Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

iphone 5 issue with yahoo mail

This is a discussion on iphone 5 issue with yahoo mail within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hi all 2 issues: 1. running windows live mail to access my sky pop3 emails at home on a windows ...

tonygold is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: gants hill
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

iphone 5 issue with yahoo mail

hi all
      2 issues:
      1. running windows live mail to access my sky pop3 emails at home on a windows 7 laptop. i used to be able to read my emails when out on my iphone 5, delete them on phone and then deal with them where necessary from my laptop when i arrive back home. but now, since the changeover to yahoo mail, no matter what settings i try, if i delete a message from my phone before downloading it to my laptop it doesn't download to the laptop. how can i stop this happening ie like i used to be able to do, delete an email on the iphone/ipad but still download it later on laptop in windows live mail?

2. when accessing sky's webmail page i used to have a folder for 'all mail' so i could easily see emails going back years, now i only have a 'current' inbox. there is a sent mail folder that goes way back but not one for emails received?

many thanks for any help and advice received.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: iphone 5 issue with yahoo mail

I think you will have to set your phone up to use IMAP. The Yahoo POP3 service works as it should, ie, when a message is downloaded there is no copy left on the server. Gmail did not work like this, retaining a copy on the server even when set up for POP. Imap will leave a copy available to be downloaded using POP 3 on your desktop client.

The same applies to why you have no received emails on your web mail, once they are downloaded by POP, that's it, no copy is retained.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I think you will have to set your phone up to use IMAP. The Yahoo POP3 service works as it should, ie, when a message is downloaded there is no copy left on the server. Gmail did not work like this, retaining a copy on the server even when set up for POP. Imap will leave a copy available to be downloaded using POP 3 on your desktop client.

The same applies to why you have no received emails on your web mail, once they are downloaded by POP, that's it, no copy is retained.
      many thanks for your reply.
      could you please advise what / how i set my iphone mail up to imap instead of pop 3.
      appreciate your help.

Thanks

You can find out how to do this here - Get emails on your mobile or tablet | Sky Help

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

many thanks. followed the instructions. set it up as imap and believe it or not if i read and delete a test email on my phone the message would still not appear in windows live mail. if i read and don't delete a message from the phone it does appear in windows live mail!!
      think i will just have to live with it and learn not to delete important messages from my phone until i've downloaded them to my laptop first. does anyone know for how long and how many messages can be kept on an iphone until they are auto-deleted from the mail app on the phone?
      thanks again.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You could install the Yahoo Mail app and use that, just login to it with your sky details.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      You could install the Yahoo Mail app and use that, just login to it with your sky details.
      Hi Alan
      Tried that. But still emails deleted thru the app do not then download to windows live mail. Really miss this feature.

Thanks

IMAP is supposed to leave the email on the server, so I don't know why it is not working for you. They do say IMAP will work with mobiles although they do not support its use with desktops. This should mean you can access the emails with mobiles up until you download them using POP3 on the desktop, they would then not be available on the mobile. Maybe once they have sorted out their problems it will work as it should. I will install IMAP on my Nexus 7 and see how that goes.

TomD

Useful Utilites

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

I think what Tony is saying is if he deletes the mail on his phone it is no longer on the server, which is correct for IMAP. However it didn't work like that before which says google's implementation of IMAP is as non standard as their POP.

Sorry Tony if I misunderstand you.

Thanks

It looks like I may have misunderstood what happens. I was under the impression that using IMAP you did not actually download the message, but read it from the server. Whereas with POP3 you actually download the message and it would no longer be available on the server. The exception to this was with Gmail where you could set it to 'Leave a message on the server'. It appears you can't do this with Yahoo, when a message is downloaded it disappears from the server.

I have set up IMAP on my Nexus and can confirm if you delete a message it is no longer available to download with POP3. If you want to download a message with POP3 and have opened it with IMAP, do not delete it. As IMAP does not actually download the message, it is the headers only which are downloaded, it is taking up very little space on the mobile device, so space should be of little concern.

Contrary to what should be happening, there are several messages in my inbox, having been downloaded by POP3 and IMAP and deleted, are still present in the inbox.

TomD

Useful Utilites