Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

This is a discussion on Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; This is utter, complete rubbish! Every single time Outlook (2007) does an automated send/receive, it starts to load the same ...

TDuffield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

This is utter, complete rubbish! Every single time Outlook (2007) does an automated send/receive, it starts to load the same (almost) 6000 e-mails it already downloaded. That's over 540MB including attachments! When I cancel the action, it just tries to do it again the next time. Lord knows how many times it's done this while I've been away from the computer, and therefore I also don't know how much this is affecting my download limits.

It's the same e-mails, you incompetent idiots!!!

I don't want to get rid of them, which is what others are focused on doing, because I don't seem to have old deleted e-mails sent back to me.... I want it to stop trying to send me the same ones over... and over... and over... and over... and over... and over again! Surely this is a routine for companies who's entire business is centred around this technology.

It's playing merry hell with my ability to communicate properly, as it's also triggered by me sending an e-mail to someone.

In addition, my iPhone is not receiving mails properly

I didn't ask to be shifted to Yahoo and I don't give a rat's about Sky's business model (which is surely in great peril due to this enormous foul up), I just want to be connected properly to the service I pay good money for. It's appalling!

HELP!

Sky, fix this within 24 hours or I, (probably like many of your customers) will cancel my broadband and e-mail services and spend my hard-earned money with a company that actually cares about it's customers.
      Last edited by TDuffield; 08-04-13 at 10:19 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

Hi there TDuffield,

Have you tried the alternative approach suggested by a few members?

If you could navigate with a browser to the Sky website, click on the mail icon in the top right of the screen, you can then log into your email account that way.

Once there, simply create a new folder and move ALL the emails in your Inbox into it. Check to see if there are any other folders starting with "Inbox.???" and do the same with those.

You should then be able to open Outlook (2007) and it should not download all those emails once more.

It will also help you to set up some rules within Outlook (2007) to file those emails into different folders. This should enhance your ability to sift through them all. Below is one example of a rule which I do use:

Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session-email-rule.jpg

BTW: This forum is not staffed or owned by anyone who work for Sky. It is an unofficial forum. There are plenty of members who do work for Sky though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thank you for the reply, I edited as you requested, fair enough.

I followed your advice and went to the sky website. What I found was very interesting - all of my current e-mails (except for your two notifications) are in the "trash" folder (!) and the "inbox" is populated only by e-mails (again except for your two notifications) which date from 28 May 2012 and earlier (?!?!).

So... I thought, well, I'll move all of the "trash" mails into the "inbox"... where they should be. BUT, the "all" button simply selects all of the e-mails on the page - not really "all" at all (which is a real problem when I've got thousands of the things in the wrong place!), but actually, it's just as well, because then when I return to Outlook, and do a "send/receive", it starts downloading those on top of my existing e-mails, so now I have two versions of about three or four pages of the originals, and they are marked as unread. Astonishing.

And then I thought... why am I actually doing this? Why am I attempting to fix - in my personal time - a programming error by people charged, managed and paid to sort this stuff out in the first place? The thing is, changing my ISP and an e-mail address is easy. A bit inconvenient, but then it's over.

Firstly I do appreciate that you are trying to help (right now it must be a thankless task!) and this isn't Sky itself, but the fact is, Sky simply isn't worth keeping. How can a technology company have possibly allowed this to happen? And why waste your time unofficially (unpaid, presumably) supporting this?

It's simply not fit for purpose, and Sky should be hauled into the courts for treating it's customers this way.

Time to move on, I say.

Nonetheless, I am grateful for your response.

Thanks

Thank you for the edit.

The fact that everything was in the 'Trash' folder might have indicated that it was alright to delete it all. A simple click of the cross beside the 'Trash' heading (hover over to show it) might have been enough to resolve things.

I do not have the specific details about why Sky moved from Google to Yahoo! for their mail service. Obviously things have not gone as smoothly as everyone would have liked, but stuff like this does sadly happen.

None of the members or staff get paid to contribute to this forum, so thank you.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@ TDuffield I think your reaction is utterly appropriate and the way Sky have handled this whole affair is laughable.

I only heard about this change a few weeks ago, and only stumbled on it in this forum, I refused to accept the Yahoo terms and conditions as I know how por a service it is, and certainly would not trust them with my information. Choosing to move to yahoo over gmail in the first place was a stupid idea imo, gmail are a forward moving mail provider and surpassed yahoo many years back in terms of technology and market saturation, yahoo have been slowly failing over the last few years, and security is known to have some serious flaws that have gone completely unresolved (see bt yahoo forums for more on this! bt didn't at least make a switch, they ended up lumbered with them from the off, no doubt they may have to move on soon, perhaps to gmail, who knows!).

But the appalling thing is not so much the bad choice of change of service (no doubt profiting some middle managers who have now quietly left the building!), but the complete lack of care in overseeing this changeover, where is the testing? the negotiating with yahoo to make sure all is smooth for their customers? (that would be the priority in any deal for me). The impact and errors were all obvious to anyone involved in email provision, as a provider or even user. That they weren't addressed is unthinkable. I think my days with Sky are now numbered too, they seem to have no real interest in their customers. Hundreds of thousands of man hours must have gone into each customer trying to sort out the fiasco of their emails, when a few hundred hours in the sky email headquarters (though I now doubt there could be such a place) would have prevented all this.

Courts, then move on sounds like the way forward!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I do not have the specific details about why Sky moved from Google to Yahoo! for their mail service. Obviously things have not gone as smoothly as everyone would have liked, but stuff like this does sadly happen.

