Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Outlook and ipad

This is a discussion on Outlook and ipad within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Just got an ipad and happily set it up to be able to view with Sky email account on ...

richdennis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Outlook and ipad

Hi

Just got an ipad and happily set it up to be able to view with Sky email account on it. However, when I delete an email on my ipad it still appears in Outlook if I subsequently open Outlook on my PC.

Strangely, if works fine the other way around, i.e. if i delete an email from Outlook it won't subsequently appear on my ipad.

Anyone had a similar issue or know how I can sort it so that, when I delete an email from either source, it stays deleted.

Been playing around with my Sky settings but suspect I need to do something with the Outlook?

Many thanks

2. Advertisement
      Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Have you checked your iPad email settings, if you have it set to 'leave a copy on the server' this might explain why this is happening.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Outlook and ipad

Hi Alan

I've gone all the way through the email settings on the ipad and can see no option re the "leave a copy on server" or not as the case may be. Any ideas why this is ?

I wondered if the problem was that Outlook is POP3 and isn't the ipad IMAP?

mcphailan. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: South Harrow
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

dunno if this is any help, looks potentially useful (from Leave e-mail messages on your e-mail server - Outlook - Office.com) :-

IMAP e-mail accounts

When you access an IMAP e-mail account, your messages are copied locally. However, the messages also remain on the e-mail server until you mark them for deletion and use the Purge Deleted Items command. For more information on deleting IMAP messages, see the See Also section in this article.

When you mark an item on an IMAP e-mail server for deletion, it is displayed in strikethrough text in the header list. To permanently delete the items marked for deletion, do the following:

On the Edit menu, click Purge Deleted Messages.

Note If you do not purge deleted items periodically, you might reach and exceed the allotted disk space on your e-mail server. If you exceed your allotted disk space, you might not receive any new messages or you might incur additional charges from your Internet service provider (ISP).

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      The copies on each device are local to them. If you want to delete them on both when deleting on one then you need to use imap settings on both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks guys, will look at both. Pretty sure the iPad is set up as imap already, any idea how I change outlook to imap?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If Outlook is deleting the messages then it is possibly set up for POP. If you set Outlook up for IMAP, the messages will appear on both devices, which does not appear to be what you want. I don't have one, but the mail app in the iPad seems to be set up for a form of IMAP. I don't know if it is possible to set it to POP, but this is what Apple says-

By default, the Mail app on iPad will never delete messages from the server. This setting is appropriate for most users, but can be changed when necessary. For example, detailed instructions for setting Mail to remove messages on the server after one week are provided below.

1. In Settings, select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
      2. Select the account for which you wish to change the settings.
      3. Select Advanced, located at the bottom of the list.
      4. Select the Delete from server option.
      5. Choose Seven days from the pop-up menu.
      6. Press the Home button to return to the Home screen.
      This is the instructions for setting up IMAP. You will also have to choose this option on the Skymail webpage,
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286197

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

You will need to delete your old account and start a new one within Outlook. During the entry of the details of the new account chose the manual settings and then when asked use the drop down menu to change from POP3 to IMAP.