Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

This is a discussion on Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; And now receiving e-mails on my iPhone from 2012. Stupid, stupid Sky....

TDuffield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Outlook tries to download the SAME 6000 email every send/receive session

And now receiving e-mails on my iPhone from 2012.

Stupid, stupid Sky.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Your phone should be synchronising with the on-line account. Since all 6,000 emails are available, you should be able to see them all.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

TDuffield is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Nope. Just 22 emails from 2012 and everything else now gone except one I just sent myself from work and notification of your reply.

Why would I want 6000 e-mails suddenly downloading onto my iPhone? And if that happens, it will absolutely bust my allowable usage out into the stratosphere. I'll be seeking remuneration from Sky when that invoice arrives. That will be a jolly good use of my time, eh? What an unpleasant situation.

Researching new e-mail options tonight and tomorrow. Probably go with gmail. That is, back where it should have been kept in the first place. I'll keep this horror show alive until the new account is stable. Then "bye bye Sky"

Another long standing customer gone from Sky. They must have allowed a certain amount of lost revenue risk into their business plan. My guess is that they undercooked it by a country mile. Everything worked like clockwork until this, but who now cares? Not I.

Revenue is king. Oh the damage, the damage!

Thanks

Quite a few people recommend using an email service away from any ISP.

Do remember though to check out the T&Cs. Google has a very poor record regarding privacy rights. M$ own Hotmail and it's associated accounts and services.

There are a variety of options available, but it depends on what you are prepared to pay and your technical knowledge to make things work for you.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Vodafone
      Router: THG3000
      Sky TV: Freesat/Now TV
      Thanks

TDuffield:
      I think you are right, go with gmail for your email, but I bet you stay with sky as your ISP so they lose nothing except the agro of having you as as an email client. I like my sky address and will suffer the pain to keep it, but I have the knowledge to be able to adapt to the changes.

Sky have made an appalling decision to go with Yahoo when the Google solution was working so well but I'm sure they have highly paid directors who know better than me so that is the way it is.
      gymno likes this.

benaline is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Quite a few people recommend using an email service away from any ISP.

Do remember though to check out the T&Cs. Google has a very poor record regarding privacy rights. M$ own Hotmail and it's associated accounts and services.

There are a variety of options available, but it depends on what you are prepared to pay and your technical knowledge to make things work for you.
      I'd have to disagree with your criticising gmail so heavily. Privacy wise they are very clear and transparent. I have used gmail since its inception and have no concerns re privacy or security. There was at one point some concern about advertising within the email system being based on email content, but it was largely misunderstood and overblown by the media, and in fact was well thought out privacy wise, gmail were not sending out personal information to third parties, nor reading mail.

Yahoo and hotmail both allow users personal information to be used for advertising purposes. This was one of the reasons I refused to agree to the new sky Yahoo terms and conditions, as this is what it would have allowed, as well as you having to provide extra information to them (I didn't do this, so can't be sure, but didn't you have to provide them with phone numbers etc?). This is far worse privacy wise imo than the previous sky-gmail system! If there is any baddy in the current equation it is sky, they are the one farming out mail provision to potentially dubious third parties, rather than operate their own mail servers, or none at all.

Google themselves have had privacy concerns in other areas of their business, but this had nothing to do with their mail.

In my opinion gmail is by far the best system of the three you mention, it is free, so "how much you pay" really doesn't enter the equation and technical knowledge is not an issue either, all three require very little and I know of no other email provision service that requires less!

To be honest I think your post is rather misleading and unbalanced.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by benaline View Post
      Google themselves have had privacy concerns in other areas of their business, but this had nothing to do with their mail.
      Perhaps I am looking at other sides of their business. They seem to want to pry into everyone's personal life without our consent.

Google got heavily criticised with their new Terms and Conditions which amalgamated all their services into one set. It isn't too hard for them to harvest data from everything now, including any email accounts. Don't be surprised when the news leaks in a few years.

As for the other providers, sure they are no better.

kman28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Banbridge (NIBB)
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Hush mail are useful free and paid
      Sky Fiber 40/10 Connection - DL 39998 - UL 10000

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

...Don't be surprised when the news leaks in a few years.

What news? What are you suggesting?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Perhaps I am looking at other sides of their business. They seem to want to pry into everyone's personal life without our consent.

Google got heavily criticised with their new Terms and Conditions which amalgamated all their services into one set. It isn't too hard for them to harvest data from everything now, including any email accounts. Don't be surprised when the news leaks in a few years.

As for the other providers, sure they are no better.
      Scubbie, this comes across as utter scaremongering and conjecture, and if I dare say so great ignorance.

Your unwillingness to expand by explaining what"news" will surprise us in a couple of years speaks volumes (I noticed you did the same in a thread about sky go recently too, where I questioned the validity of what you were saying)

Google's unification of terms and conditions a couple of years back was actually considered by many a good thing. Sure, it was a change, but variations in different product's terms and conditions (mail, search, youtube etc) which had come together under the Google banner were confused by their differences. So they unified it, it meant you could sign in to youtube with your gmail id, without the rules changing under your feet.

But in general you seem to be trying to find fault with Google mail for little reason. Their record is very good, and they have performed extremely well with sky for all these years without any known security or other issue I'm aware of. Almost all agree the change to Yahoo is a downgrade, and had already been disastrous in its handling of the switch over.

But people here are looking for solid factual advice during a very confusing time for some, the advice to switch to non isp based mail in this thread is a good one.and using gmail is probably the best choice for many for free, feature filled, reliable, and secure mail.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast