Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky Yahoo! Mail FAQ

This is a discussion on Sky Yahoo! Mail FAQ within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; LAST UPDATED: 28/11/12 and is work in progress. What is Sky Yahoo! Email? Sky Yahoo! Mail is the new Email ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sky Yahoo! Mail FAQ

LAST UPDATED: 28/11/12 and is work in progress.

What is Sky Yahoo! Email?

Sky Yahoo! Mail is the new Email offering from Sky to their customers, which goes live in April 2013 more information is in this thread, http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-e...ahoo-mail.html

What changes will I see with the new service?

If you use webmail (access your email through a web browser), you’ll notice that the new service will look a little different and that some functions will have changed. The new service also has some handy features such as a tabbed view, so you can have multiple emails open at the same time and easily switch between them. Also, with unlimited storage, there won’t be any restriction on how many emails you can store.

How much storage do I get?

According to the official web page, it is now unlimited, instead of 10GB

What if I don't want to move?

You won’t be able to access your current Sky Email after the switch so we recommend that you save all your emails, before April 2013.

What happens to those of us on the Google offering?

We are still waiting to find out and will update this thread as and when we find out.

What happens to my existing @sky.com email address if I ever leave Sky?

Currently, if you have a Sky email address, it is supposedly for life, even if you leave. We are unsure if this is still the case, once the change has taken place. But, rest assured, we are trying to find out and we will update this FAQ once we find out.

Can I use IMAP with Sky Yahoo! Email?

Yahoo mail does not offer iMAP for desktop apps Yahoo! Mail Review - Free Email Service - About Email but does for mobile Yahoo! Mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (We are still trying to clarify this)

Will my email address, username and password stay the same?

Yes, these details will not change and you’ll still be able to sign in with your current username and password.

Why do you want my date of birth and/or postcode?

This is in accordance with the requirements of Yahoo’s email service which can use your location and date of birth to display appropriate advertising around your mailbox in webmail. This is similar to most other email providers and we’ve included a section telling you everything you need to know about this in the new Terms & Conditions.

At Sky, we take the protection and use of customer information very seriously. Any automatic filtering of emails to help deliver advertising will be done wholly in line with the strictest privacy standards, and customers will have the option to disable the targeting of advertisements at any time.

If I don’t accept the Terms & Conditions, can I save the emails in my mailbox?

You’ll be able to use the existing Sky Email service as usual until April 2013. After the switchover, you’ll then have a further 30 days as a final opportunity to accept the new Terms & Conditions, so you can regain access to your inbox through the new Sky Yahoo! Mail. If you haven’t accepted the Terms & Conditions after these 30 days you will not be able to access your inbox.

If you decide you don’t want to move to Sky Yahoo! Mail, you can prepare for the switchover by saving your inbox. To save your inbox, you can set up an email application to connect to your mailbox and save your emails onto your computer using POP or IMAP. We can show you how to do this on our POP Email Help page. Your Sky iD or other Sky services will not be affected.

Sky's help article Importing and exporting contacts with Sky Email explains all you need to know about downloading your contacts so they're ready to use with another email account.

Will my mailbox, contacts and calendar be copied across?

Yes. If you agree to the new Terms & Conditions, Sky will copy across your emails automatically at the switchover date, as well as your contacts and calendar. On the day that Sky switch to the new service, you might notice that some of your very recent emails take up to 24 hours to appear.

If you have any existing emails that you’ll need on the switch day, Sky recommend that you forward these to another email address or print them off. This is just to avoid any wait while your mailbox is copied over.

Will I still be able to chat with my current contacts?

Your current Chat feature is supported by Google’s technology, so when we make the change you‘ll no longer be able to chat to any of your contacts who use Gmail. However, Sky Yahoo! Mail offers a similar Chat feature and you’ll be able to chat to any of your contacts who also use Sky Yahoo! Mail.

Will Sky Yahoo! Mail be safe and secure?

Absolutely. You’ll continue to use the same username and password that you have set up for the current Sky Email service. If you’re signing in through Sky.com, you’ll still be able to access your mailbox through Sky iD. Your inbox will also be guarded with the latest spam protection so you’ll only see the emails that you want to see.

