Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

This is a discussion on Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Thank you for putting your responses into context. I am aware that as a member of this site who contributes ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

Thank you for putting your responses into context.

I am aware that as a member of this site who contributes regularly that many people see my answers. Prior to being invited to join the staff I always posted within a reasonable boundary and this I have hopefully continued to do so as a Moderator.

I would trust that I have built up a reputation for good advice and obviously this topic is something which you seem to know a great deal more about. This is noted.

I have had a Hotmail account for many years now. I closed my original one as it was swamped with spam. I have also used Yahoo!'s services a great deal and seen the benefits and pitfalls of their setup.

Gmail has evolved too over time. However I personally do not like to use my full name on the Internet for safety and security. It is out there if you know where to look.

For myself I use a collection of accounts for different purposes. I use an email client to access them all and try to keep the messages safely. I know a few others who do this too.

One thing that I dislike about gmail is that it prevents my client from being able to filter the messages automatically and place them in specific folders. This is also true of Hotmail.

I can use the filters on my Yahoo! accounts and is extremely useful when sifting through the collections of messages which I have.

I appreciate that many people love the ability to be able to view the same messages on their PCs, Laptops, tablets, Macs, smart phones and any other suitable device. Knowing that a message has already been read and not having to work it out is a great benefit of the gmail service.

Yahoo! has come under a great deal of flack in the past year over their secrecy of hiding the fact that someone has managed to gain access to masses of accounts. This is a very poor record.

Hotmail is owned by M$, a firm which is untrusted by many people, but has a huge influence on our daily lives. Until recently I found this service to be great with it's association of the Hotmail Messenger (renamed MSN Messenger, then Windows Live Messenger). They are now pushing people onto Skype, but I already have a Skype account and they don't allow me the opportunity to merge the two.

Google owns gmail. It too has come under fire from various people and organisations in recent years over privacy issues (yes I know that I mentioned this previously).

Without a definitive guide exposing the virtues and pitfalls of each individual service, it would IMHO be wrong to exclude the others. How someone uses their email service and any associated features will influence which one they want to use.

Many firms ban the use of social networks within the office. Many actually block sites such as Hotmail purely because of the Messenger service. I suspect that they will also block Y!M, Skype and many more.

When you are evaluating a product for commercial use, the requirements are going to be quite different for home use.

You also mentioned that Hushmail requires you to check your account every 3 weeks. I would agree with you that this is far too short a period of time and 25mb is too tiny for much of what people can legitimately send. Just having an attachment of a photo would be likely to cause a problem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for appreciating and understanding my last post about info in this thread.

Agree with all you say in this post. It also highlights the way different providers deal differently with the same functions (and some of the reasons the sky switchover was so problem filled). One thing springs to mind though (I don't know what client you are using that is problematic with gmail filtering) but gmail does have its own filter system Using filters - Gmail Help , not sure if that would help you any though...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

As anyone who needs to contact me immediately has my phone number, I am not too worried about sorting the messages into different folders on my mobile. Gmail obviously does allow this. However I only ever get a few messages via this account and they are mostly to do with my phone (i.e. purchases).

I compartmentalise my other accounts too.

The biggest issue I have is with people who pass on joke emails. What do they have to just forward it to 50 people in their address book all at the same time, without removing the email addresses of the past 50,000 people also included?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      The biggest issue I have is with people who pass on joke emails. What do they have to just forward it to 50 people in their address book all at the same time, without removing the email addresses of the past 50,000 people also included?
      Yes, and this is one of the main face-palming hypocrisies of some of the people overconcerned with privacy soundbites, is that they do this, or Facebook, or carry everything about them on an unencrypted phone they lose once a year. We can debate the morals and agreements of various email providers, but in the end the biggest privacy breakers are usually our friends or ourselves!

Btw, I was checking the terms of conditions of the new sky Yahoo mail offering and speed this;

"... I agree and understand that to deliver product features, relevant advertising and abuse protection, Yahoo!'s automated systems scan and analyse all email, instant messages and other communications services added to the Sky Yahoo! Mail service."

Yet unlike gmail no one had even commented on it that I know of . . .

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Yet unlike gmail no one had even commented on it that I know of . . .
      This was commented on earlier on when the move was first announced. That is why it was recommended that you turn on SSL settings permanently, not just when in a public place. I read this on a Sophos site and passed it on here. Here is the original - Using Yahoo Mail? You should turn on this privacy option as soon as possible | Naked Security

If you are using a desktop client with SSL turned on, can they still read your mail?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

I notice yahoo don't provide the SSL option for 'classic mail' users like myself.

That's nice of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      I notice yahoo don't provide the SSL option for 'classic mail' users like myself.

That's nice of them.
      I am not sure what you mean by 'classic mail'?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

It's their older version, 'mail classic' they call it.

I prefer the basic versions & always used the html version of gmail by choice (no adverts & faster).

Don't have the choice with yahoo though.

Thanks

I was under the impression Yahoo Mail Classic had been discontinued and everyone had been upgraded to the new version, which does allow SSL.

TomD

Useful Utilites

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Maybe it's only available on detection of an incompatible browser?

There's a few comments on that sophos site from bt yahoo users, saying it's the classic version without SSL option for them.
      That was january though.

Hopefully, if i log in & upgrade to 'new' yahoo on a pc & enable SSL, i'll get back on classic when i next log in at home.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast