Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help with downloading Sky emails to Outlook please

This is a discussion on Help with downloading Sky emails to Outlook please within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I have posted before on the change to Yahoo and have come to the decision on how I ...

LancashireLass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: SKY Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Help with downloading Sky emails to Outlook please

Hi all

I have posted before on the change to Yahoo and have come to the decision on how I am going to proceed BUT would like input and help if possible please.

I like the Google email set up and want to continue with it, I do have a GMAIL account and in future will use that, I hate the thought of letting everyone know my new email addy but I can’t see what else is to be done.

I have thousands of emails on my Sky account and I have Outlook Office on my pc which contains emails from Outlook Express which I refer back to so I think the best thing to do would be to download the Sky emails to Outlook but how to do that? I have my emails on Sky in folders and folders in Outlook but Outlook will not contain the new folders I have set up in the time I have been with Sky.

So how to proceed please? How do I get all my Sky emails into Outlook and does anyone know how they would be transferred i.e. the folder problem?

If this is successfully managed would you delete the emails on Sky feel iffy about leaving them there.

Would you then accept Yahoo so you can check back to mop up the emails you have forgotten to inform of new addy?

I hope I have managed to explain and that SKS can help, I am not technical but can follow simple instructions.

Any help is always appreciated.

LL

Forgot to ask, I have assumed there is no way I can transport my Sky emails to my GMAIL account, if this was possible that would be far the best solution for me.

2. Advertisement
      FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Help with downloading Sky emails to Outlook please

Hi LL,

I'll try to help by offering a broad approach. If that sounds acceptable, or if nobody comes up with a better idea, I can go into detail later.

As far as I know, Outlook will only download emails from the Sky inbox to the Outlook inbox, so the trick would be to create a new folder in Outlook called Old Inbox (or anything you like). Download all the Sky inbox files to Outlook and move all the files from the Outlook inbox into the new folder. Delete all the files from the Sky inbox (first make sure that you have copies of them all in Outlook).

Then copy the contents of each Sky folder into the Sky inbox, mark them unread and download them into the now empty Outlook inbox. Then create an Outlook folder if necessary and move them to the relevant folder. repeat this for all the Sky folders.

Finally, move all the emails from the Outlook Old Inbox (or whatever) folder back into the Outlook inbox.

One step at a time and check everything before deleting anything.

As to the future, you could keep your (new) Gmail address private by setting it to collect mail automatically from the Sky Yahoo account and make sure you hide your gmail address in the From: section of Gmail.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix
      Wireless

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FelixTCat For This Useful Post:

LancashireLass (04-03-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have a look at Google Mail Fetcher, that may be just what you want.
      Centralize mail from different accounts - Gmail Help

I am not sure about importing folders to Outlook, you may have to un-folder them, import, then put them back into folders.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FelixTCat View Post
      Hi LL,

I'll try to help by offering a broad approach. If that sounds acceptable, or if nobody comes up with a better idea, I can go into detail later.

As far as I know, Outlook will only download emails from the Sky inbox to the Outlook inbox, so the trick would be to create a new folder in Outlook called Old Inbox (or anything you like). Download all the Sky inbox files to Outlook and move all the files from the Outlook inbox into the new folder. Delete all the files from the Sky inbox (first make sure that you have copies of them all in Outlook).

Then copy the contents of each Sky folder into the Sky inbox, mark them unread and download them into the now empty Outlook inbox. Then create an Outlook folder if necessary and move them to the relevant folder. repeat this for all the Sky folders.

Finally, move all the emails from the Outlook Old Inbox (or whatever) folder back into the Outlook inbox.

One step at a time and check everything before deleting anything.

As to the future, you could keep your (new) Gmail address private by setting it to collect mail automatically from the Sky Yahoo account and make sure you hide your gmail address in the From: section of Gmail.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Felix
      Hi Felix

Many thanks for taking time to reply. OK, will need to digest that but if I follow step by step I can see it would work but we are talking thousands of emails

LL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have a look at Google Mail Fetcher, that may be just what you want.
      Centralize mail from different accounts - Gmail Help

I am not sure about importing folders to Outlook, you may have to un-folder them, import, then put them back into folders.
      Hi TomD

Will check that out.

Many thanks for your post.

LL

Thanks

Hi LL,

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond - many don't.

I appreciate that it will take time, but it doesn't all have to be done at once. You could do one folder at a time over a period - maybe one a week.

I didn't know about Google Mail Fetcher, which may speed up the process of migration to Gmail. If you go down this route, please come back and tell us how well it worked so that we can all learn from it.

In any event, you will have the benefit of backing up all your emails to more than one location - Sky, Gmail and Outlook. You do back up your Outlook databases, don't you?

