Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lost e mails

This is a discussion on Lost e mails within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I had an e mail stuck open so I shut down vista windows mail. When I re opened it I ...

mivec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Lost e mails

I had an e mail stuck open so I shut down vista windows mail. When I re opened it I had lost all the e mails from my inbox up to
      the date of the one that was stuck open. I can see these e mails if I log onto my sky account so is there any way I can recover
      these or transfer them back to my windows mail desktop account.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Lost e mails

If you have lost all your emails it sounds like you have a hard drive issue. I would suggest that you check this out first as a matter of priority. It may well have been temporary, but you need to check.

As for all the emails you have got, back up these to an external drive in a manner that you can recover them later.

I suspect what you need to do is to uninstall and then reinstall your client. This should trigger the whole lot to download once more.

Before doing this you should backup your email account settings, double check you have all the passwords and make a written record of the settings being used. Include noted on any rules you have to place emails in different folders. This will help you later. Also backup all your contact details.

Once you have reinstalled your client, set up everything first, including the rules, then import the old emails.

You will have some dupicates, but this is better than losing the lot.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

mivec is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If you have lost all your emails it sounds like you have a hard drive issue. I would suggest that you check this out first as a matter of priority. It may well have been temporary, but you need to check.

As for all the emails you have got, back up these to an external drive in a manner that you can recover them later.

I suspect what you need to do is to uninstall and then reinstall your client. This should trigger the whole lot to download once more.

Before doing this you should backup your email account settings, double check you have all the passwords and make a written record of the settings being used. Include noted on any rules you have to place emails in different folders. This will help you later. Also backup all your contact details.

Once you have reinstalled your client, set up everything first, including the rules, then import the old emails.

You will have some dupicates, but this is better than losing the lot.
      Hi and thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell I cannot reinstall windows mail as MS no longer support it. The only option would be to install windows live mail instead but my wife has this and I dont like it at all. I can see the misisng e mails if I log into Sky so can I load them back?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

You need to 'reset' your computer to think that they are emails it hasn't previously downloaded with the application. This is why is suggested removing it then reinstalling.

You might wish to look for a different email client as Windows Mail is not longer available. This is simply because your computer is open to security breaches. There are a range of different ones available, Windows Live Mail is just one of many. Using a different email client will do the same job.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Try installing Thunderbird, it is better than Windows Mail or OE. After it is installed it should download all the emails you have stored in the Sky server.

Mozilla Thunderbird

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.