Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Setting up a gmail account

This is a discussion on Setting up a gmail account within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Looking for some help / advice here. Fed up trying to get my Sky ( yahoo ) calendar to work ...

mccaba is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0141
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Setting up a gmail account

Looking for some help / advice here. Fed up trying to get my Sky ( yahoo ) calendar to work on my Android phone, I thought I would take the plunge and just move everything to gmail and use gmail for all email and my calendar. I am guessing I can set up my existing sky email to forward everything to the new gmail account. Anyway, thought I would set a gmail account up and play about with it.

Some questions tho .... My existing sky email address is still a valid Google Account. I can log into my Google account. However, the Google account does not have an email account associated with it. At log in I get an option to ADD Gmail to my existing Google account and then use the "sky" email address as an alternative . Is this the best option for me to use, or is it better to create a completely separate Gmail account ? Hope that makes some sense.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Setting up a gmail account

Depending on the phone, some now allow you to have more than one Google account on them.

Also I would suggest that you search to see if you can link a Yahoo calendar to your Gmail calendar. I have done this with my Hotmail and Gmail calendars successfuly. I don't use the Yahoo Calendar so haven't checked this out.

By linking them I can view both calendars on my phone and Laptop at the same time. If I add an event on either, ther othe picks it up, although it can take a little while for it to show on my Laptop in Live Mail.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie. I have had various attempts at getting the Sky Yahoo calendar to sync with my Google calendar, but without success. Using the share options and ical links I can get the entries to sync to the google calendar, but they are not editable in any way in the google calendar, s o I cannot update or add any events via the Google calendar. I probably didn't explain myself very well in the first post. I preferred Google anyway so I thought I would just move all my mail to Gmail and use Google for mail and calendar. My concern is the fact that my Sky email address is the same as my Google logon by virtue of the original Skoogle email. So if I add Gmail to my Google account it will be the same as my Sky Yahoo mail address. Just concerned that it may cause issues.

Andrew

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

I appreciate what you are say there and attempting to do.

I do apologise, the calendars aren't editable in the wrong app with me either, however that isn't generally a problem for me.

Thankfully you can have multiple gmail/google accounts in the Calendar, but I had thought that you could have multiple gmail/google acconts in the Play Store.

I have just been double checking about being able to have two gmail/google accounts in the Play Store. So I took things a little further to see if it is possible to switch the apps you have from one account to another.

It appears that this is partially possible, however any paid apps will not move across. You would have to pay for these apps again under the new gmail account, which may not be acceptable.

i want to move all my apps from one gmail account to another can it be done

(There may be other useful pages to help should you wish to do this)

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

NickS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Seethelight FTTH
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Not sure if you've sorted this yet, but what I did was added a new gmail address to my google account with the @sky.com log in, set up my sky account to forward everything to my gmail account and gmail to send as my sky account by default, sending through the sky server, not google. Seemed to work ok, but now I have discovered that the odd email is not being forwarded, so I'm currently running the two accounts in parallel to see what is happening. I only use google for calendar and contacts, yahoo is a nightmare.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for this NickS. I haven't progresses this other than to ditch Yahoo Calendar and use Google. Let me know how you get on with this, as it sounds like you are attempting what I would ultimately like to do.