Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

windows explorer and windows mail problem

This is a discussion on windows explorer and windows mail problem within the Sky Email and Portal Log-in forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure how to explain this or what thread I should use therefore I will apologise now and get on ...

DG8
      DG8 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0167140
      Broadband ISP: Sky +
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      At home with Nigglie Nellie my wife of 38 years in South West Scotland - My Post Code is DG8 ***
      Thanks

windows explorer and windows mail problem

Not sure how to explain this or what thread I should use therefore I will apologise now and get on with the cry for advice.

I'm using windows Vista home premium SP2 and am using windows mail, I have three email accounts two for Sky.com and one for Wanadoo.co. uk.

My windows internet explorer keeps going off line therefore I often do not receive emails until I remember to look and log back in, sometimes I do not notice for some period.

Would the fact that I use windows explorer and windows mail have a bearing on this? I have thought about just using Sky mail but I'm not sure what I have to do to change my settings away from windows mail, and what will the settings be for sky mail. And would I still be able to use the service I got from this site to access my wanadoo account with sky mail?

Unfortunately I know what I'm trying to say but do not know if anyone else will?

Would changing all my settings from windows internet explorer and windows mail to sky help and what are the setting to get my three emails to work just for sky?

All the best

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: windows explorer and windows mail problem

Your description is a bit vague. Are you using Web Mail (ie you compose and receive/send within your browser Internet Explorer) or are you using POP Mail where you compose in another program and send/receive from that program either automatically every few minutes or do it manually?

When you say your Internet Explorer keeps going off line I'm not sure what you mean. Does the whole connection stop working or only your access to web mail?

I don't think the actual mail accounts are likely to be the cause so swopping to others is unlikely to solve any problems.

Have you tried using Thunderbird as your email program? Look at http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U...rbird/all.html

DG8
      Sky TV:
      At home with Nigglie Nellie my wife of 38 years in South West Scotland - My Post Code is DG8 ***
      Thanks

No I don't use Internet Explorer to access my emails I use windows mail which is pop mail to compose/send and it is set to receive automatically every 10 minutes. When I say the connection stops working I get a message to say that internet explorer stopped suddenly and microsoft is trying to find the cause (something along they lines) As for Thunderbird I have heard of it but never tried it - I have been using Internet explorer for many years and am a bit scared to try new things so tend to stay with the things that I am comfortable with but am willing to change because of this problem that I'm having if you think it may help?

DG8
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just a note to say the nurse wants me to settle in bed to give my tablets time to work - will need to obey her that commands. I did ye all a guid nicht until the morn

Thanks and may ye all be blessed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DG8 View Post
      No I don't use Internet Explorer to access my emails I use windows mail which is pop mail to compose/send and it is set to receive automatically every 10 minutes. When I say the connection stops working I get a message to say that internet explorer stopped suddenly and microsoft is trying to find the cause (something along they lines) As for Thunderbird I have heard of it but never tried it - I have been using Internet explorer for many years and am a bit scared to try new things so tend to stay with the things that I am comfortable with but am willing to change because of this problem that I'm having if you think it may help?
      The fact that Internet Explorer stops working suddenly probably has nothing to do with your emails and is a problem with Internet Explorer.

Thunderbird isn't a replacement for Internet Explorer it's a replacement for Windows Mail which seems to be working correctly unless that stops working when Internet Explorer stops working.

You really need to try a different browser to see if that solves the problem. The most popular of the alternatives is Firefox and it's worth giving it a try. You can download and run Firefox very easily and it won't interfere with Internet Explorer in any way. If that runs OK then you have a solution - you can import your bookmarks etc from IE to Firefox so it really is an easy transition. I have IE8, Firefox and Opera on my computer and use Opera by preference but that's my choice!

Look at Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable | Mozilla Europe

You could also use Thunderdird as a replacement for Windows Mail. Again all your settings can be imported from your present program.

However try Firefox first.

DG8
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I tried Thunderbird and still received the error message - I have tried Windows Defender, Super AntiSpyware,McAfee Security and Malwarebytes all to see if they could find a problem and fix it - all reported clean?
      I deleted Thunderbird and tried Outlook Express again - still got the error message. anyone got more suggestions? Apart from putting the computer in the bin.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails windows explorer and windows mail problem-internet-explorer.jpg  

Thanks

I still think you should try Firefox. I don't see how sending email can cause IE to crash, so trying a different browser would show if the email was causing the problem.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Windows mail launches IE which then crashes. I would remove all add-ins that may be installed for your internet explorer to start with. Installing Thunderbird would negate IE as it is a standalone mail client so will not cause it to launch and crash.
      Firefox or Chrome as a default browser would point out if the issue is with IE8 and if it is then there are instruction online for the removal and re-installation of IE8 etc.
      How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?

Thanks

Good explanation PaulSky! So running Thunderbird can't cause IE to crash. So it sounds like IE has a problem and needs re-installing.

DG8
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thank you Paulsky and dms05 for your help I will try to follow your advice today - I apologise for taking so long to reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast