Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PC hangs when Sky Player tries to play film

This is a discussion on PC hangs when Sky Player tries to play film within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Evening all! I'll start off by mentioning that I've filled in the General support page thing on sky.com regarding this, ...

flangepiece is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

PC hangs when Sky Player tries to play film

Evening all!

I'll start off by mentioning that I've filled in the General support page thing on sky.com regarding this, so if I get a reply/fix from them, I'll post it up here. I've also done a fair bit of googling and found nothing. Just hoping any of you lovely lot will have any ideas or suggestions.

The PC is a Jetway J7F2 mini-itx mobo, CN700 chipset, 2Ghz cpu and 1Gb RAM. Video is onboard VIA/S3 Unichrome. The PC very happily plays DVDs, AVIs, mp3s etc through MS Media Player 11, VLC, Media Player Classic. Out put is VGA into a Teco 32" LCD (very good for the money by the way!).

My OS is XP Media Center 2005 (SP2 though - I'll wait another couple of weeks before installing SP3 to make sure MS fixes their fix ). All my software is pukka and legit.

I've installed Sky Player and the interface works ok - have managed to download Deja Vu and it's sat there ready to play. But as soon as I hit play from the sky browser, another window appears, and the machine freezes as soon as it's drawn the window's outline. Hard boot time.

There's nothing in application or system logs in event viewer, the PC hasn't overheated (I could run this thing under my grill). I'm guessing that as soon as the window starts loading the media player plug-in things go wrong. I've never had this Sky Player thing running before (other pc is vista 64 / linux) so I don't know what to expect.

I suppose two points (which I'll act upon now) are Firefox 3 is my default browser, and I've installed the Mozilla VLC plugin - but this shouldn't effect things I would have thought...

Anyone out there had this problem and fixed it?

If I do get round the problem, naturally I'll post it up here
      cheers
      Flange

2. Advertisement
      flangepiece is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: PC hangs when Sky Player tries to play film

errrm, this is kinda odd, I've got it working. At least, it started working by itself. Or something. I tried installing the player on my Vista 64 box (had to download the latest DRM patch on that) and to my surprise it installed and even let me try logging in up to the point where it said I was probably logged in on another PC (my telly PC was running with the Sky client in the tray).

So I gave up on the Vista box, and on a whim tried my telly PC again. It came up with some error about logging in when I tried watching the film ("please restart your PC") ...So I did, and now it works just fine, really well in fact. Go figure.

When I was having the problem it was 100% reproducable over a couple of days. I can only guess that trying to log in using the other PC somehow dislodged some corrupt DRM thingumejig