Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Mail and Mac Safari Mail

This is a discussion on Sky Mail and Mac Safari Mail within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi I have just gone live with Sky broadband, having fun getting to grips with Sky Mail. Question, is there ...

Reker1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01908
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Mail and Mac Safari Mail

Hi

I have just gone live with Sky broadband, having fun getting to grips with Sky Mail.

Question, is there a way of preventing mail being automatically downloaded to my Mac.

I was with BT before and when I opened my Mac Mail programme I was able to request mail download, with Sky Mail everything is downloaded as soon as the programme opens, even the spam?

There are times when I want to compose and send mail before going through the cycle of downloading mail. Anyway of being able to stop the automatic action?

Hopefully a reply will be forthcoming.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Mail and Mac Safari Mail

Try this in Apple Mail app:

Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced > Include when automatically checking for messages: untick
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I have already tried that trick to no avail, bit stumped.

I posted this question on the Apple discussion forums, the answer was the same as yours.

I don't really like the idea of my Mac's Mail programme just grabbing the mail from my online mailbox. I think you should be able to click the "Get Mail" button on the Mail header.

Someone must have an answer..................?

Peter

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I don't have a Mac so I don't really know, but surely there is a way to stop mail being requested. I would have thought that if you can do it with an MS program, the Mac would be just as good. In Outlook I can either turn off checking for mail or set an interval. Don't Apple have something similar?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky Mail and Mac Safari Mail-email.jpg  

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Isitme

Yes, you can get Safari Mail to ask for your emails, I have it set to request my emails manually, despite this the mail is still being downloaded automatically.

Interestingly having just changed ISP's new email address etc, amazing how quickly the junk mail finds you. In the time I have been responding to your post I have received 6.

Hence my desire to stop the automatic downloading of my mail.

Peter

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

OK, try this instead:

Mail > Preferences > General > Check for new messages: select "Manually" from the drop down list

That should stop Mail from automatically downloading from the server!

You will have to click on the "Get Mail" button in the toolbar when you want to send & receive mail.

(This works in Mail 4.3 (1081) on Mac OS X 10.6.4 - ensure you close Mail > Preferences after making the changes. Just to be sure, quit Mail and then start Mail again too!)
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Hi speedyrite

I think I now have the answer for this, when setting up mail, Sky recommends the use of IMAP, I have undertaken a fair bit of research on the net and it seems that if you use IMAP it will automatically sync the online and offline mailboxes, even if you have "Manually get mail" configured, as I already do..

I am prepared to be shot down over the above statement, I suppose I either accept the IMAP method or change back to POP, now that is a difficult one to answer.

For info I have the same software versions on my Mac that you have.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Have a look at the IMAP settings in your client, you should be downloading Headers only, so that any unwanted junk can be deleted from the server and not downloaded.

I am surprised that you are getting a lot of spam, the Google Spam Filters are very efficient. About the only spam I get now comes through from my Plusnet account.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Greetings isitme

When I open my Mac Mail it automatically sync's with the only mail boxes and I am able to open the emails on my Mac.

Spam, had 5 messages today already, better than my previous BT account, but surprising how quickly you get found on the net.

I have carried out further research on the IMAP protocol and it would seem that my automatic mail box syncing is how it works..................as I said in my previous post.

I suppose the bottom line is I could change back to POP, it would not be an issue for me, but I'm set up with IMAP now so will run with it for a while, it never hurts to learn new things. As my grey cells are getting on in years the challenge will do me some good.

I don't think I can do any more with this, so am prepared to call this thread solved.............

I appreciate yours and the other posters suggestions.

Surfing for me now, my line went live on the 29th June and I now have download speeds of 10.5Mbps, which is faster than my previous BT account which on the same line only managed 6.5Mbps. Great thing is Sky is so much cheaper than BT.

Thanks again guys.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reker1 View Post
      Spam, had 5 messages today already, better than my previous BT account, but surprising how quickly you get found on the net.
      You need to 'educate' the Postini spam filters that Google use, which can only be done in the web interface: Sign in then mark the offending items as spam[1]. I find it works really well in stopping future emails from similar sources. It also does no harm to check the Spam box from time to time to make sure there isn't anything in there that isn't spam (there's a 'not Spam' button for that).

[1] But only use it for genuine spam - if you're on a mailing list then that isn't spam; you should be able to unsubscribe it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast