Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Help with downloading Sky emails to Outlook please

This is a discussion on Help with downloading Sky emails to Outlook please within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi again I have a new message this time :- pop.tool.sky.com does not support leaving messages on the server. Any ...

LancashireLass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: SKY Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Help with downloading Sky emails to Outlook please

Hi again

I have a new message this time :-

pop.tool.sky.com does not support leaving messages on the server.

Any ideas what I have done wrong this time please?

I have the box checked - Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server

If I uncheck this box and the inport does not work I thought I might not be able to access my emails on Sky.

Kind regards

LL

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

I have tried again this time I did not check the leave messages on server and it has started to work. Gmail said it could take a couple of days; so far over 300 emails have come in. I am not sure how it is all working so I will post when they have all imported then I will have a better idea where they are being placed. Certainly some are going in the correct folders. Think if it does not work correctly there may be a lot of moving but with filters I am sure I can sort it out.

Thank you for all the help, I will post back.

LL

Thanks

Moving emails has not gone well. First I had to uncheck 'leave a copy on sky' because it just would not import with it checked. It has imported many of my emails, maybe a few thousand and it has imported from my folders BUT not all and not in an order I can understand.

It has taken many hours but I have got all the imported emails on Google in their correct files and I am happy with that.

So what to do now.

As my Inbox is empty all as I can think of is move a folder into the inbox and get them imported into Google that way.

I don't know if any emails have been lost, I just have to hope.

If anyone can think of a better way to proceed, I would be most grateful.

LL

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireLass View Post
      Moving emails has not gone well. First I had to uncheck 'leave a copy on sky' because it just would not import with it checked. It has imported many of my emails, maybe a few thousand and it has imported from my folders BUT not all and not in an order I can understand.

It has taken many hours but I have got all the imported emails on Google in their correct files and I am happy with that.

So what to do now.

As my Inbox is empty all as I can think of is move a folder into the inbox and get them imported into Google that way.

I don't know if any emails have been lost, I just have to hope.

If anyone can think of a better way to proceed, I would be most grateful.

LL
      Pop is a one way protocol, once the emails are downloaded to the client if the option to leave them on the server is not set they are deleted from the server.

If you want changes made in the client to be mirrored on the server you want to be using IMAP rather than POP.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't think you have much to worry about, as you have transferred the emails to Gmail, they are now on the Gmail server, which is what you want. If you want some extra assurance and if the emails are important you will do, you should now download them to a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird. That way the Gmail server becomes your back up and with over 10Gb available you have space for a great many emails. Just make sure that the Gmail is set up to 'Keep a copy in the Inbox'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Pop is a one way protocol, once the emails are downloaded to the client if the option to leave them on the server is not set they are deleted from the server.

If you want changes made in the client to be mirrored on the server you want to be using IMAP rather than POP.
      Many thanks for your input, I didn't know that. I also do not know about IMAP so will look at that.

LL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think you have much to worry about, as you have transferred the emails to Gmail, they are now on the Gmail server, which is what you want. If you want some extra assurance and if the emails are important you will do, you should now download them to a desktop client like Outlook or Thunderbird. That way the Gmail server becomes your back up and with over 10Gb available you have space for a great many emails. Just make sure that the Gmail is set up to 'Keep a copy in the Inbox'.
      Thanks again TomD.

Unfortunately all emails did not transfer, that's my problem and how the mail fetcher decided what to import is odd there was no reason to it. It took emails completely from some folders, in others it just took some and not in date order or anything like that.

I have made progress by using colours against the folders and checking boxes I have worked out on all but about ten folders (the ones that hold the most emails) and I should be able to move them easily.

OK, so a question, if I use the import again will the rest move ie the few new ones in the inbox and the thousand or so in sub folders or would you move a folder at a time into the empty inbox and if so is it then possible to have an action that will only import the Sky inbox to Gmail not the sub folders?

Thanks for sticking with me on this; I have appreciated all the help I have received.

LL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123