Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail

This is a discussion on Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by seawright You misunderstand me. Sky say that the changeover will be transparent for customers that have accepted ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky Email Changing from Google to Sky Yahoo! Mail

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You misunderstand me. Sky say that the changeover will be transparent for customers that have accepted the new T&Cs provided that they don't use IMAP for desktop PCs. That is probably true but will only apply where Sky recommended mail servers have been used for SMTP & POP settings.
      That's what I said in post #26

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That's what I said in post #26
      Really!
      Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Mine too, and it has worked flawlessly for years. Looking through my Junk folders, the majority of senders are using @yahoo.xx addresses. Which does not say much for their filtering system. In the words of our Bard 'And forward, though I cannot see, I guess and fear'.
      I don't see the connection, but my original post was addressing JPL's concerns.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Really!
      JPL wrote
      I would surely have to change my SMTP & POP settings, as the mail servers are set to smtp.gmail.com & pop.gmail.com.
      I replied
      Mine too,

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I realise that there may be many reasons for using aliases for mail server settings and that historically Sky's DNS server may not have been the most reliable server on the internet however when Sky embarks on a plan to change the provider they use to administer their customer's email accounts they cannot be held responsible for the inconvenience caused to customer's who use none standard settings. I would hope that the majority of these customers have sufficient network knowledge to resolve any issues themselves. The problem occurs for a minority who have copied settings from a forum or other unofficial source without understanding the rationale involved.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I would hope that the majority of these customers have sufficient network knowledge to resolve any issues themselves.
      Historically, there was one hell of a lot of confusion when Sky changed from the original email to Google (Skoogle as we renamed it at the time) Mail.

This is 5 months away yet, so there is plenty of time hopefully for us to produce / find all the information, that would go to help people. Sky will obviously work in the background as well so as to minimise the pain for everyone, time will tell, if that happens though.

The last time it happened it crashed our servers, pmsl
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

seawright (01-12-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      This is 5 months away yet, so there is plenty of time hopefully for us to produce / find all the information, that would go to help people. Sky will obviously work in the background as well so as to minimise the pain for everyone, time will tell, if that happens though.
      Hi NewsreadeR,
      Thank you for the voice of reason.

I was begining to feel like a dog chasing his own tail.

I like your seasonal avatar.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I like your seasonal avatar.
      She's one woman I like all year around lol not just at Christmas.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

No one service is perfect. POP allows me to apply message rules and file messages automatically in specific folders. IMAP and Hotmail allow me to access all the messages across different platforms or on more than one computer. My gmail account is linked to my phone and links in with a variety of Android features. I can also see my Google calendar on my TV and it is linked with my hotmail account too.

This change will have a huge impact on Sky's customer base and thee are many unanswered questions at this time.

There are some benefits to this transition. Hopefully by feeding back a variety of questions we can get the best of both worlds.
      Closest i've gotten so far is Exchange (or one of the similar services, e.g Zimbra, Kerio.etc) since they are able to sync Calender and Contacts as well as mail across multiple devices.

Most smartphones support Microsoft Activesync protocol these-days

I wish someone would make a decent replacement for outlook but as of yet I've not been able to find one.
      There are some pretty decent email clients out there such as Thunderbird but they tend to fall down when it comes to calender sync support.

Then again I don't mind paying for my email hosting, most people probably expect it to come free with their broadband.etc.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      I wish someone would make a decent replacement for outlook but as of yet I've not been able to find one.There are some pretty decent email clients out there such as Thunderbird but they tend to fall down when it comes to calender sync support.
      Not sure how mature it is but have you tried the Lightning AddOn for Thunderbird? This is what the developers have to say about it:

Lightning was created to provide users of Mozilla Thunderbird with a tightly integrated calendaring and task management tool that could one day compete and outshine Microsoft Outlook. We're not there yet, but since its creation in 2005 Lightning has made tremendous progress and is by far the most popular add-on for Mozilla Thunderbird today.
      I like Lotus Notes but to get the full benefit it needs to be used in conjunction with a Domino Server.

Obeone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Broadband Fibre 2
      Router: BT Smarthub 1
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

I did say many years ago when I moved from BT Yahoo Mail to Skoogle that I wouldn't rely on an ISP's mail offering again. I should have listened to myself. I will move my account over to Google proper now, forward my Sky account for any mopping up and be done with ISP's email once and for all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

LinkBacks (?)

1. 26-02-13, 11:20 AM