Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Anytime PC (2 computers)

This is a discussion on Sky Anytime PC (2 computers) within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; I recently bought a new laptop which i am using alongside my desktop pc, i have installed anytime on here, ...

hdav727 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Anytime PC (2 computers)

I recently bought a new laptop which i am using alongside my desktop pc, i have installed anytime on here, but it says i cant use anytime on 2 computers. Is there any way around this? if not, how do i make it work on this one rather than my home pc?

cheers

2. Advertisement
      AndyStubbs is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Anytime PC (2 computers)

This problem is actually annoying me at the moment. I thought that a reasonable way around it would be to log on to sky.com and create an additional account (done via editing your profile etc). Then log in to sky.com using that account and activate sky anytime. This will then allow the new account on a new pc to access sky anytime - BUT - this only seems to work the first time you log in. If I log off from sky anytime on the new pc and try and log in later on it tells me that too many pc changes have taken place yadda yadda contact sky - Grr!

If anybody has any way of making this work properly i would love to hear it!

Ian
      Ian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky Anytime PC (2 computers)

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way around this.

Here's my theory as to how the service works. If anyone knows any different, please let me know!

When you login to Sky Anytime for the first time, I believe the program calculates some kind of hash value based upon your PC's configuration (whether this is based on software only, or both hardware and software, I am unclear).

This hash is then sent to Sky and stored on their systems. Everytime you log in to the Sky Anytime service, the hash is re-sent to make sure it has not changed.

If at any point the hash value has changed (upgrading Windows would certainly cause it to change, maybe changing your graphics card or CPU would too), or if you login from a second PC (which would of course produce a different hash value), the Sky Anytime account is disabled.

The only recourse is to call Sky as advised and have them remove the bar on the account.

In theory, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to use a packet sniffer to see exactly what data is sent back to Sky, then we may be able to learn a little more. I would try, but at the moment I can't seem to get Sky Anytime to work on my Vista PC since a 4oD update broke the install...