Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

There was a problem logging in.............

This is a discussion on There was a problem logging in............. within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Apologies if this has already been covered. I recently dual booted my PC to run Vista and XP (Vista ...

Longshanks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch Cardiff
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There was a problem logging in.............

Hi

Apologies if this has already been covered. I recently dual booted my PC to run Vista and XP (Vista preinstalled). I had initially set sky mail to send messages to Windows Mail in Vista and everything worked fine. I then tried to set up Outlook Express in XP and used exactly the same settings as Windows Mail (pop, smtp, password etc). However I keep getting the above message which goes on to say that my password has been rejected etc.

(I had been advised that there are no syatem conflicts between Windows Mail and OE in dual boot situation).

I understand that this may be due to gmail etc.

Can someone advise please.

Many thanks

Longshanks

2. Advertisement
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: There was a problem logging in.............

Apologies if this is addressed in the stickies but I canít see this specific issue. I have dual boot and have never had a prob with Sky/Google forwarding e-mails to Windows Mail so my Sky Mail and Windows Mail settings must be OK.

Now that I run XP I assumed that I could set up an Outlook Express account using identical settings as Windows Mail. Folk on other PC forums concerned that Windows Mail and OE didnít have any conflicts and dual boot is like having two PCs anyway.

I just wonder whether the gmail issue is only affecting OE users rather than Windows Mail. Surely others must be in the same boat. Whatever it is OE keeps giving me this Password rejected malarkey when I try to access e-mails.

Many thanks for your time.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Just thought I'd let you know that I reset my password in My Sky and then reset the password in Windows Mail to exactly the same and I now I get a slightly different log on to pop.tools.sky.com but this also tells me that my password is wrong!!

I then removed the Windows Mail pop account and rebuilt it using the correct password and other settings but I still get the same message.

I'm now in the postion of not being able to use either Windows Mail or Outlook Express to get my messages.

I'm really desperate and would appreciate any advice.

Surely it's not just moi??

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Longshanks View Post
      Just thought I'd let you know that I reset my password in My Sky and then reset the password in Windows Mail to exactly the same and I now I get a slightly different log on to pop.tools.sky.com but this also tells me that my password is wrong!!

I then removed the Windows Mail pop account and rebuilt it using the correct password and other settings but I still get the same message.

I'm now in the postion of not being able to use either Windows Mail or Outlook Express to get my messages.

I'm really desperate and would appreciate any advice.

Surely it's not just moi??
      Close down any e-mail client you may have open and then go to:

www.sky.com/unlock

Enter your username, password and the security image. Ensure that the captcha is successfully unlocked and then open up your e-mail client again and try to send/receive/sync.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for your responses. Iíve fixed the Windows Mail problem but am even more confused than ever.

I did the sky unlock as suggested but it would only work with my old password. I.e. not the one I currently use to log on to My Sky and Sky e-mail. I then went back to Windows Mail and tried all manner of user name and password combinations and finally got it to synch with my old password. I now have different passwords for Sky e-mail and Windows Mail.

ē Should I really have the same passwords for both Sky Mail and Windows Mail?
      ē If I change the settings in Windows Mail to accord with Sky Mail am I going to go around in circles again?
      ē Is there a difference between logging in to My Sky and Sky e-mail? I thought they were covered by the same log in and therefore the same e-mail.
      ē Is there a difference now between Sky Mail and g mail? Do you have to do something to gmail in addition to Sky Mail to configure the Windows Mail/OE set up?

Many thanks for your help. Iíve given up on configuring OE in XP now-just put it in the too difficult box!

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

• Should I really have the same passwords for both Sky Mail and Windows Mail?
      Should be, yeah.

• If I change the settings in Windows Mail to accord with Sky Mail am I going to go around in circles again?
      You're best logging into www.sky.com/setpassword. From there, change your password to the preferred password you want to use. Then configure Windows Mail with the new password in tools > accounts > server settings.

• Is there a difference between logging in to My Sky and Sky e-mail? I thought they were covered by the same log in and therefore the same e-mail.
      No difference. They both use your portal ID (the username bit of your sky e-mail address).

• Is there a difference now between Sky Mail and g mail? Do you have to do something to gmail in addition to Sky Mail to configure the Windows Mail/OE set up?
      Sky webmail is basically google mail. No need for you to configure anything via gmail.

Configuring outlook express shouldn't be too much of a problem. I only skimmed briefly over the tutorial, but I'm sure it's spot on:

Sky User - How do I set up email accounts in Outlook Express?

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks

I'm still having probs as now I only get mail going to OE and not Windows Mail!!

I'm having BT Infinity next week so will see if the problem persists with a new ISP.

Ta