Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky spoofing my domain name?

This is a discussion on Sky spoofing my domain name? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there. I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been asked, but I searched and couldn't find ...

Ffish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealing
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky spoofing my domain name?

Hi there.

I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been asked, but I searched and couldn't find the topic.

I have Outlook 2010, into which I've configured my Sky account settings, and all works fine. However, I want to be able to use my own domain name in the Outlook settings, but Sky (apparently) won't allow it. Here's the scenario:

I send an email from Outlook, which connects to my Sky account, and sends fine. But I want it to appear at the recipient's end for the return address as "myname@mydomain.co.uk". Instead, it arrives at the other end as if from "myskyaccount@sky.com". When I get sent an email addressed to "myname@mydomain.co.uk" it arrives without problem, but when I hit reply it appears to come from "myskyaccount@sky.com".

It's a particular pain when I'm replying to e-commerce sites, as they're expecting a reply from "mydomain" but "sky.com" just over-writes the sending address.

It's not the end of the world, and I've worked around it for over a year, but I've scoured all the settings in Outlook, but cannot find the solution.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Sky spoofing my domain name?

Quote Originally Posted by Ffish View Post
      ...Any ideas?
      Certainly, you could apply to Glenn for a SkyUser SMTP Account.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/skyus...p-account.html

There are terms and conditions, so please DO read them all. You will find the relevant threads listed in the section of the forum listed below:

SkyUser Mail / SMTP

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

That's the way email works! If you are using Sky's SMTP server (which it sounds like you are), then you are forced to use the email address they have registered for you.

If sky allowed email to be sent with any sender address, that is what is called an open relay, and people would be able to use Sky's SMTP servers for sending spam. Sky's servers would then get blacklisted, and most other SMTP servers would reject email coming from Sky's server.

If you want to send email from your own domain, you should look at Google apps for business, which allows you to use gmail personalised to your own domain. It works very well, and they have a free plan which allows 10 user accounts. Even if you don't like the gmail interface (which in my opinion is far better than Outlook), you can still use Outlook if you want to.

dog-man is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: About 130 mtrs from the cabinet.
      Broadband ISP: Virgin. Over 500mb.
      Router: Asus 3200
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I have owned my own domain and been with sky for many years now.

I use my own domain as part of my email address. I do not use the sky email address.

dog-man