Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Email thru WLM issues

This is a discussion on Email thru WLM issues within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am confused. I have been using IMAP since Sky moved to Yahoo mail. Despite all the noise around launch ...

mccaba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Email thru WLM issues

I am confused. I have been using IMAP since Sky moved to Yahoo mail. Despite all the noise around launch time about not supporting IMAP, it did actually work since Yahoo had IMAP servers in the first place. So is this a change by Sky ? Have the formally withdrawn the IMAP facility ? When you say "IMAP is no longer supported..." are you saying there is just no technical support, or that it physically will no longer work ?

If we go back to POP, what are we supposed to do about keeping devices synchronised ?

Andrew

2. Advertisement
      dnpark38 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mccaba View Post
      I am confused. I have been using IMAP since Sky moved to Yahoo mail. Despite all the noise around launch time about not supporting IMAP, it did actually work since Yahoo had IMAP servers in the first place. So is this a change by Sky ? Have the formally withdrawn the IMAP facility ? When you say "IMAP is no longer supported..." are you saying there is just no technical support, or that it physically will no longer work ?

If we go back to POP, what are we supposed to do about keeping devices synchronised ?

Andrew
      You say you use IMAP, so tell us please is it working or not?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

IMAP did work with some accounts at first but I was under the impression that it was being phased out on the remainder. Basically it may now be time to move, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by mccaba View Post
      This is a PITA.

When using POP on a laptop the emails are only downloaded from the Inbox. The laptop can then be set up with rules to move the emails into different folders if this is useful for you.

If you leave the emails on the server, then another laptop or desktop will access the same emails and think that they are unread.

I have my smart phone set up to access my Sky email accounts with the Yahoo! Mail app. This will see any emails as read once they have been downloaded to my laptop irrespective of whether I've actually read them.

If I use the app to move the emails to any folders, they are in the same folders should I access the account via the web browser.

Periodically I need to access the email account on-line or via my phone and manually move all the emails in the Inbox to some folders otherwise I can't download any more.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnpark38 View Post
      You say you use IMAP, so tell us please is it working or not?
      Until about a week ago it was working absolutely fine. Three devices - desktop PC using WLM, Android Tablet and a phone. All working, all fully synchronised including all my IMAP folders. About a week ago, I started to get server time outs, and server disconnections which prompted my original post. Now it works intermittently. I can receive emails on WLM but sending can be problematic. Sometimes taking a number of attempts to send. Also, when deleting an email WLM inbox, it reappears a few minutes later which I can only assume means WLM is not syncing with the server for deletions, but is syncing when downloading mail.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the additional info Scubbie.

It does seem a nonsense tho, that here we are back with POP email and having to manually move messages around to keep devices synchronised.

Andrew

mickr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Verwood
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

According to the sky official help forum someone as cut through a cable, It will be a time before it is fixed. they suggest alternative way to get it on there forum

Mickr

Thanks

As an idea, could I suggest you try the settings suggested on this Yahoo! Email page?

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mobile/ima...l-sln4075.html

It is possible that Sky's email may work in this manner.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yep, those are actually the settings I had been using. Way back when the changeover took place and Sky were adamant that IMAP would not work with Yahoo, I pointed out that Yahoo did in fact have IMAP settings which I was already using on an old Yahoo account. With the recent problems I have been trying the other options like imap.tools.sky.com without success. BUT ............. this morning everything seems to be working once again ! All devices synchronised and able to send and receive emails. All very very odd.

Andrew

Thanks

Good. Yahoo!, I believe, have been trying to reroute all the traffic through another cross-Atlantic connection so this might explain why things are working correctly once more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12