Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky yahoo emails being deleted

This is a discussion on Sky yahoo emails being deleted within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've used my sky email for many years without any issues. I use outlook 2016 on my PC and ...

Awest3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01527
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky yahoo emails being deleted

Hi, I've used my sky email for many years without any issues. I use outlook 2016 on my PC and only check my web email every 3 months or so to delete old or unwanted emails from the server.

Just lately all of my emails are being deleted off the server so I no longer have a backup should it be required.

My Outlook 2016 setup says 'keep a copy on the server' and delete is set to never.

I also use my iPhone and iPad to check emails with the knowledge that If I deleted them from said device they would still be on the server and would be downloaded to my PC when I got into Outlook.

I use POP settings for my 206 Outlook set up and as I say all has worked well until recently.

Can anyone point me in the direction of what might be going on please?

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Sky yahoo emails being deleted

Forgot to mention I started using Chrome rather than IE for my browser recently although I'm not sure why this should affect my sky email.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If the POP configuration in outlook is set to leave a copy on the server then that is what should happen. Could it be your iPhone or iPad that is set to delete the server copy when pulling mail to those devices? Try setting them to aeroplane mode then send a message to yourself and check whether it is viewable through webmail after receiving it on your PC.

Thanks

Thanks for this. I've checked both iPhone and iPad and they are both set up to never delete emails!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

What I would suggest is for you to manually move the emails into separate folders periodically. It may be that your Inbox is too full.

In your browser you can sort the emails by sender, making the task of moving them to separate folders many times easier.

Don't move emails which you haven't downloaded to Outlook first though. It doesn't look in the folders.

I do this myself every now and then. Unfortunately, I had to repeat it in the apps on my phone and tablet. Any folders I'd created were there, but all the emails were in the Inbox for both until I moved them. A real PITA.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      What I would suggest is for you to manually move the emails into separate folders periodically. It may be that your Inbox is too full.

In your browser you can sort the emails by sender, making the task of moving them to separate folders many times easier.

Don't move emails which you haven't downloaded to Outlook first though. It doesn't look in the folders.

I do this myself every now and then. Unfortunately, I had to repeat it in the apps on my phone and tablet. Any folders I'd created were there, but all the emails were in the Inbox for both until I moved them. A real PITA.
      Thanks for this Scubbie, I don't have many emails in outlook on my PC, less than 5,000. I have none in Sky Yahoo email as it keeps deleting them, even the Trash folder is empty. My daughter who is set up the same as me has over 40,000 in her inbox (don't ask). Everything was working exactly as I wanted it to until a month or so ago. I got a virus which I cleaned up quite well but then found little things were not right. I recovered my HDD back to an Acronis back up from a month previous
      (Feb 2018). This seemed to have everything back to normal and I just updated any systems I needed to. When I went to Sky Yahoo email to resend emails (I lost the March ones because of the recovery) they were not there and neither were any other previous emails.

At the moment as soon as I read them on any device iPad, iPhone or PC they are deleted from the server. I have checked all my devices (which I'd not altered anyway) and they all say to 'keep a copy on the server' which it isn't.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next! I may try to delete my profile and set it up again.

Thanks for reading, Al

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

If you send an email with a client, such as Outlook, the outgoing email will not be stored online. So they are lost if you wiped the original copy on your hard drive.

There is a way around this, but you'll need to reguarly back up the email folder on your computer in future.

As for your daughter, please pass on the advice I mentioned above. I know from personal experience that she will be experiencing problems if there are that many there. It's best to shove them into relevant folders every now and then.

I currently have 3 Yahoo email account and 2 Sky email accounts .

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

This gets more interesting! I'm trying to check which device may be causing the issue. Whilst in Sky yahoo email online I noticed a little 'switch to the new yahoo' msg. Having clicked on it I find I now have 79 emails in my trash folder! Only going back to the 15th of this month but hey! its an improvement. I'll keep an eye on it and see if any get deleted over the next few days.... Sky email is set not to delete anything, even in trash folder.

Thanks

If you are using pop.tools.sky.com as your pop3 server you could try legacy.pop.mail.yahoo.com and see if that makes any difference. All other settings should remain the same.

I usually flush my mail after downloading it from the server using fetchmail but as a test I've just added the keep option. My webmail inbox was empty so I sent a test message which I haven't read. Now when I get mail a copy remains on the server unfortunately each time I refresh my mail another copy of the test appears in my Thunderbird inbox.

Thanks

Without wishing to drift off topic it would appear that the problem I am having while investigating your problem is well known.
      https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Sending/...er/td-p/183074
      It looks as if solving one problem may just create another.
      The alternative may be to get a Gmail account which doesn't suffer from this problem.