Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Conflicting information on IMAP support in Sky Yahoo Mail

This is a discussion on Conflicting information on IMAP support in Sky Yahoo Mail within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The Sky help pages show conflicting information on whether the Yahoo mail servers support IMAP protocol or not. The page ...

ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

The Sky help pages show conflicting information on whether the Yahoo mail servers support IMAP protocol or not.

The page states that IMAP is supported for tablets but not desktop computers.

I can't see what difference it makes whether the email client program is running on a tablet or laptop or desktop device.
      If the server settings in the email client are identical then surely it should work the same whatever device the client is running on.

This page lists the IMAP settings for an iOS, Android or Blackberry tablet which are imap.tools.sky.com with SSL and smtp.tools.sky.com with SSL (which is the same as the current Sky/GMail settings).

Windows desktop users are supposed to only use these POP settings.

What about Windows 8 tablets? Can they use the "tablet" IMAP settings?

If the mail servers do support IMAP protocol then I can see no reason why they should care about what client they are talking to.

2. Advertisement
      Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Conflicting information on IMAP support in Sky Yahoo Mail

I'm confused also since the mail client on Windows 8 (PC) can only be configured for IMAP. I'm of the opinion Sky are trying hard to pretend Windows 8 does not exist. For example they still do not support Sky Go on Windows 8 PCs.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sadly Yahoo! mail only supports IMAP in this way. It is possible with new Yahoo! mail accounts to get IMAP supported on a PC, but you have to pay for these accounts.

It was mentioned very early on about IMAP support for desktops, but it looks like they never got around to changing it.

As for Windows 8 tablets, is there a Yahoo! Mail app available? I am using this on my Android to access my Sky accounts. Setting it up was relatively easy.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      I'm confused also since the mail client on Windows 8 (PC) can only be configured for IMAP. I'm of the opinion Sky are trying hard to pretend Windows 8 does not exist. For example they still do not support Sky Go on Windows 8 PCs.
      I am using Outlook 2013 (which also doesn't exist according to the Sky help pages, which think that 2010 is the most recent version) on Windows 8.
      In common with other versions of Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird etc. it can be configured for POP or IMAP.

Although it is quite an old protocol, having been developed in the late 80s and early 90s, IMAP is still better than the prehistoric POP protocol.

EAS support would be even better, but it seems that only Microsoft support that for Outlook.com (Hotmail).

I don't know whether Sky officially support Sky Go on Windows 8, but is works fine for me.

When Sky Yahoo Mail goes active then I shall try the IMAP settings for tablets on my desktop, as I see no technical reason why it should work for one email client and not another unless Yahoo are deliberately blocking IMAP access from a particular client.

If I am forced to go back to using POP protocol then I shall forward all Sky emails to my Outlook.com account and only use that.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToeKnee View Post
      I am using Outlook 2013 (which also doesn't exist according to the Sky help pages, which think that 2010 is the most recent version) on Windows 8.
      In common with other versions of Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird etc. it can be configured for POP or IMAP.
      Yes, but my point is the "built-in" email client which comes with Windows 8 for PC (I won't call it "desktop" since the email client is only accessible via the Modern UI) cannot be configured for POP. I will leave the settings as they are and see what happens in a few days.

Nobody seems to have answered your earlier point on why Yahoo would care - or even be able to tell - that your reader was using IMAP from a PC desktop.

Thanks

Another problem with POP protocol is, by default, it downloads all messages from the mail server whereas IMAP will leave a copy on the server.

This means that if I want to use the Web interface to view my previous emails at work, I won't be able to because Outlook will have downloaded the messages off the server the last time that I ran it at home.

I know that it is usually possible to configure the email client to leave a copy on the server when using POP, but if this is not the default, then most people will probably not do it and wonder why their emails are no longer accessible via the Web interface like they used to be.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

The answer to that ToeKnee is to set your email client to leave a copy on the server.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

mikelane is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pinner
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Hmm. I did not change details on my iPad and desktop Windows Outlook (both IMAP). All emails are coming in OK but had a problem sending anything. Finally worked out that if I changed the show as sent email address from my personal one to my Sky one, it worked again. However, obviously, all sent emails are apparently showing the Sky email address. Has anyone found a way of showing an alternative? Tried changing it on the web interface and sending from there but it still shows the Sky email address. However IMAP appears to work on Outlook and iPad platforms as when I deleted one on iPad, when refreshed, it had gone from Outlook on the Windows desktop platform. Surely Sky realise that IMAP still works?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      Yes, but my point is the "built-in" email client which comes with Windows 8 for PC (I won't call it "desktop" since the email client is only accessible via the Modern UI) cannot be configured for POP. I will leave the settings as they are and see what happens in a few days.

All seems to have gone smoothly for me. I touched nothing by way of settings and IMAP seems to be syncing nicely on my mobile devices and the mail client that comes with Windows 8 .

carl31 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Im having problems deleting emails to the trash folder today on my iphone 4, Its saying email can not be moved to trash folder, Was ok yesterday. Theres a new folder there today called bulk mail, Is this part of the new change ? Ive looked on the sky website and all the settings seem to be the same for Mac clients so i shouldnt have to change anything

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast