Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Peer to Peer

This is a discussion on Peer to Peer within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; Why is this compulsory ? What advantage does Sky gain by using this technology and at what security risk to ...

ORM
      ORM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Peer to Peer

Why is this compulsory ?

What advantage does Sky gain by using this technology and at what security risk to us ?

I've just spent 4 hours trying to install the bloody thing - now it looks as if I'll be spending double that completely removing all traces of it and the p2p technology from the PC.

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Peer to Peer

cos it works like any other P2P program and when you have it open others are downloading from you and not sky so it puts less strain on sky servers etc.

ORM
      ORM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It might put less strain on Sky's servers but it's killing me - I've gone from a state of the art brand new 1K laptop running Max connection at speeds I could only dream to what seems like nothing better than non-broadband dial up speeds.

I run a serious of programs after everything I install to see how my new set up is perforcming and if I don't like what I see the app gets uninstalled.

I was expecting Anytime to offer much more than it actually does and quite frankly the minimal plus side is massively outweighed by the drop in speed and perfomance since installing.I'm also not happy about being part of P2P and this is yet another Big Brother instrusive spying tool. I suppose it serves me right for not checking the fine print before installing.

SimpleRules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

BBC will use it aswell, it will truly be Big Brother then ...

But it doesn't affect speed when you're using your computer and this actually annoys me, it won't download when you are browsing the web.
      I'm not sure how it works, wether it checks for computer inactivity or it monitors your network connection, but it stops downloading when you either use your computer or browse the net.

This bugs me because I have to either leave it on other night or go into another room and wait for a movie to complete, I'd prefer it gives you the option, I'll have around 14mb broadband - I'm fine with it using some!

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm disapointed with the BBC going down the P2P route. Theres a very good reason why p2p is traffic shaped by most network operators; it kills the network. Where I work we stop as much p2p as possible because it rampantly consumes bandwidth and generally screws over everyone elses traffic. Plus why should we waste our bandwidth (we see more upstream than downstream). P2P treats your network as some kind of free Content Distribubtion Network. If these companies want to distribute large media files they should pony up the cash and invest in their infrastructure and not abuse other peoples networks. Seeing as easynets core network is all good to go with multicast, why didn't Sky opt for a multicast system like FreeWire (Freewire : Welcome to Freewire) have done.

cutedder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky actually get alot out of this, they will save about 30,000 a month.

The way they do it, they might let a few people download each program, then everyone else just downloads off them.

So in terms of bandwidth they don't need any...

You will have two connections to someone else's PC downloading something and then another six people getting it from your PC.

In the meantime it takes 20 hours to download a film and that whole time your internet connection is maxed out...

I personally think it is ilegal and when I first realised the extent of this thought we had a really good court case against them, still do if anyone's up for it...

However, like everything else, there is a way around it...

Anyone want to know?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

In my opinion the Kontiki app stinks. It is a very bad implementation of P2P technology which which can't be turned off by the user and malignly sits on the system sucking bandwidth and causing problems. Can you tell I don't like it? Google it and see what thousands of others think.

Uninstalling can be a nightmare. Kontiki supplies a tool to do this (can be found on the BBC site too) but even this seems to leave active processes running which need manual intervention to get rid of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/filmnetwork/kclean/KClean.exe

Remove Kontiki with KClean.exe The PC Doctor’s blog
      Last edited by Saturday; 31-07-07 at 12:05 AM.

cuteadder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I suggest that you leave it on there.

However:

1. On your computer, go into the "Change windows firewall settings"
      2. Switch the firewall on
      3. In the exeptions select "delivery manager service" then edit
      4. change the scope to

87.86.92.0/255.255.255.0,195.173.72.0/255.255.255.0,195.173.72.0/255.255.255.0

5. click ok to everything, reboot the pc and see how it goes...

That limits the kservice application to only speak to the Sky servers, ie nobody can download from you and you can only download from Sky themselves, after a few minutes you have a decent connection to Sky and can download a film in about 100 minutes...