Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Illegal attachment

This is a discussion on Illegal attachment within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; what the hell... I zipped some party pics to send to friends (less than 500kb), message appears to be sending ...

davy-g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stranraer
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Illegal attachment

what the hell... I zipped some party pics to send to friends (less than 500kb), message appears to be sending but then Thunderbird throws up this error message

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.0 Our system detected an illegal attachment on your message. Please
      5.7.0 visit mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590 Some file types are blocked - Gmail Help to
      5.7.0 review our attachment guidelines. h29sm10259750wbc.21. Please check the message and try again.

what the heck has Google mail got to do with Sky email??? ..DUH.. sky is powered by Google... DOH
      Last edited by davy-g; 15-10-10 at 07:16 AM. Reason: more info

2. Advertisement
      Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Illegal attachment

Quote Originally Posted by davy-g View Post
      what the hell... I zipped some party pics to send to friends (less than 500kb), message appears to be sending but then Thunderbird throws up this error message

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.0 Our system detected an illegal attachment on your message. Please
      5.7.0 visit mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6590 Some file types are blocked - Gmail Help to
      5.7.0 review our attachment guidelines. h29sm10259750wbc.21. Please check the message and try again.

what the heck has Google mail got to do with Sky email??? ..DUH.. sky is powered by Google... DOH
      I've sent some pictures to a friend and I just attached them to the email without ZIPPING them or Winraring the pictures. He received them fine.

I did send them with Office Outlook 2010, but I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference has it was sending/using my Sky email address.

Try just attaching the pictures to the email has they are, without zipping them, they should send OK

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

That message sounds like the pictures were corrupted in the zip file. Google don't ban zip files as such, only those that contain executable or code files.

If they are JPEGs ending them individually won't make much difference to the overall size as it's a compressed format anyway.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

if you want to send zip files use a free service like

www.yousendit.com

also the zip file may have been too big an attachment for the google mail servers to handle and threw up a random error message.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

davy-g is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stranraer
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

I sent the unzipped pics to myself and they went through just fine.. no hicups...I also sent them as a .RAR file and they went fine.. I could understand if I was zipping and emailing a .EXE or code file...but they were just plain old .jpeg files...would seem that Google is getting a wee bit heavy for no reason... i always zip files for email.. a throwback to the glorius days of dial-up