Not gone as smoothly as everyone would have liked!!!???? stuff like this does sadly happen!!!???

yes, gross negligence does happen, complete lack of planning, no testing, no forethought! You make it sound like what has happened is somehow unlucky or unfortunate. It was all completely predictable and 100% preventable!! I don't know why you are so apologetic for Sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      None of the members or staff get paid to contribute to this forum, so thank you.
      Ok, that's a gimme, and thanks for all you do here, but I'd be careful of trying to pacify people and excuse sky. we really need you on our side not theirs on this one. The customers have done nothing wrong here, sky have, and big time.

Not trying to be weird, you say no one from skyuser is paid to post here, which I'm sure is 100% true, but out of interest, do any of the staff have any financial links with Sky in any other respects?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benaline View Post
      ...Ok, that's a gimme, and thanks for all you do here, but I'd be careful of trying to pacify people and excuse sky. we really need you on our side not theirs on this one. The customers have done nothing wrong here, sky have, and big time.

Not trying to be weird, you say no one from skyuser is paid to post here, which I'm sure is 100% true, but out of interest, do any of the staff have any financial links with Sky in any other respects?
      One member of the team did have a short-term contract through the firm which they were employed by, for some services for Sky. Otherwise non of the moderating team or either of the owners work directly or indirectly for Sky. Through pension plans or shares some may own shares in Sky, but to the best of my knowledge this does not influence anything which is done through the forum.

Personally speaking, I have never financially gained anything which others could not have gained themselves.

As for foreseeing all the mess, I can't comment on what specific test procedures were completed prior to the switch. I am aware that a small number of people were moved to Sky Yahoo! Mail some time ago. I am not aware of any issues identified during that process.

Since I have been using POP3 anyway with Sky Mail, I personally didn't experience the issues which so many people have had. I do use the Google & Hotmail calendars (even linked them together) so that I can use my phone to record appointments, etc. and view them on my Laptop. However I have never used the Calendar in Sky's email service. As for contacts, these are all on my Laptop and mobile phone. I don't have them with Sky's email either.

I do recognise that a lot of people were affected negatively by this switchover. As much as I understand I also need to work with the other moderators and keep the language on this forum to a suitable level. Rather than penalise the OP, in this case I simply asked for an edit to be made, thus recognising the widespread anger caused by these issues.

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info re any links between Sky and skyuser, I'd always assumed there were no formal links, and I'm happy that is still true, but its good to know.

As for foreseeing the yahoo mail issues, that they had a small team moved specifically to deal with the yahoo mail some time ago, is maybe a little more worrying. I've some limited experience of mail migration, and all the issues that have arisen for sky should have been clearly identified long ago, and if not resolvable easily, should have led to a pause/delay or phased introduction. This really isn't rocket science in any way. Its all quite old technologies, and the majority of users systems and usage patterns will already be known. There really is no excuse for this level of incompetence, and if a dedicated team was in place, I am at a loss as to know what they must have been doing all this time.

As for the edit of the OP issue, I was not aware of that, so wasn't referring to it, but all sounds fair enough.

Thanks again for your input and transparency.

Thanks

Links between this forum and Sky are generally informal. Ged has a few friendly contacts. As for myself, along with a few other members, I was invited to join the new 'Super User' group on the Sky forums. This allows Super Users to discuss specific issues and gain access to information on new things a little earlier.

I do not know how large or small the team of people who have been working on this transition are. All I know was that there were some people who had their email accounts moved across to Sky Yahoo! Mail some time ago.

Thanks

This seems to have touched several nerves.

Scubbie, I'm not sure why you just raised the language issue at all. When I first posted, you sent me a PM asking me to modify some pretty mild Anglo-Saxon, all but one of which used asterisks in place of letters. I modified them within minutes! It's doubtful that anybody currently on this thread even saw it. If it was serious stuff, you presumably would have done as you say, removed the post. That item was killed before it started. Then you brought it up. ???

The only relevant issue (or set of issues) here relate(s) to the problem(s) at hand, put forcefully by a number of people affected, including myself, in strong sentiments, not language.

Visiting the Sky mail home page from my work computer today, the trash had all been emptied. Hooray! But returning to my home PC here, the same issue remains! Downloads of close to 4000 e-mails being attempted (don't know why the number has changed!) over and over....

I'm pretty technically savvy - I build gaming computers for a hobby - but have never had to deal with any e-mail glitches, they just work. They're basically a known and are generally well-managed by ISPs. I've certainly learned something on here about comparisons between gmail and yahoo, and the more I read, the less I'm inclined to doubt my initial feelings - this is absolutely "rubbish" (how's that for restraint?) and is the result of some mind-boggling incompetence.

There is a common theme running here... most posters have said it... how could a company with the resources of Sky get it so utterly wrong?

To earn my crust I'm the head of the construction programme for a significant local authority. Everything is process, reporting, more process, yet more process, a large dose of accountability, risk management, reporting, yet more process and most of all - being answerable to the clients - I build, repair and renovate libraries, schools, sport and leisure centres, administration buildings, public conveniences, the works, so I know a little bit about how to run a technical programme. Everything is planned and crucially, you load the thing with contingencies until you're confident - and most importantly your CLIENTS are confident - that you've got it right. Oh, and then you do some "after-care". It's rigorous, quite often very difficult and you are subject to challenges, auditing and the scrutiny of the executive, the politicians, auditors, the public and the press. But... that's what the job is about. It's what you DO.

And that's just what Sky hasn't done.

Thanks

Oh, and now receiving e-mails I should have got 4 days ago.

Sheesh.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast