Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Make sure that you are ready for the change

This is a discussion on Make sure that you are ready for the change within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; No we aren't talking about old age, but we are talking about Sky's transition from an email product based upon ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Make sure that you are ready for the change

No we aren't talking about old age, but we are talking about Sky's transition from an email product based upon Google mail to one that will be based upon Yahoo! Mail.

As a forum we have already produced an FAQ thread: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-e...-mail-faq.html

Please do read through it if you have any questions. However Sky have also put together their own help pages too. The links are within the quote below.

Sky started sending out a mass email to everyone yesterday with some links included. Here is a copy of the email:

Hello **********,

The change to Sky Yahoo! Mail is just around the corner 4 April to be exact. We thought it'd be helpful to remind you of the important things you need to know, to make sure you're ready for the change.

We'll start switching over to Sky Yahoo! Mail late in the evening on 3 April and your webmail will be unavailable for a few hours during the night. As there is a lot of information being carefully transferred, it may take up to 24 hours for everything to appear for you, so here's when you can expect to see things in your new mailbox:

• Emails we aim to have all your emails copied across within 24 hours of the launch. This means you may not see your most recent emails right away, so if there are any important emails you'll need on 4 April itself (for example flight tickets), please make sure you've printed them off beforehand
      • Contacts To ensure your contacts are available for you to use immediately on 4 April, we will transfer a copy from 31 March. We would suggest that you avoid adding, modifying or deleting any contacts between these dates as the changes may not be replicated in your new account.
      • Calendar Your calendar will be copied across as soon as we have finished copying your emails and contacts

If you usually access Sky Email using an email client, for example Outlook, don't forget you may need to change your connection settings to see your emails coming through on 4 April. Just visit our help page for more info.

Finally, as part of the switch we will transfer your mail, calendar and contacts, but there may be some information that you'll need to back up, such as your filter settings. This is because some Sky Email features will work a little differently in Sky Yahoo! Mail, but please visit our help page for more information.

Keep an eye on our online support page for more hints and tips to help you get started with Sky Yahoo! Mail.

We hope you enjoy your new service.

The Sky Email Team

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Make sure that you are ready for the change

One Question! Why are they changing from what I think is a flawless email service portal to an absolute shambles of a company that gets hacked more times than MI5. see link Yahoo Mail Accounts Have Been Getting Hacked for Months and Millions of Yahoo Mail accounts vulnerable to email hijacking | Mail Online and the BIG one Watchdog hits out at Yahoo! for 'spying' on customer emails for targeted advertising | Mail Online is there away to continue to use googles email portal for sky emails

Thanks

The security issues have been raised and are "being watched".

The contract will probably have been signed off before the security issues were raised.

As for what can be done in order to avoid this change, there are a few threads on this topic already. Please feel to read them for more information. However, essentially you can transfer all your current contacts, emails and calendar events from the Sky email account to a different Gmail account. Then simply set up the Sky email to be automatically forwarded to your new gmail account and let people know your new email address.

In due course you can close the Sky email account, but leave the ID in place.

If you want to continue using the Sky email account, then you must change across to the new Yahoo! Mail service.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Please explain this (In due course you can close the Sky email account, butleave the ID in place.) how exactly do I do this. I really dislike yahoo.

Thanks

Essentially your Sky ID will not be deleted and will continue to be associated with your account. The email account can be closed independently. You can leave it inactive for 180 days. This will cause it to close automatically.

At this stage I do not know if there is going to be a specific option to close the account earlier.

chronic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Sky should offer its customers away to close the account 180days is a long time to wait to have a account close..

I don't want anything to do with Yahoo, I have moved everything over to a new Gmail account..

this option should be there all the time, surprised you have no other way to close sky email accounts..

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

If you did not accept Sky's new email account T&Cs then IFAIK your Sky email account will close on the change over date.

Thanks

This gives you plenty of time to notify everyone to use the new email address.

If you have not agreed to the new Sky Yahoo! Mail T&Cs, then the account will be closed much sooner.

Edit: seawright got there too
      Last edited by Scubbie; 28-03-13 at 02:43 PM.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Still not received any email informing me of the change and I do frequently check the contents of my spam folder.

I am going to change to Gmail and not go with Yahoo, not that sky want me as they are not telling me anything!

Good job I am off for a four day weekend so can do the change and make sure it all happens smoothly.

dog-man

Thanks

Strange that you never received anything.

The email which I posted a copy of in post #1 was supposed to have been sent to everyone yesterday. I found that out after I posted it here.

If you never received yesterday's email then I would suggest that you raise this on the Sky Forum so that an adviser can check your account for you.

Sky Help Forum - Sky Email & Tools - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast