Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp

This is a discussion on sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp within the Sky Go forums, part of the Other Sky help and support category; The only reason why I suppose Sky is not supporting Vista currently is that apparently Vista runs slower than XP ...

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp

The only reason why I suppose Sky is not supporting Vista currently is that apparently Vista runs slower than XP on the same spec machine. (people in my LOTR and WoW Guild have said that they have noticed that and have dropped vista)

The 1st service pack for Vista is apparently meant to fix this and increase the performance of Vista to equal or better of XP. So perhaps this is when Sky will support it?

2. Advertisement
      dpswatson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

OK here are the screenshots. Sorry for the confusion, they have changed the column titles in this release. So go to LaunchCondition (see 1st Jpeg) and then delete the row that is highlighted in the 2nd Jpeg. Then save and either double-click the saved msi file or right-click and select INSTALL. The actual installer is built into windows (MSI stands for Microsoft Installer)

CAUTION: Don't be tempted to mess with the Admin/Privileges row as certain files may not install (Vista may block them anyway) and you'll have a messed up install. Also, removing the DOTNETFRAME... row will allow the software to install without the need of the .net stuff but Anytime may still not actually run without it.

I've tried and tested this method and can certify fully working!

I'll try to upload the 11mb MSI file to you (just run it like you would a SETUP.EXE file) if I get a chance but his method is easy once you get it.

Adrian, don't believe everything people tell you. Many slagg off Vista for the sake of it. WM11 is excellent in Vista (compared to other versions) and speed is not an issue. Games do run a little slower. This is partly due to unfinished drivers which I now believe is solved. Not worth dropping a generally more stable OS over.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp-1-launchcond.jpg   sky anytime requires that your computer is running windows xp-2.edit.jpg  
      Last edited by dpswatson; 14-06-07 at 06:29 PM. Reason: addenum

senec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Do you have al link so i can download your file

i have been trying for a long time to install this on Vista

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

Stuart

furrypotato is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
      This line 'InstallAware Set Variable VersionNT 501' does not appear when i try to FIND, the only part like that is this 'Set Variable VersionNT To 501'
      Sorry that was my mistake when writing the guide- it should have been
      'Set Variable VersionNT 501'

I've just uninstalled .NEt 1.1 to see if it stops Anytime working but it still runs ok so maybe it;s juts at the installation stage it's needed ?
      Get it here :- Download details: .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package

I think between us all we are getting there slowly :-)

Dylan

PS Games I have found slower on Vista and a lot of file moving/copying etc is very slow but I like the sidebar and love the new search facility and the 'Recent Places' bit to help find files you've been working on recently. Slowly I am starting to like it more and more as I learn how to use it's more customisable features.

PPS - DPSWATSON- try hosting your fixed file at mediafire.com - that's where mine is and you dont need to register to put it there or download it.
      Last edited by furrypotato; 14-06-07 at 08:26 PM.

senec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Can you help i have managed to install on vista but the program will not open what else do i have to do ?

Cheers

dpswatson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok, the file is an .MSI file. For those who have not come across these before they just need double-clicking or right-click and click Install.

There is no need for an executable (.exe or setup.exe etc) because the program part of the installer is built into Windows.

BTW this file will work with any 32bit OS (use at own risk if your target OS is not supported by Sky) and you still need the .NET framework(s) installed

Thanks Furrypotato for the host info.

Get it here:
      11.11 MB

or if link does not work:
      SkyAnytime.msi - MSI, Sky, Anytime
      Last edited by dpswatson; 14-06-07 at 11:33 PM.

Dub
      Dub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Your fixed .exe worked. I think my problem was because of a dodgy extraction,thats why i had a blank icon. I installed .net and with your fixed .exe it worked so i would say that .net needs to be installed before sky anytime for it to work. Without the .net i just got an error on opening. Now i have drm errors and the upgrade button wont work on ms site.
      Edit: dont use firefox to download from Microsoft.
      Last edited by Dub; 15-06-07 at 12:44 AM.

-mc- is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dub View Post
      Your fixed .exe worked. I think my problem was because of a dodgy extraction,thats why i had a blank icon. I installed .net and with your fixed .exe it worked so i would say that .net needs to be installed before sky anytime for it to work. Without the .net i just got an error on opening. Now i have drm errors and the upgrade button wont work on ms site.
      Edit: dont use firefox to download from Microsoft.
      Have you tried this page for the DRM upgrade Security component upgrade worked for me.

The blank icon on Dylans modified file is normal, I think he must have left the icon file out when he compiled the install program, but it should work fine without it....its just a shortcut to the program.

Last edited by -mc-; 15-06-07 at 08:15 AM.

Dub
      Dub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Woo.

Its all working fine now,I got the DRM update np using I.E.
      Just to make sure, i uninstalled .NET and tried anytime, it didnt start, so i reinstalled .NET and it worked fine, so yes, .NET deffinatley needs to be installed prior to installing Anytime.

Thanks for all the help guys, if the instructions are followed correctly and there are no problems extracting the FULL msi then it WILL work.
      My only gripe now is that downloads speeds are VERY slow. I can download at over 17mb so that shouldnt realy be an issue. I havnt forwarded the ports on my router though coz i dont know what ports to use yet lol.
      Is download speed generaly slow?

Last edited by Dub; 15-06-07 at 09:49 AM.

trevor is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01977
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Have just discovered this splendid thread after running Sky Anytime successfully under Vista until the software insisted on automatically upgrading and then the XP issue started

Having followed DPSWatson's excellent link and downloaded the modified msi file I end up with an error message "1: Failed to install ISKernel files. Make sure you have appropriate privileges on this machine"

As the only user on Vista Home Premium edition I am shown with admin privileges

Any clues on this issue?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 25-05-08, 10:45 PM
    2. 19-04-08, 09:28 AM
    3. 12-03-08, 08:49 PM
    4. 01-02-08, 08:30 PM
    5. 09-12-07, 12:31 PM
    6. 08-12-07, 12:08 AM
    7. 06-12-07, 07:50 AM
    8. 05-11-07, 12:48 AM
    9. 09-10-07, 03:09 PM