Regards,

Felix
      Wireless

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FelixTCat For This Useful Post:

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I use Gmail fetcher to access my MSN Hotmail account, it save opening up another page. You just have to remember to access the account directly every few months or it will be cancelled.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi LL,

Thank you for taking the trouble to respond - many don't.

I appreciate that it will take time, but it doesn't all have to be done at once. You could do one folder at a time over a period - maybe one a week.

I didn't know about Google Mail Fetcher, which may speed up the process of migration to Gmail. If you go down this route, please come back and tell us how well it worked so that we can all learn from it.

In any event, you will have the benefit of backing up all your emails to more than one location - Sky, Gmail and Outlook. You do back up your Outlook databases, don't you?

Regards,

Felix
      Hi Felix

Thanks again for your input.

I think I need step by step instructions if you feel you have the time to help.

I did try to set up forwarding and received an email confirmation that Sky email will automatically forward to Gmail but I tried a test email from my Sky email account to see if it would go to Gmail and it didnt so I disabled Forwarding and it seems to be back to normal.

As for back up, I back up my system on an external hard drive once a month, however I am unsure if that uncludes Outlook emails as I think they are deeper in the system but really I don't know what I am talking about. I remember when I moved Outlook Express emails it was arduous as you move .PST files in the end I did manage it but it was not easy for me.

Thank you again

LL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I use Gmail fetcher to access my MSN Hotmail account, it save opening up another page. You just have to remember to access the account directly every few months or it will be cancelled.
      Hi TomD

Thank you for your post.

I did look at Gmail fetcher and set up forwarding but it didn't work so I did something wrong.

It's a bit of a struggle really.

LL

Thanks

I tried a test email from my Sky email account to see if it would go to Gmail and it didnt
      Hi LL,

I think you were a little mixed up. Forwarding from Sky to Gmail means that when an email comes into your Sky email account it is automatically forwarded to your Gmail account. To test the system, you must send an email TO your Sky account, not from it. Try setting up forwarding again and either wait until someone sends an email to your Sky account or ask someone to send one and see if it is automatically sent on to your Gmail account. You could try sending one yourself FROM your Gmail account TO your Sky account and see if it is forwarded.

If you backed up the whole of your system disk then you have backed up your Outlook emails, so at least you have that covered for now.

Retry the forwarding and see how you get on. Then we can move on.

Regards,

Felix
      Wireless

raymondox is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01708
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireLass View Post
      Hi all

I have posted before on the change to Yahoo and have come to the decision on how I am going to proceed BUT would like input and help if possible please.

I like the Google email set up and want to continue with it, I do have a GMAIL account and in future will use that, I hate the thought of letting everyone know my new email addy but I canít see what else is to be done.

I have thousands of emails on my Sky account and I have Outlook Office on my pc which contains emails from Outlook Express which I refer back to so I think the best thing to do would be to download the Sky emails to Outlook but how to do that? I have my emails on Sky in folders and folders in Outlook but Outlook will not contain the new folders I have set up in the time I have been with Sky.

So how to proceed please? How do I get all my Sky emails into Outlook and does anyone know how they would be transferred i.e. the folder problem?

If this is successfully managed would you delete the emails on Sky feel iffy about leaving them there.

Would you then accept Yahoo so you can check back to mop up the emails you have forgotten to inform of new addy?

I hope I have managed to explain and that SKS can help, I am not technical but can follow simple instructions.

Any help is always appreciated.

You could just leave your emails at sky, safe forever there. or you could follow the instructions at
      How to Move or Copy Mail from One Gmail Account to Another (Using Only Gmail) - About Email

Hope this helps

LL

Forgot to ask, I have assumed there is no way I can transport my Sky emails to my GMAIL account, if this was possible that would be far the best solution for me.

You could just leave your emails at sky, safe forever there. or you could follow the instructions at
      How to Move or Copy Mail from One Gmail Account to Another (Using Only Gmail) - About Email

Hope this helps

Thanks

Hi LL,

I think you were a little mixed up. Forwarding from Sky to Gmail means that when an email comes into your Sky email account it is automatically forwarded to your Gmail account. To test the system, you must send an email TO your Sky account, not from it. Try setting up forwarding again and either wait until someone sends an email to your Sky account or ask someone to send one and see if it is automatically sent on to your Gmail account. You could try sending one yourself FROM your Gmail account TO your Sky account and see if it is forwarded.

If you backed up the whole of your system disk then you have backed up your Outlook emails, so at least you have that covered for now.

Retry the forwarding and see how you get on. Then we can move on.

Regards,

Felix
      Hi Felix

Thanks for your post.

You are correct, I am mixed up - it does not take much . When, in the past, I have tested to see if Sky email is down I have always sent myself a test email, so my thought was if I send an email to myself and it has this forward to GMAIL then it should end up on my GMAIL account.

I will reinstate the forward and wait to see what happens to incoming emails.

Kind regards

LL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast