Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

using Sky e-mail after leaving Sky

This is a discussion on using Sky e-mail after leaving Sky within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I left Sky yesterday for another ISP but find that I am bizarrely still able to send and receive e-mail ...

Enigmaman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01304
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

using Sky e-mail after leaving Sky

I left Sky yesterday for another ISP but find that I am bizarrely still able to send and receive e-mail via Windows Live Mail (2011 version) from various accounts, some Sky, some not, using the old Sky settings .

Does anyone know why this is?

The new TakTalk POP3 settings do not work (I already regret being seduced by the "bribe" they gave me to join them - their customer service is as hopeless as it is reputed to be).

I was wondering why this was. I don't actually want to to stop yet as I am away for the rest of the week after tomorrow and want it to carry on working for a few more days at least.

Could I receive a bill from Sky for this continued use?

I understand that a Sky e-mail address is for life but that I need to log into Sky webmail every so often to maintain this - does anyone know how often?

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: using Sky e-mail after leaving Sky

There is nothing to stop you receiving email from the Sky (actually Yahoo) email server. I am slightly surprised that you can still use Sky's SMTP server to send mail now that your broadband is no longer with Sky though it maybe that Yahoo allow this if they also supply the email service for Talk Talk.

From memory your Sky Email address will be suspended after 6 months without use and deleted after a further month though you should be sent a warning email before this occurs. There is no requirement to use the webmail interface provided Sky's POP3 server is polled by your email client and any waiting mail picked up.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      There is nothing to stop you receiving email from the Sky (actually Yahoo) email server. I am slightly surprised that you can still use Sky's SMTP server to send mail now that your broadband is no longer with Sky though it maybe that Yahoo allow this if they also supply the email service for Talk Talk.

From memory your Sky Email address will be suspended after 6 months without use and deleted after a further month though you should be sent a warning email before this occurs. There is no requirement to use the webmail interface provided Sky's POP3 server is polled by your email client and any waiting mail picked up.
      Thanks all useful info.

I find it bizarre that the Sky settings still work but as you say maybe TT also piggybacks off YMail.

I clearly have no help of getting any help from TT "customer support" and will be using The Scream, the equivalent of Sky User.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmaman View Post

I find it bizarre that the Sky settings still work but as you say maybe TT also piggybacks off YMail.
      Your sky email will continue to be available as long as you continue to use it. Nothing to do with TT or yahoo

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

That's good, but the point is that I can still send e-mail using the Sky SMTP settings - not that it is a problem, but it would be better if I was using TT's settings.