Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

large email attachments not sending

This is a discussion on large email attachments not sending within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I'm using outlook 2010 as my email client - I got SMTP/POP all set up and it has been ...

bumbling_gimp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

large email attachments not sending

Hi,

I'm using outlook 2010 as my email client - I got SMTP/POP all set up and it has been working no problem on my sky account for years.

Just since this weekend though, I can no longer send attachments that are larger than about 4Mb.

sky use google as their email host, and they'll accept attachments up to 20Mb on a single email, so I'm nowhere near the limit. I've sent 8, 9, 10 even 12Mb attachments in the past, no problem.

Now, when I hit send/receive, it tries to send the email - I get the "Sending message 1 of 1" in the status bar at the bottom of outlook, but then after a couple of minutes, it stops with the error:

Task '*mynamehere* account - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I'm no expert on SMTP/POP, but it seems that the connection to the server is being dropped during transmission on these larger files. I've changed nothing on my computer, I've changed nothing on my router, but it's done this every time since yesterday morning. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening now? Is there any way I can check to see if it's the router that's dropping the connection or something at sky's end?

Note I can still send emails without attachments no problem, and it will still send emails with smaller attachments up to around 4Mb.

many thanks in advance

John

2. Advertisement
      mscenic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: markdyment@sky.com
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: large email attachments not sending

I've had the same issue since yesterday morning. I can't send attachments over about 1mb. It's nothing to do with the computer or router. Have tried on another machine. At a loss

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I had a couple of emails from Yahoo last night about using SSL. I am wondering if more changes have been happening behind the scenes that we haven't been told of.

Can I suggest using another method to send the large files in the mean time?

A couple of ideas:

• Using Dropbox, you can share a specific file with someone. If you place a file in your 'Public' folder, the same link can be sent to multiple people
      • File sharing sites such as Photobucket can also be used to share more than just photos

In the examples above you will not automatically be advised when the files have been accessed by the person/s whom you intended to send them to. Some firms block access to sites such as Photobucket, so you will need to find out whether the recipient can access them as well.

One advantage of doing this is that the recipient gets a small email, with the ability to download a large file when their connection allows for it. If they are on a mobile or slow connection, they may prefer this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

bumbling_gimp (01-10-13)

mscenic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: markdyment@sky.com
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie. I've actually been doing this. Hope it's all sorted out soon.

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bumbling_gimp View Post
      Hi,

sky use google as their email host,

John
      Not since April they don't. It's now Yahoo and it is awful!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moleman For This Useful Post:

bumbling_gimp (01-10-13),placcychicken (14-10-13)

bumbling_gimp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01253
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
      Not since April they don't. It's now Yahoo and it is awful!
      Thanks for the correction. Agreed - if I can't send large attachments any more, awful indeed!

Thanks to all who posted. I'm glad to know at least there's nothing wrong with my router/PC!

Let's hope sky/yahoo get this sorted quick.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

For free Yahoo accounts the maximum attachment limit was 10Mb, now it is virtually unlimited, but this is in conjunction with a Dropbox account. Article here- Size doesn’t matter: Yahoo Mail & Dropbox team up to kill email attachment limits | VentureBeat

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

plco43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penarth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I switched over to Sky from O2 last Thursday. With O2 I could send up to approximately 6mb of attachments with any one email. According to the terms and conditions of Sky Yahoo mail, the maximum email size is limited to 25mb. This morning, I tried to send two emails with attachments, one of 3.8mb with multiple photos and the other with a single 4.2mb pdf file. Both failed.

The message I get is "The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds the global size limit of the server. The message was not sent; reduce the message size and try again. The server responded: MAIL FROM:xxxxxxxxxxx max message size exceeded."

I rang the Sky helpline, and I'm told that Yahoo are imposing a global limit because I'm sending too many email attachments. This is ridiculous. I've only sent 26 emails since the changeover, including a number of test messages this morning, and very few of them have got attachments.

I sent some test messages to myself and the total attachment limit seems to be about 2.8mb.

Has anybody any idea what's going on?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I rang the Sky helpline, and I'm told that Yahoo are imposing a global limit because I'm sending too many email attachments. This is ridiculous. I've only sent 26 emails since the changeover, including a number of test messages this morning, and very few of them have got attachments.
      I think you have been fobbed off by someone who does not know better. Try opening a free Dropbox account and you can send as big an attachment as you like.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

plco43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penarth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think you have been fobbed off by someone who does not know better. Try opening a free Dropbox account and you can send as big an attachment as you like.
      Whether I've been fobbed off or not is besides the point. I already use Dropbox, but it's very inconvenient for my clients when I have to send reports and photos. If I had been told that there was such a low limit on email attachments, I probably wouldn't have signed up with Sky.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could tell me what the maximum attachment size is. No one seems to know at Sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast