Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree3Likes
    • 1 Post By dms05
    • 2 Post By Sky eService Team

Serious Email security issue!!

This is a discussion on Serious Email security issue!! within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Subsequent to a recent response from Sky I feel compelled to start a new thread on what is a serious ...

yakker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Serious Email security issue!!

Subsequent to a recent response from Sky I feel compelled to start a new thread on what is a serious breach of email security!
      On 16th October I logged in using my usual username and password to check my mail and after a few minutes realised I was looking at another person's emails!!!I took a screen dump of this person's mails, logged off and after logging back in later that day had access to my emails.
      The next day I received an email from another user saying that THEY HAD BEEN ABLE TO ACCESS MY EMAILS!!
      Since thenI have contacted Sky with 2 written complaints(one was ignored!) and rang Sky to express my conerns, particularly as before I realised these emails weren't mine I found myself wondering why I was looking at a password reset for access to financial details, why a Council wanted to pay me 10,000 in 'full and final settlement' etc etc.
      As you can see VERY confidential information !(I have also contacted this user to appraise her of this security breach).
      Today I received a response(grammatically very badly worded!) from Sky which completely ignores the fact that I, and at least one other user were able to read, and potentially misuse, a stranger's emails.
      Furthermore, this response suggests that what I had actually done was log onto one of my other email addresses which I have for family members SILLY ME!!!!! and that if I change my password all would be right with the world!!!!(excuse the sarcasm).
      I am not stupid and in one of my written complaints I had attached a copy of the screen dump clearly showing this stranger's email address.
      If Sky feel that their 'standard' response will suffice they are mistaken as I will not let up on this breach of security!!
      Has anyone else had the same security issues.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Serious Email security issue!!

There have been a couple of reported cases so far.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...sky-email.html
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I know Sky are fully aware of the issuses, that is why they have pulled the Sky email login so far and redirecting people to Google Mail. However I have forwarded this thread onto Sky as to make them even more aware of the highlighted issues.

Thank you for being civil and responsible for the errors that you have highlighted.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      However I have forwarded this thread onto Sky as to make them even more aware of the highlighted issues.
      Sky have acknowledged receipt of my email alerting them. Hopefully this will get sorted asap

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I really think this should be flagged up to Information Commissoner's Office Data Protection and Freedom of Information advice - ICO

The Information Commissioner’s Office is the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals.
      Scubbie likes this.

Sky eService Team is offline Sky Team
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Corporate
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Hi yakker,

Last Tuesday evening we experienced a technical issue which lasted for 20 minutes during which a small number of customers reported being able to see other customer's emails.

We immediately suspended our email service while we investigated the problem.

A fix was implemented on Wednesday morning and the service was reactivated only when it was fully secure.

The issue related to the Sky email log-in. As a result, we have redirected customers to a Google branded log-in page while we put in place a long-term solution.

Please be reassured that we take our data protection responsibilities extremely seriously and have attempted to contact all the customers who might have been impacted to apologise and to outline our response.

It would be really useful if we could talk to you directly and we can make sure that we do everything we need to for you and the other customer affected, so please can you private message us and let us know an appropriate contact number.

Thank you
      NewsreadeR and Scubbie like this.
      Sky eService Team

Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help
      My Sky and Sky iD https://mysky.sky.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sky eService Team For This Useful Post:

NewsreadeR (25-10-12),Scubbie (25-10-12)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

@Sky eService Team

I have emailed the member directly for you, hopefully they will respond via PM asap