Will I need to change my POP or IMAP settings?

If you use POP to connect to your email, you won’t need to change a thing.

If you connect to your email using IMAP on a desktop email application e.g. Outlook, you will need to update your settings. This is because Yahoo! doesn’t support IMAP on desktop applications.

If you are using a desktop or laptop computer to access your email, and don’t make these changes, you won’t be able to sync or download your mailbox from the day we switch to Sky Yahoo! Mail.

Don’t worry though, you check your Account Settings to find out whether your email is set up through IMAP, and the change is simple. You just need to set up Sky Email on your desktop email application using POP settings. Alternatively, you can connect to your email using IMAP on a mobile smartphone, or you can access your emails through webmail.

To switch your settings to POP:

1. Create a new Sky Email account using POP in your desktop application. See our POP email support page for help with this.
      2. Once you’re happy that your POP account is working and all your Sky Email mails have been downloaded successfully, you can delete your IMAP account.

If you’re connecting to Sky Email using POP or with IMAP on your phone, you do not need to change any settings.

Where is there some more official information about Sky Yahoo! Mail?

We copied some of the above from the official web page, Get ready for the changes to your Sky Email
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-11-12 at 04:26 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

Isitme (28-11-12),phil123 (27-02-13),seawright (29-11-12)

3. Advertisement
      James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Thanks

Re: Sky Yahoo! Mail FAQ

So no IMAP, no Exchange push and no real mobile device support. WTF Sky, talk about taking 50 steps backwards #Skyfail

DJS
      DJS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Arrowebrook
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Do we know why Sky are moving their email service to Yahoo? I have no had no issue with the service provided by Google.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
      Do we know why Sky are moving their email service to Yahoo? I have no had no issue with the service provided by Google.
      The cynic in me would say, one reason only, cost.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Sod this, I'll just forward everything to my gmail account.

That will work I assume ???

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Thanks
      Blog Entries

That will work I assume ???
      You mean foward your @sky.com email address elsewhere?

Absolutely no idea, the FAQ states

You’ll be able to use the existing Sky Email service as usual until April 2013. After the switchover, you’ll then have a further 30 days as a final opportunity to accept the new Terms & Conditions, so you can regain access to your inbox through the new Sky Yahoo! Mail. If you haven’t accepted the Terms & Conditions after these 30 days you will not be able to access your inbox.
      Which on face value means to me, tough if you want an @sky.com email address without agreeing to the T and C's of Sky Yahoo! Mail.

fluke is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sydenham
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I meant agrees to T&C's and just use it as a forwarding service to my gmail, at least I will still have push via Exchange.

==========
      Regards
      Dave

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
      I meant agrees to T&C's and just use it as a forwarding service to my gmail, at least I will still have push via Exchange.
      I would assume those that agree will agree to the T&C's should be fine. We are trying to get confirmation of the outstanding questions etc so we will update this thread as and when we get the answers.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I asked the following on Twitter.

When the new Sky Yahoo! Mail is launched, if people do not agree to t+cs do they lose their @sky.com email address do u know?
      And

and if not can they forward their sky.com email elsewhere or is it gone forever? Thanks.
      This is the reply

Hi SkyUser, If you have not accepted the T&Cs when Sky Yahoo! Mail launches, you will not lose your sky.com address. This is because your Sky iD is not affected at all as part of this change and your Sky iD is the first part of your @sky.com email address. If you have not accepted the T&Cs at launch, you will still have the opportunity to accept them and retain access to your mailbox for a further 30 days. Until this time it will be possible for you to forward your sky.com emails elsewhere. After this time however, you will no longer be able to access your mailbox.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I then asked this,

Actually, after the 30 days, can you still forward from your sky email? Not too clear if that is what you meant or not.
      And then got this reply,

Sorry for the late reply. After the 30 days, the current Sky Email will be deactivated and customers that haven’t chosen to move with us to the new Sky Yahoo! Mail service will no longer be able to access or auto-forward their past emails. Robert

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 13-04-13, 09:23 AM