Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail

This is a discussion on Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Anyone else received an email advising that the email is changing from Google to Yahoo? The biggest downer, if I ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail

Anyone else received an email advising that the email is changing from Google to Yahoo? The biggest downer, if I am reading it right, is that IMAP will no longer be available. This is going to annoy a great many users, especially as smart phones are now the norm.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail-email1.jpg   Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail-email2.jpg  
      NewsreadeR likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

re: Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail

I am putting some questions together regarding this.

There is a lot of possible benefits as well as potential drawbacks to this service change.

Simple things from Android Account links to access to Yahoo! services, as well as new server addresses and port number configurations will mess up a lot of people initially.

I will post what I can when I have some answers.
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail

Thanks to both of you.

We did know about it, but was under the impression it was Top Secret stuff, obviously not.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

The biggest downer as far as I'd be concerned is no longer having a Google powered email system, as in my opinion, it's by far the best interface, even including Outlook & Microsoft Exchange! It's worth mentioning that if people care more about keeping the gmail interface and features than they do about keeping the @sky.com email address, then it's quite trivial to set up a new gmail account, and migrate all email from the @sky.com account to the new @gmail account, all from within the settings of the gmail interface, no third party software required.

- Personally, I've never understood why anybody would want an email account from their home broadband provider, If you want to change ISPs (and I typically switch for better deals every couple of years), you need to update your email address with all your contacts and web sites you've registered on. It's so cheap and easy to register a domain of your own and link it to a web mail service such as gmail, that it's a no-brainer for me.
      NewsreadeR and RJM like this.

Thanks

There are many reasons for having an email service from a particular provider.

Personally I have several different accounts with different providers which I manage through an email client.

No one service is perfect. POP allows me to apply message rules and file messages automatically in specific folders. IMAP and Hotmail allow me to access all the messages across different platforms or on more than one computer. My gmail account is linked to my phone and links in with a variety of Android features. I can also see my Google calendar on my TV and it is linked with my hotmail account too.

This change will have a huge impact on Sky's customer base and thee are many unanswered questions at this time.

There are some benefits to this transition. Hopefully by feeding back a variety of questions we can get the best of both worlds.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

I am sure that a lot of people will have questions regarding this change. If people want to post their questions in this thread, I can't promise to answer them all straight away, but I can collect them and get someone to answer them for you.

Ged's asked me to put an FAQ together so I could use these questions as a starting point.

April 2013 is only a few months away, but Christmas 2012 is sooner.

KesUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi - I read the iMAP issue as being only for desktop applications such as Outlook.

Doesn't mention anything about not using iMAP for mobile apps. Yahoo mail does not offer iMAP for desktop apps Yahoo! Mail Review - Free Email Service - About Email but does for mobile Yahoo! Mail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      NewsreadeR likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KesUK For This Useful Post:

NewsreadeR (28-11-12)

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There are many reasons for having an email service from a particular provider.

Personally I have several different accounts with different providers which I manage through an email client.

No one service is perfect. POP allows me to apply message rules and file messages automatically in specific folders. IMAP and Hotmail allow me to access all the messages across different platforms or on more than one computer. My gmail account is linked to my phone and links in with a variety of Android features. I can also see my Google calendar on my TV and it is linked with my hotmail account too.

This change will have a huge impact on Sky's customer base and thee are many unanswered questions at this time.

There are some benefits to this transition. Hopefully by feeding back a variety of questions we can get the best of both worlds.
      I guess it comes down to how each of us personally use the services on offer. What works for one person might not work for another I suppose. For me, all my personal email from various email addresses, is accessible via my google apps account that I've got linked to my own .co.uk domain. I have access to this from any internet connected computer, my phone, tablet, etc.

Thanks

I absolutely agree with you.

There will be many out there who have had their computers set up by someone and will be stuck for a few days whilst they get it fixed. It will then take them much longer whilst they get used to the new service.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There will be many out there who have had their computers set up by someone and will be stuck for a few days whilst they get it fixed. It will then take them much longer whilst they get used to the new service.
      Pretty sure we can manage a few dozen tutorials to show people how to change etc, once one of us finally gets access to it etc
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 26-02-13, 11:20 AM