Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree8Likes

This Yahoo Mail is Total Crap

This is a discussion on This Yahoo Mail is Total Crap within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What I find annoying is that Sky decided to make this change not for the benefit of customers - because ...

Diplo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Caldy
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: This Yahoo Mail is Total Crap

What I find annoying is that Sky decided to make this change not for the benefit of customers - because it's clear that Yahoo's service isn't as good as Google's - but simply to save money. Did anyone ask for this or want it? Where customer consulted or given the option to stay on the old service? No.

So all this disruption and hassle has been landed at the feet of customers who already pay a premium to Sky simply to allow Sky to make even bigger profits! You'd think a company making over 1.2 billion in pure profit each year would try and improve customer services, not make reduce them!

I have to say I'm getting less and less impressed with Sky's service. It seems new customers get lots of attention (shiny new routers, for instance) whilst old, loyal customers get a steadily reducing service (as the network gets more congested).
      jaydee likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

There are some benefits.

Sky have secured the ability to store even more emails and other content within the Sky Yahoo! Mail service.

I appreciate that the POP3 system is not as good as IMAP, especially with the changing ways in which we all access the Internet and our emails. Please do remember that this is the first day of this new system and that the people in charge of supporting it are very busy working to resolve things.

Personally I am getting frustrated with things too. Currently I am only accessing one of my Sky accounts. This is because I am signed in with my browser and can't easily keep switching from one to the other. I have had to set up a couple of filters as I was struggling to get through all the different messages. Once I am able to download them, I shall be a happy bunny again.

I have raised a summary of some of the issues and I am waiting for a response from the contact we have on the Sky forums. At the moment I haven't heard anything back though.

P.S. I did suggest that someone lock the team in a room for the whole of today in case there are any issues. I forgot to suggest that they should have access to the computers too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I did suggest that someone lock the team in a room for the whole of today in case there are any issues.
      Talk about locking the stable door. I think they should have done that three months ago and thrown away the key.

Thanks

Personally I would have preferred someone at Sky to setup and run their own email servers, without relying on another provider.

Unfortunately no one asked Sky's customers.
      gymno and Steele11 like this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Does any ISP do that? I have an old Telinco email account which I think has been taken over by TalkTalk. I received an email a few weeks ago to inform me that they are going to pull the plug on it next month.
      Dear customer,

We are writing to remind you that your telinco.co.uk email addresses will be withdrawn and will no longer be operational from 1st May 2013. Also if you host a personal website with us this will also be withdrawn on this date. We are currently undertaking a systems rationalisation and, unfortunately, we can no longer provide this service from this date.

The platform that supports this service is at the end of its operational life and can no longer be supported unfortunately.

You should ensure that you have made any necessary arrangements to back-up any important emails and transition to a new service as appropriate before this date.

Kind regards

Telinco Customer Services

Thanks

It does look like it was TalkTalk's directors who worked their magic with this one:

Bye-bye Telinco - death warrant finally issued by TalkTalk ? The Register

This is perhaps why so many people now prefer to have their own email servers and addresses now.

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

I haven't changed any of the settings in the gmail app on my HTC one s, yet it still allows me to send e-mails from my @sky.com address, but won't receive any!
      Really not digging the fact that once I view an email in Windows Live mail, it disappears from the web inbox to the trash!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      This is perhaps why so many people now prefer to have their own email servers and addresses now.
      It is also good news for the spammers who use such miss-configured servers to disseminate their wares.

Thanks

Very true.

I once had access to a mail server for a site and the amount of spam being sent at random was phenomenal after just a couple of months. I regularly visited it to remove the spam which was being picked up as it was filling up the space available.

I dread to think just how much Glenn sees on the SkyUser server, even though it isn't used widely.

Thanks

Yippee!! There is hope at the end of the tunnel.

I rebooted my laptop a little while ago and can now access both Sky email accounts via Windows Live Mail once more.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast