Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

A virus or not?

This is a discussion on A virus or not? within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; A couple of days ago I noticed in my my "sent mail" under "gmail" in one of me email addresses ...

steveob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01932
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

A virus or not?

A couple of days ago I noticed in my my "sent mail" under "gmail" in one of me email addresses that there were numerous emails going back as far as October which I had definitely not sent. They were all spam or junk mail which I had thought I had deleted. All were related to meds, mainly Pfizer, or "Administrator", usually Russian!! They don't appear in my normal "sent mail " IMAP folder and I don't normally look at the gmail sent items folder which is why I hadn't noticed it before.

I have paid for Avira security suite and Avira has not flagged up any problems. Has anybody had a similar problem? Should I be worried that this is a virus or worm?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: A virus or not?

Well done for spotting it. The cause could come from a huge variety of sources. From a simple key logger that has captured your password (allowing someone to hack your email account) to virus or malware.

Rather than go into a list of my favourite software, I'd recommend that you pick up a copy of a PC magazine from WH Smiths or somewhere like that. Run as many good AV & Malware programs as you can until you get a positive result that can identify the cause.

Do change your passwords, but make sure that you haven't got a key logger on the PC first.

Many nasties will prevent you from browsing to known websites that allow you to download the necessary software from the Internet, hence my reason for picking up the magazine.

Once you have cleaned your PC, run Windows Update (assuming that you have windows) and install all the updates for your PC. Don't just take the recommended ones, but also the optional/custom ones.

Sorry this could take a few days to resolve. Once completed, future housekeeping won't be so hard.

Good luck.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Download and run Malwarebytes, allowing the program to update before running it. This I think is currently the best free tool of its type available.
      Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Also download and run Spyware S&D
      The home of Spybot-S&D!

Unfortunately, malware has become so sophisticated, the only way to be 100% sure you have got rid of a trojan/keylogger/virus is to format and re-install your system.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

ronburgess is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crewe (Haslington)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: SkyHD anytime+
      Thanks

This sounds identical to what I have seen on many friends PC's that I have had to cure. It "seems" to be linked to their visits to Facebook and and having an e-mail client like live messenger open at the same time. Code on certain pages, I suspect some of the free games available on Facebook, access your e-mails contacts list and e-mails them ad's that usually start with something like -Have a look at my wonderful website etc..... I have run AV checkers which don't find anything related and even superantispyware which is brilliant and free which sometimes find somethings but not usually the cause of this (try it anyway) The best cure is change your log-in passwords to gmail/messenger and avoid having them open when using Facebook. Also don't use the "find friends" facility which accesses your contacts list (you give it your password to work, you haven't done this have you?) Been complaining on a couple of Forums about exactly this for nearly a year now! Good luck and let us know how you go on
      Ron

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. Ron, I'm a Burgess as well and I think you may have the cause. My wife is an avid Facebook user and does play some of the free games. However, neither of us uses Messenger and the "sent emails" are going from the email account I use and not the one that she uses. I don't use an actual gmail account but realise tha Skymail and Gmail are essentially one and the same. I have three Sky email addresses and use the same password to access all three. Should I change them all and have different passwords for each?

Initially, I intend to run Malwarebytes as suggested and then delete the sent emails and run Avira and Malwarebytes again. Then change email passwords and monitor to see if there is a recurrence. Also try to persuade my wife not to have skymail open whilst she is on Facebook.

Thanks again and will post with results.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveob View Post
      ...I have three Sky email addresses and use the same password to access all three. Should I change them all and have different passwords for each?
      It is actually good practise to have different passwords for each account. Admittedly most people will struggle with this, so it would be a good idea to use a theme and keep the passwords in the theme.

Examples of themes commonly used:

Breeds of dogs
      Latin names for flowers
      Technical terms for a hobby

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is something that I too have used in the past. It cleaned up a PC that was infected nicely. Unfortunately the infection also prevented me from browsing to the website where I could download the program, hence my original suggestion to purchase a PC Mag with some already on the enclosed CD or DVD.

Another trick I use is to navigate to an On-Line virus scanner, but I've seen these blocked too. A good one in the past for me has been Panda Active Scan.

Finally, all these adverts that say 'You have 100 emails', or whatever, should really be banned. They are a pain and all too often loaded with nasty stuff on their links. It is perhaps worth looking at beefing up your security.

Thanks

Have run Malwarebytes before and after. Nothing reported. Have deleted all "sent items" and have advised beloved not to have emial open when on Facebook. Changed email password. So far no recurrence so many, many thanks to all who replied.

Thanks

Great news, but I would seriously run other applications. Sadly one single package doesn't tend to find everything.

I'd recommend running the on-line scanner (as previously mentioned), also installing all the latest updates from Microsoft.

The following is a list of some tools that I have found to be useful in the past:

Adaware
      Advanced SystemCare
      Download Accelerator Plus (this is a download manager, set it to scan all files downloaded with your Anti Virus program, thus ensuring anything downloaded is caught)

All the above are available free to download & install. Each has fairly regular updates that you need to manually select. Each will also attempt to set homepages & install toolbars for you browser. Read the installation process carefully if you wish to avoid this and untick the relative boxes.

You've been relatively lucky on this occasion. Do look at how you can backup any data on your computer if you are not already doing this.