Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Yahoo email IMAP fiasco!!!

This is a discussion on Sky Yahoo email IMAP fiasco!!! within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky be prepared to loose many customers!!!!!! this mis-information is so unblelviable it's unreal for a company like to Sky ...

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky Yahoo email IMAP fiasco!!!

Sky be prepared to loose many customers!!!!!! this mis-information is so unblelviable it's unreal for a company like to Sky to make this change without clear precise information on the change over.
      If your not sure what I'm talking about it's the loss or possible loss of IMAP email, this service will leave mail on the server when you download it, so if you have mutiple computers or devices smartphone /tablet you want all the email to be the same not bits a peices spread across all of them! Currently if you set up a POP3 Sky email incorrectly this is EXACTLY what will happen!
      I initially thought Sky using Yahoo would be fine , I remember reading a while ago how Yahoo got a new CEO recently and all of their services have been redesigned to be as good if not better than Google's. Plus I have a personal dislike of how Google track everything we do in life and seem to be on a take over the world mission!
      But now I have this email I see Sky haven't thought about this very well as there seems little or no information for IMAP users, it just says you can use IMAP on a mobile device and your home computer has to use POP3! What the hell, POP3 is so old now who uses it? I have multiple computers and devices I need my email to be the same on all of them, I also have several Sky email addresses. It would be a disaster if I was to go back to the old POP3 email and having 1 computer downloading all my mail. I tried looking through Yahoo's help pages but I cannot see anything on configuring IMAP apart from a mobile device. I just cannot believe something this big is being overlooked or not reported on!!!
      Sky really need to get proper information together for users with IMAP, I bet they are going to be bombarded with people who suddenly find their email on just one device! Seeing as this Christmas over 73 million tablets were given as gifts IMAP is the future , POP is so old, can we get some kind of petition going?

The advantages of IMAP is that it is more feature-rich and allows you to read your e-mail from any location and any device with IMAP support.
      Some specific advantages of IMAP over POP include:
      Robust folders for storing received and sent messages
      Freedom for user to download attachments at will
      Provision for determining message structure without downloading entire message.
      Selective fetching of individual MIME body parts.
      Server-based searching and selection to minimize data transfer.
      Ability to append messages to a remote folder.
      Ability to set standard and user-defined message status flags.
      Support for simultaneous update and update discovery in shared folders.
      New mail notification.
      Ability to manipulate remote folders other than INBOX.
      Remote folder management (list/create/delete/rename).
      Support for folder hierarchies.
      Suitable for accessing non-email data; e.g., NetNews, documents.
      In IMAP, when a client program performs any operation on a mailbox, the server will automatically include in its response notification of any new messages that have arrived since the last notification.
      IMAP's ability to manipulate remote folders other than INBOX is fundamental to online and disconnected operation. This means being able to save messages from one folder to a different one, being able to access archived messages subsequently, and allowing for multiple incoming message folders.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Yahoo email IMAP fiasco!!!

From what I have read IMAP will work with desktop clients, it is just not supported by Yahoo. It works seamlessly with the Mac Email client, maybe they are just anti MS.

As for getting a petition going, I don't think you will have much luck. Millions of Yahoo users at present are subject to the same conditions, they have been able to do nothing about it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

sdd
      sdd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

To be Honest i don't use the sky email address because they changed it twice since i have been with them
      I already have a Gmail account which i have had since the beginning when Google started the email so i just keep to that
      i have a couple of other email addresses but Gmail is my main one which i use though my phone as well

Don't really know why they have to keep changing network servers unless its to give yahoo some money because it ain't as popular as it was

Nobody is Perfect.....I am Nobody....Therefore I am Perfect

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
      Sky be prepared to loose many customers!!!!!!
      Why would Sky loose customers when everyone can use whatever email service they want. Nobody is forced to use Sky for their emails as there are plenty of free alternatives ones out there like Outlook.com, Gmail etc. Just use one of these instead.

Why people would go through the hassle of cancelling their Sky services over something like an email issue is beyond me.

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      Why people would go through the hassle of cancelling their Sky services over something like an email issue is beyond me.
      They'll be hoping to use it as a bargaining tool to get a freebie. I learnt many years ago to keep my email independent of my ISP. Makes life so much easier.
      jrfer likes this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to reddwarfcrew For This Useful Post:

boomish (03-01-13)

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      Why would Sky loose customers when everyone can use whatever email service they want. Nobody is forced to use Sky for their emails as there are plenty of free alternatives ones out there like Outlook.com, Gmail etc. Just use one of these instead.

hmm maybe you don't email very much but I can assure you I've already read of someone very upset that all their email is now on their phone and not on their computer, most people won't understand IMAP and Pop they just want email that works. We are talking load of existing customers that have emails all setup, probably ones they have spent some time configuring now they have to do it again only to find if they have more than one device their email will be scattered around like a spray gun, never knowing where their emails are for bills, work, family etc..it will drive people mad..hence they will lose customers.
      There are plenty of other email clients out there but why should you change? when everything is working fine, people don't have time to sort this out.I still can't believe Sky are doing this, to me it's such a stupid move it's unreal. The real killer is the information is very unclear so people won't know until it's too late! You can't treat customers like that..

Tonyo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01983
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I use IMAP so my mail is available on my PC, laptop, Nexus tablet and on webmail if I use any other device. I also use Sky mail to pick up mail from my other email addresses so I didn't have to keep telling people when I changed my email address. As Yahoo mail doesn't offer either of these facilities, it's a bit na´ve of Sky to apparently assume everything will be hunky-dory in April provided everyone signs on the dotted line. I won't move to Gmail or another that supports IMAP and picking up email from other accounts quite yet as this is a bit of a hassle; I'll wait to see if Sky see the errors of their ways!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonyo For This Useful Post:

boomish (03-01-13)

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'll wait to see if Sky see the errors of their ways!
      I get the feeling you will be waiting a long time.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Obeone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Broadband Fibre 2
      Router: BT Smarthub 1
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I have spent the last few nights using mail fetcher and moving all my Sky email accounts over to proper gmail accounts. I don't intend to get caught out like this again so will not use any ISPs mail offering in the future. Hopefully it's only a job I will have to do the once. I've been amazed at just how many people/companies you provide your email address to over a period of time.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

How would I export my 600+ emails from my All Mail folder on Sky, to my Gmail account ??

Been trying all day with no success.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast