Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Zimbra anyone?

This is a discussion on Zimbra anyone? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Has anyone got any experience of setting up Zimbra to work with sky email? I'm trying to install the free ...

bobbycow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01933
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Zimbra anyone?

Has anyone got any experience of setting up Zimbra to work with sky email?
      I'm trying to install the free desktop version but I can't find any info anywhere on how to set it up, which ports to use etc
      Any advice much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Zimbra anyone?

You can probably Set it up as an Imap account, although personally I wouldn't bother seeing as zimbra desktop is going to be discontinued when version 9.0 of the zimbra collaboration suite comes out.

It's only really worthwhile using if you're connecting it to a backend zimbra server otherwise something like thunderbird is probably more useful

It's already a version behind Zimbra's server products as they're on ZCS 8.0 but the Desktop product it based on the ZCS 7.0 UI, it also uses the discontinued mozilla prism engine. It's quite annoying as it's missing a lot of the enhancements they made to the UI in version 8.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

bobbycow (21-02-13)

Thanks

Hi,
      thanks for the reply
      In the meantime I have managed to get it up and running by trial and error. It takes POP and SMTP on ports 993 and 465 no problem.
      Bit of a downer to hear after all that that it's not going to last very long but thanks for the info.But isn't Thunderbird a bit of a dead duck too if Mozilla are not continuing to develop it?
      Thanks for your help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbycow View Post
      Hi,
      thanks for the reply
      In the meantime I have managed to get it up and running by trial and error. It takes POP and SMTP on ports 993 and 465 no problem.
      Bit of a downer to hear after all that that it's not going to last very long but thanks for the info.But isn't Thunderbird a bit of a dead duck too if Mozilla are not continuing to develop it?
      Thanks for your help.
      Wow, completely missed that announcement

Trying to think of a decent email client you could use instead, but the only one I really like these days other than zimbra is outlook 2010/2013 but that costs a fair bit.

Used to use outlook with a hosted exchange provider but moved to zimbra, I use Zimbra desktop on one machine but tend to just use the Web interface on everything else.

I think yahoos webmail is based on an older version of the zimbra interface

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

bobbycow (23-02-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think it was annnounced back in July last year when Tbird was at version 13, it is now up to 17.03. I don't think it is being dropped, just further enhancements are being left to the Comunity. Mozilla will still issue security and stability updates. I suppose it depends on what you want, if you are happy with it now, then there is nothing much to worry about.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

bobbycow (23-02-13)

Thanks

You mean it will just continue indefinitely in its present form? I could live with that I suppose.
      I just found Zimbra pretty neat and got that all set up but if TB is going to be around a while might change over
      to that. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post

Trying to think of a decent email client you could use instead, but the only one I really like these days other than zimbra is outlook 2010/2013 but that costs a fair bit.

Used to use outlook with a hosted exchange provider but moved to zimbra, I use Zimbra desktop on one machine but tend to just use the Web interface on everything else.

I think yahoos webmail is based on an older version of the zimbra interface
      Yes, I've been using MS Office all along but getting too expensive. Have swapped to Kingsoft which is really cool, but couldn't find anything except Zimbra that was anything like as good as Outlook - but we now need to run it on several machines so the cost is a bit prohibitive. Guess it's gonna be TB.
      Thanks for your help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Not sure what's happening, I know they've discontinued Zimbra Desktop due to the engine it's based on being discontinued and it's architecture being somewhat outdated.

They're planning a new way of doing offline support in Zimbra 9.0 but as of yet I don't know what it involves.

I run the opensource edition of the zimbra server, I then use z-push to enable activesync functionality since it's not economical to pay for the Network edition licenses for the number of mailboxes I use it with. (There's a minimum commit for the paid edition)

The server can pull in external email via pop/imap although I've never really used that feature much other than briefly to see if it worked.

Personally I've given up on ISP email addresses a long time ago, I use Gmail in some places (Like when signing up to some forums) but otherwise I just use my own domain.

Domain registrations somewhere in the region of 3 - 10 per year (Depending on what you want) to maintain, the nice thing being is you can pick and choose who you want to host the actual email then.

If buying a domain I'd recommend buying it separately from any Web/Email hosting package as then if you don't like the Provider hosting your website/email switching is a case of backing up your data and then pointing the domain at the new provider.

Thanks

Not sure what's happening, I know they've discontinued Zimbra Desktop due to the engine it's based on being discontinued and it's architecture being somewhat outdated.

They're planning a new way of doing offline support in Zimbra 9.0 but as of yet I don't know what it involves.

I run the opensource edition of the zimbra server, I then use z-push to enable activesync functionality since it's not economical to pay for the Network edition licenses for the number of mailboxes I use it with. (There's a minimum commit for the paid edition)

The server can pull in external email via pop/imap although I've never really used that feature much other than briefly to see if it worked.

Personally I've given up on ISP email addresses a long time ago, I use Gmail in some places (Like when signing up to some forums) but otherwise I just use my own domain.

Domain registrations somewhere in the region of 3 - 10 per year (Depending on what you want) to maintain, the nice thing being is you can pick and choose who you want to host the actual email then.

If buying a domain I'd recommend buying it separately from any Web/Email hosting package as then if you don't like the Provider hosting your website/email switching is a case of backing up your data and then pointing the domain at the new provider.
      Thanks for all the info. I have decided to use T-bird as I am familiar with that and it is predictable. I like the idea of setting up a domain as you suggest and having control over one's own IP and email etc and thanks for your suggestions - but I wouldn't know where to start with setting up the domain or where to start with getting an email provider outside of the usual suspects. I don't even know if they would take me on as I live out inthe sticks and get lousy transfer rates from Sky.
      Thanks for all your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the info. I have decided to use T-bird as I am familiar with that and it is predictable. I like the idea of setting up a domain as you suggest and having control over one's own IP and email etc and thanks for your suggestions - but I wouldn't know where to start with setting up the domain or where to start with getting an email provider outside of the usual suspects. I don't even know if they would take me on as I live out inthe sticks and get lousy transfer rates from Sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobbycow View Post

If you were planning on running a website or even just email I'd pay someone to host it for you, then it will be on a proper connection in a datacentre with redundant power.etc

Namecheap are usually pretty good for domains, but there are also lots of alternatives out there.

Cheap Domain Names Registration, Domain Transfer, SSL Certificates, Free DNS, Privacy Protection • Namecheap.com

They do offer email/webhosting but I don't use it so I don't know how reliable it is.

Google used to offer Google apps for your domain for free but I can't seem to find it, only paid options now.

Microsoft look like they still do offer a similar service

How to Setup a Professional Branded Email Address with Outlook.com

Personally I'd rather use a paid service as providing you have a decent provider you then have some support if something doesn't work as expected.