Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Virus issues and Sky

This is a discussion on Virus issues and Sky within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, Towards the end of last week I believe I got a virus come in via my email client ...

TonyHSoton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01489
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Virus issues and Sky

Hi everyone,

Towards the end of last week I believe I got a virus come in via my email client Thunderbird, it was one of those from someone I knew that had a web link on it, whereby you are not even aware it was sent out.

I have since ran two thorough scans across my entire pc and as far as I am aware its clean, but I am noticing that emails are still being sent out from my account when I log into my Sky Email account online and check the sent box. It did not do it for a few days but started again last night. Would I be right in assuming that this seems to be a problem on the Sky Email servers, or should I download some other scans to search for the virus. I use Avast free edition and have not had any issues until this problem cropped up last week. I would be interested to hear if others are having these issues on the Sky mail servers.

Thanks for any help and replies.

Tony

2. Advertisement
      Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Virus issues and Sky

Yahoo?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Virus issues and Sky

Sadly I have been getting quite a few emails from some contacts in recent months which have similar links.

Thankfully I know the people and have not clicked the links.

This isn't Sky's fault. I have received emails from people who have had their email accounts cracked due to sites such as PS3, Match.com and Yahoo! being cracked.

Currently the best advice I can provide is:

• never click a link in an email unless you really know that it is safe
      • reply to your friend with the message and ask them if this was sent by them and ask them not to click the link if it wasn't
      • if your contact's email has been compromised, ensure that they change all their passwords after scanning their computer for any nasties
      • ensure that you have an AV program installed, no matter which operating system you have on your computer. It is irresponsible to not have an AV program which is up to date and working on your computer. You can also get them for Tablets and Smart Phones, so do the same with them too as they could be compromised
      • Only have one AV package running in the background, but if you are a little paranoid or wish to perform extra checks, do use an on-line scanner to do a little further checking
      • install and use a firewall (do not run multiple firewalls at the same time)
      • install and use anti-malware software

Finally the best one of all, but it is fallible:

• Use your head. If it looks too good to be true, then it most likely isn't.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.