Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mozilla: Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Thunderbirds are gone

This is a discussion on Mozilla: Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Thunderbirds are gone within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Mozilla: Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Thunderbirds are Time you grew up and got your own coders, foundation says Seeking ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Mozilla: Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Thunderbirds are gone

Mozilla: Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Thunderbirds are
      Time you grew up and got your own coders, foundation says

Seeking to shift its full attention to Firefox, Mozilla is planning to throw its Thunderbird email client under a bus er, offload it to the community to develop and support.

The open-source software house said it will begin exploring ways to separate the development of Thunderbird from other Mozilla projects, allowing engineers to be "laser-focused on activities like Firefox."

In a post to a Mozilla newsgroup, Mozilla Foundation chairwoman Mitchell Baker gently suggested time spent improving Thunderbird isn't time well spent.

"Firefox and Thunderbird have lived with competing demands for some time now," Baker wrote on Monday. "Today Thunderbird developers spend much of their time responding to changes made in core Mozilla systems and technologies. At the same time, build, Firefox, and platform engineers continue to pay a tax to support Thunderbird.

"I believe Thunderbird would thrive best by separating itself from reliance on Mozilla development systems and in some cases, Mozilla technology.

"The current setting isn't stable, and we should start actively looking into how we can transition in an orderly way to a future where Thunderbird and Firefox are un-coupled."

Baker said Mozilla Foundation executive director Mark Surman will lead an effort to plan out how and when Thunderbird will be separated from Mozilla. The Foundation will also provide assistance by bringing in contractors and advisors to help plan the spin-off of Thunderbird to an independent developer group operating outside of the Mozilla banner.

The decision is not a surprise, given the lack of attention Mozilla has been showing to the troubled email client. As far back as 2012, Baker cast doubt on Mozilla's desire to continue to devote time and money to Thunderbird at the expense of the flagship Firefox browser.

Even with the plan to cut Thunderbird development loose, however, Baker did not rule out the possibility of maintaining some business connection to the project. She noted that no decision has yet been made in regards to anything other than dropping development duties.

"The fact that the Foundation is facilitating these discussions does not necessarily mean that the Foundation is or is not the best legal and financial home for Thunderbird," Baker wrote.

Mozilla did not give a date for when it expects the separation process to be completed.

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Mozilla: Five... Four... Three... Two... One... Thunderbirds are gone

It'll be a pity if Thunderbird wastes away and dies; it's a good email client.

Not sure what I'd move to.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

It is a popular email client. There are many members on these forums who use it.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Racey43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      It'll be a pity if Thunderbird wastes away and dies; it's a good email client.

Not sure what I'd move to.
      I'm not sure what I'd move to either. I use it on a Mac after Apple's own email got too troublesome.
      The ability to use add-ons, like weather forecasts and calendar, makes it much better than Mac mail.

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Thanks

Hope it don't go been using it for about 5yrs now also i have tried quite a few of the other one's but couldn't get on with them so came straight back to thunderbird.
      What you have to remember as well is it can have loads of plugins.

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect