > type 'msconfig' > 'Start Up' tab , then untick any reference to Sky and Kontiki youll most likely find you problem solved.

Exchange:
      Thanks

'fraid not - do your research or even check your own system properly - it is always running. Check the running processes on your machine. Check the download folder and see what's there. Did you choose all those things to be downloaded?

Stopping the service is possible but it's not "sticky". Next time you boot your PC it will be running again. You can delete the relevant registry entries but then it won't run at all any more i.e. it becomes unusable.

If you have XP Pro then the following hack supposedly will will work but not with the current Kontiki implementation I've found:

Sky Anytime - Killing Kontiki | The Frog-Blog

Thanks

Fraid SO !
      i did check my system properly and it isnt running fact ! !
      Although you right in most of what you said.
      i must admit i havnt used it in a while and after trying just now it does indeed seem that it wont run with the reg keys disabled lol
      same seems to be true for bbci player

But in my case it hasnt downloaded anything it shouldn't even before disabling it and it has only shared files as and when i was actually downloading but thats the whole idea of p2p anyway.

Anyway back to Jonr2007's post, why it should be downloading films that you haven't asked for is a bit of a mystery.

can you not block its network activity with a firewall as saturday said then try deleting the films

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _lecro_ View Post
      i did check my system properly and it isnt running fact ! !
      Then you must have manually stopped it. It will autorun again at every boot up. If you've somehow found a way to prevent that (and still have use of the player) then you should publish how because no-one else has - Google it if you don't believe me.

Although you right in most of what you said.
      I think you'll find I was right in everything I said. Is that an apology?

it has only shared files as and when i was actually downloading but thats the whole idea of p2p anyway.
      No - that's not how it works. It shares files all the time. If it behaved as a "normal" P2P application then people wouldn't be so annoyed. Again, Google it.

why it should be downloading films that you haven't asked for is a bit of a mystery.
      Because that's what it does - to increase the density of files available for download.
      Last edited by Saturday; 25-10-08 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Google it if you don't believe me.
      I do believe you , did i not just say i tried it and found it wasnt working (unstable)

I think you'll find I was right in everything I said. Is that an apology?
      Almost an apology if it wasnt a fact that it hadnt downloaded anything other than what i have asked it to do and isnt running all the time ! on my system atleast.

No - that's not how it works. It shares files all the time. If it behaved as a "normal" P2P application then people wouldn't be so annoyed. Again, Google it.
      All the time being when its not disabled and you allow it access through your firewall presumably!!

Because that's what it does - to increase the density of files available for download
      that doesnt explain why it has never downloaded any unrequested programs for me !!
      Are you saying that everyone who has this app has unrequested films downloading all the time as in Johns case ?

I think we would both agree that its a crappy app though !!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Are you saying that everyone who has this app has unrequested films downloading all the time as in Johns case ?
      No, I can't say everyone, just my personal experience and what I've read. The Kontiki application apparently uses various algorithms to restrict bandwidth usage when other internet connected applications are running (though they seem rather poor). Maybe there are other algorithms/thresholds set which control what additional files are downloaded. If so it probably looks at file currency/popularity and cumulative file sizes but that's only a guess on my part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast