Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 21 to 30 of 47
    Like Tree2Likes

    Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

    This is a discussion on Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am still pretty sure that some of the blame for this lies with the way Gmail handled POP accounts. ...

    1. #21
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      34,256
      Thanks
      65
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      I am still pretty sure that some of the blame for this lies with the way Gmail handled POP accounts. Unlike most email providers they kept a copy of the mail in the Inbox after it was downloaded as the default setting. If you did not empty your Inbox on a regular basis the number of emails kept there built up into several thousands. When Yahoo took over the account it transferred the Inbox to its servers. The Yahoo servers could not differentiate between what had been read and what had not, so delivered them all.

      Sky should have known that this would happen and have advised users to delete emails in their Inbox which they did not want to keep, before the switch took place. This would have avoided some users getting all of their emails delivered from right back when they first switched to Google, about 2006, if I remember correctly. It would also have reduced the strain on the Yahoo servers which I have no doubt caused more problems.
      gymno likes this.

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.






    2. Advertisement
    3. #22
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      28,201
      Thanks
      844
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      May be I am scare mongering. The truth is that everyone who has been posting about the virtues of gmail has apparently forgotten the court cases where Google as a company has found itself in major trouble with regards to invading our privacy.

      Sure the service might be better. Sure IMAP may be better when you are using multiple devices to access the same email account, which is quite common now, but please do remember that Hotmail, Google and Yahoo! are all primarily owned and run from the USA first and foremost. Their expectation of privacy, from what I have seen elsewhere, is practically non-existent compared to the UK.

      As for the stories, sure I don't know anything, but based upon the recent history, do not be surprised.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    4. #23
      benaline's Avatar
      benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Posts
      119
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      I don't think this is acceptable for a moderator. Scaremongering and misinformation?

      People have been posting about the virtues of gmail, because it deserves it. This is an email thread, and even an entire section of the forum just about email. Gmail is the world leader in mail for good reason. Your posts in this thread are ridiculous and illogical.

      I'm horrified that you are advising people on your bizarre hunches instead of known facts.

      In order to get this thread back on track, for those liking for a more rounded and thorough recommendation or evaluation of leading free email providers here are a few links from the first page of a Google search.

      http://email.about.com/od/freeemailr...free_email.htm

      http://free-email-services-review.toptenreviews.com

      http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2408983,00.asp


      I'm not endorsing any of these, and don't guarantee their impartiality!

    5. #24
      Scubbie's Avatar
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Location
      Near Portsmouth
      Posts
      28,201
      Thanks
      844
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      I am trying to encourage people not to be sheep. If you wish to be a sheep and follow the flock then by all means do so.

      How many of us have actually read all the terms and conditions for all the three main email providers?

      As for me wearing the Moderator cap, please feel free to criticise me, but my views are my own. I try not to wave the cap in front of people and have on may occasions invited people to confirm of deny what I have posted where possible. Obviously I would ask that any criticism is fair and respectful, as much as all posts should be on this forum.

      If I had all the answers to everything, then I would be worth a fortune.

      Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

    6. #25
      gymno's Avatar
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      I'm really not well versed in these things but a friend told me the other day:
      "Google+ requirement for using youtube is coming, so i'll most likely stop using youtube for uploading."

      Another friend told me ages ago that sky's decision to ditch gmail in favour of yahoo could have something to do with their plans to link everything up with g+ & using peoples real names.

      I've been online for less than 2 years, so know very little but what i can say for certain having spoken to many people now, is that this negative perception of google is definitely growing.

      Being a noob, i have to bow down to superior knowledge, trust what my friends tell me & retain the instinct that there's no smoke without fire.

    7. #26
      benaline's Avatar
      benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Posts
      119
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I am trying to encourage people not to be sheep. If you wish to be a sheep and follow the flock then by all means do so.
      This seems rather rude and ignorant. Are you suggesting that people who believe gmail to be one of the best free email services are sheep? Just because something is popular and good, doesn't mean you should start mistrusting it, sure there are alternatives but I don't know of a better one. You're supposed mistrust of google corp in general is not really relevant here in the email section, nor well informed, I imagine you use google search, youtube, google maps, google street view. Do you do this because you like them? or because you feel compelled to follow the crowd? (It is possible you don't use/like these, but firstly I'd be surprised, and secondly I could happily suggest some alternatives)

      Part of my job involves corporate and customer based email migration and provision. I have many years experience with it, and with all the main providers and email clients (which is also why I can recognise both sky and yahoo have made some awful decisions and shown some shocking levels of incompetence in their recent email switch disaster, I also stated my concerns about this prior to it all going so horribly wrong, so its not just a case of the clarity of hindsight). My views are based on technical and general knowledge, and personal and professional experience, not hunches or current trends, and I need to refresh my knowledge on an almost daily basis. Any advice I give people is as unbiased as possible, as my interest is providing the best solution for the user. There is no reason to trust Gmail any less than any other email provider, in fact, extrapolating historically, I say you might want to trust them slightly more. And for different applications I can recommend a variety of email providers, they are all have their individual specialities/pitfalls. In terms of security and privacy, gmail is one of the best, despite some of the headline attention they get (that is often the payoff for being big). They are also the best all rounder for people starting from square one for a larger variety a reasons, futurablilty and accountability and supportability being just some. Being the largest and most used definitely has its benefits.

      Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      As for me wearing the Moderator cap, please feel free to criticise me, but my views are my own.
      I already feel free to criticise you, but I think you don't quite understand the issues around this. As a moderator your views, statements and opinions carry more weight. You must be aware of this. You claim a relationship with Sky itself and put in many hours here (which is admirable), but because of this people will give extra credence to your posts. In my opinion you should therefore be much more careful what technical advice you give, if you are giving advice that is unsafe or just your opinion, you should clearly state this. Your statements about Gmail in this thread are nonsense and just your opinion, but you continue to repeat and expand on them through complete conjecture. I've tried to get this thread on track by providing balanced public information relevant to the thread issues (did you actually read any of it?) to counter the misleading "opinions" you are putting forward, but you still want to drag the thread back to your view that all who use google are now sheep! As a moderator, on a technical help thread, I view that as unnacceptable and irresponsible. If you wish to post random thoughts and prejudices, use a personal account. For facts and technical help...try your best to be sure its correct, and if you are not sure, don't post! there are many others here that can and will help. But certainly don't suggest you are aware of "news" about gmail privacy that wont come out for a couple of years, when if fact you don't. That is completely wrong, and could lead people to make some very unwise decisions.
      [/QUOTE]

      Might I also suggest if you want to carry on discussing privacy security and trustability and conspiracy theories of the wider aspects of google, microsoft, yahoo, apple etc, you do so in a new thread in a different section, I'd be more than happy to contribute there and it might be interesting. But here in the email section in a thread about someones outlook issues is perhaps not the best or most helpful place.

      Peace

    8. #27
      benaline's Avatar
      benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Posts
      119
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      I'm really not well versed in these things but a friend told me the other day:
      "Google+ requirement for using youtube is coming, so i'll most likely stop using youtube for uploading."
      I'm not sure your freind is right here. Google have been suggesting people do this for some time, but so far there is a clear option given not to. There are some good reasons for this, and for accountablilty in youtube commenting (which is prone to offensive comments) but its not for me either!

      Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Another friend told me ages ago that sky's decision to ditch gmail in favour of yahoo could have something to do with their plans to link everything up with g+ & using peoples real names.
      I'm almost positive this is untrue. Firstly sky would have likely a bespoke version of gmail that does not have to keep pace with standalone gmail practices. (virgin have this too). Ultimately Sky are responsible and accountable for their isp mail, including support (one of the only advantages of isp mail) As sky and g+ have no links, this would not be included in any contract made with google (which was also pre the existence of g+).

      Again the "real name" issue is entirely optional. I have a wide variety of various google accounts. Each have asked me if I "want" to use my real name, but the option to use any nickname etc is always there and clearly shown and explained. Again, no plans to enforce this are planned, or even enforcable! Google have a good history in supporting anonymity.

      Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      I've been online for less than 2 years, so know very little but what i can say for certain having spoken to many people now, is that this negative perception of google is definitely growing.
      I agree, but I fear it is more about google's size (they are huge) than how they actually are operating. Other providers (yahoo , microsoft, applefor instance) have worse records and accountability, but because they are diminishing in size get little attention. Its always worth keeping an eye on all of the internet content providers though, google no exception!

      Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Being a noob, i have to bow down to superior knowledge, trust what my friends tell me & retain the instinct that there's no smoke without fire.
      Yes that's tricky, as a noob, I'd still recommend you do listen to your friends, but remember, even if very IT literate, their views may not be "correct" or "balanced", so maybe check on the internet if you can, and from a viriety of sources (or sometimes search the opposite of their advice or opinion to see what crops up), you'll soon be able to ditch those training wheels and give them some helpful info in return!
      Last edited by benaline; 14-04-13 at 10:13 AM.

    9. #28
      benaline's Avatar
      benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Posts
      119
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      Quote Originally Posted by kman28 View Post
      Hush mail are useful free and paid
      Hmmm, couldn't reply to this straight away, but after some reasearch I'd say stay well away, especially from the free service.

      Email storage size is 25mb: That is absolutely tiny! and would fail for me on day1!
      If you don't use it for 3 weeks, they SUSPEND your free account, and you're email address. (holiday, illness, whatever), you then have to pay to retain your email address!

      Their supposed high privacy and security is rightly under scrutiny. Despite offering encryption and privacy, they have shown to have many vulnerabilities, and have controversially handed over plain text emails to the authorities...

      Surprisingly, you are certainly not alone in recommending it, but I'd suggest that, certainly for the free model, it is not a sensible service, maybe it was once good...

      Hushmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Last edited by benaline; 14-04-13 at 10:12 AM.

    10. #29
      terryf's Avatar
      terryf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: retford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q hub
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Posts
      82
      Thanks
      15
      Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      Quote Originally Posted by benaline View Post
      This seems rather rude and ignorant. Are you suggesting that people who believe gmail to be one of the best free email services are sheep? Just because something is popular and good, doesn't mean you should start mistrusting it, sure there are alternatives but I don't know of a better one. You're supposed mistrust of google corp in general is not really relevant here in the email section, nor well informed, I imagine you use google search, youtube, google maps, google street view. Do you do this because you like them? or because you feel compelled to follow the crowd? (It is possible you don't use/like these, but firstly I'd be surprised, and secondly I could happily suggest some alternatives)

      Part of my job involves corporate and customer based email migration and provision. I have many years experience with it, and with all the main providers and email clients (which is also why I can recognise both sky and yahoo have made some awful decisions and shown some shocking levels of incompetence in their recent email switch disaster, I also stated my concerns about this prior to it all going so horribly wrong, so its not just a case of the clarity of hindsight). My views are based on technical and general knowledge, and personal and professional experience, not hunches or current trends, and I need to refresh my knowledge on an almost daily basis. Any advice I give people is as unbiased as possible, as my interest is providing the best solution for the user. There is no reason to trust Gmail any less than any other email provider, in fact, extrapolating historically, I say you might want to trust them slightly more. And for different applications I can recommend a variety of email providers, they are all have their individual specialities/pitfalls. In terms of security and privacy, gmail is one of the best, despite some of the headline attention they get (that is often the payoff for being big). They are also the best all rounder for people starting from square one for a larger variety a reasons, futurablilty and accountability and supportability being just some. Being the largest and most used definitely has its benefits.



      I already feel free to criticise you, but I think you don't quite understand the issues around this. As a moderator your views, statements and opinions carry more weight. You must be aware of this. You claim a relationship with Sky itself and put in many hours here (which is admirable), but because of this people will give extra credence to your posts. In my opinion you should therefore be much more careful what technical advice you give, if you are giving advice that is unsafe or just your opinion, you should clearly state this. Your statements about Gmail in this thread are nonsense and just your opinion, but you continue to repeat and expand on them through complete conjecture. I've tried to get this thread on track by providing balanced public information relevant to the thread issues (did you actually read any of it?) to counter the misleading "opinions" you are putting forward, but you still want to drag the thread back to your view that all who use google are now sheep! As a moderator, on a technical help thread, I view that as unnacceptable and irresponsible. If you wish to post random thoughts and prejudices, use a personal account. For facts and technical help...try your best to be sure its correct, and if you are not sure, don't post! there are many others here that can and will help. But certainly don't suggest you are aware of "news" about gmail privacy that wont come out for a couple of years, when if fact you don't. That is completely wrong, and could lead people to make some very unwise decisions.
      Might I also suggest if you want to carry on discussing privacy security and trustability and conspiracy theories of the wider aspects of google, microsoft, yahoo, apple etc, you do so in a new thread in a different section, I'd be more than happy to contribute there and it might be interesting. But here in the email section in a thread about someones outlook issues is perhaps not the best or most helpful place.

      Peace[/QUOTE]
      I am afraid you are sounding like a rude know-all, full of your own importance.

    11. #30
      benaline's Avatar
      benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Posts
      119
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

      Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

      Quote Originally Posted by terryf View Post
      I am afraid you are sounding like a rude know-all, full of your own importance.
      Hmm, quite possibly, and you are entitled to your opinion of course, but personally I feel there is very little about "me" in my comments, I'd also consider calling people "sheep" is far more rude, and the only stuff about me here is in an attempt also show how untrue, and baseless that might be .

      To me, it is very important correct information is given where possible, especially at this critical time for everyone's email. For a member of the moderation team to be giving such personal and irrational beliefs and hunches as actual advice, is perhaps more of an issue. Like I said, I had tried to tackle this issue less verbosely earlier in this thread, but to no avail...

     

     
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2020. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION